Another "Research" Gem From--Reader's Digest

More groundbreaking diabetes news from that paragon publication of science.

Does anyone else sense a pattern?

3 Likes

I hope you also noticed the important hidden nugget in a link of the above article, in the paragon publication – I quote:

On the flip side, eating this one food can lower your risk of diabetes. [pointing to the link below]

You are right, I am starting to see a pattern :slight_smile:

3 Likes

When I see these stories slamming meat consumption I can’t help but wonder the true reasons behind it. I do not take exception to anyone that adopts a vegetarian of vegan lifestyle. but there are those that vilify anything not vegan because of their moral objections.

I do not object to meat on a moral ground, nature has made meat a part of our diet, who am I to question it. I just wish that those that do object morally to keep their arguments out of the debate on nutrition.

5 Likes

If bacon is wrong, I don’t wanna be right. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I wasn’t told this specifically about diabetes, but a chiropractor I went to (only once…) told me I could put all of my autoimmune diseases into remission by going on a vegan diet. :roll_eyes: I do believe in her case (ulcerative colitis) it was true to an extent, as removing a lot of inflammatory foods and things hard on your gut can be helpful, but…you can’t make a blanket statement like that about any disease.

7 Likes

This sort of thing drives me crazy. When I was first diagnosed with Graves’ disease I joined an online support group and someone there told me that, because she believed she’d put her Graves’ disease into remission by avoiding gluten, dairy, and sugar, I could do the same. I told her I’d been avoiding those things for years already, due to other autoimmune conditions and allergies, and clearly it hadn’t prevented me from developing Graves’. She then told me that I could put all of my autoimmune conditions and allergies into remission, and that it wasn’t working for me because I didn’t believe it would work. GRRRR!!! What a way to support someone (not). And what’s more, Graves’ disease is known to sometimes go into spontaneous remission even when nothing is done, so there’s no telling whether this lady and others would have gone into remission regardless of any actions they took.

Of course, as frustrating as these people are, they can’t be entirely blamed when there are all sorts of articles that would seem to back up the claims (backed by no scientific literature except the odd cherrypicked study here and there).

6 Likes

Did you also notice the reader’s digest photo in which a person was trying to test their blood glucose with the test strip only?

Where is the meter Reader’s Digest?

Where is the meter?

7 Likes

I had not noticed, that is SO funny!!!

1 Like

It’s the new blood glucose system that will change your life!

If you would have clicked on the photo you would have been taken to the latest RD article about the massive study that proved overwhelmingly that the meterless test strip was the best and most accurate way to test your blood glucose!

3 Likes

Psychologically it has no equal (if you are an optimist).

1 Like

OMG.

I lived in Berkeley, CA for a long time. I love this town – but I ran into a lot of THESE people.

4 Likes

Another thing I hate about articles like this: What TYPE of diabetes are you talking about? It’s not until paragraph 4 that we get some kind of specific – “adulthood diabetes” – and what the heck is that, anyway?

3 Likes

Are their headquarters in Berkeley? :wink:

1 Like

Hahaha, I was too distracted by the fact that someone had jabbed themselves in the pad of the index finger, which made me cringe because why would you do that? No reason to when the sides of fingers (as well as other fingers) are so much less sensitive.

2 Likes

You don’t understand, it is the famous Reader’s Digest lancing method :wink:

2 Likes

Actually, I have always poked on the pads of my fingers, and the index finger is the second most used site after my pinky finger. I find the sides of my fingers far more painful.

1 Like

I never use my index fingers and thumbs.

3 Likes

Reader’s digest says poke the knuckles for best results. :wink:

5 Likes

The Reader’s Digest editor did that to the writer because they were late turning in copy.

That writer will never be late again.

4 Likes

As soon as I typed that, I started wondering which FUDer was going to object and say index fingers are the best, haha.

1 Like

I swear, we went to a highly recommended Endo in Orange County, CA whose intake nurse LOVED jabbing Eric in the pad of the finger, and then pulling really, really hard on his finger to get half a gallon of blood out of it, just for the glee of hurting someone I think. Turned us off of the OneTouch Ultra for sure. She must’ve seen it in Reader’s Digest.

3 Likes