"Can't" is a 4-letter-word (RANT)

Not sure if that’s the correct title, maybe it should be “Rage over supposed diabetic food limitations”
So, I belong to a food/recipe group on the social media site formerly known as Facebook. Its a smattering of types, from grandma recipes to chefs. Its fun. Anyway, someone posted yesterday asking for any killer diabetic dessert recipes for Thanksgiving. This one woman (who’s apparently an expert, because she vaguely remembers someone telling her about diabetes) starts on about what diabetics can/can’t eat. “Can’t eat fruit, peanut butter, or dairy.” “Can eat cranberry bread, strawberry shortcake, and sugar-free pineapple lush cake” (I had to look that one up. Its apparently pure chemicals).

I read this yesterday, and I’m STILL enraged about it. To the point that I want to find this woman, and shake her a bit. I politely corrected her, and posted some recipes. But I’m still muttering under my breath about it. Someone else suggested Halo Top bars, which is a good idea, except if I went to Thanksgiving and saw all this pie and yumminess, and I was offered Halo Top, I would probably become homicidal.
Yes, I will get to the point soon. I understand that this rage is something I should deal with, but I really don’t want to! I know where it stems from (at diagnosis, being told that I didn’t need to bolus for meals, but had to keep my BG between 80 and 150; every job since then making me prove that I’m “normal” by ignoring my body’s needs; every time a dr says, “oh, such and such is caused by diabetes” … oh really, diabetes causes cubital tunnel syndrome, bone spurs, and memory loss ?!?). Did I eat Halo Top and drink Glucerna? Yes, and I’m still angry about it!
I try to just let these things go, and this isn’t a poor-me whining rant, its a why the #%&&$_ do I let others off the hook when they make sweeping generalizations?
And l also feel protective of newbies I meet, and don’t want others to feel like they have to hide, or eat cardboard, so I politely correct people, just in case a fellow warrior should get misled by what others think of their disease.
Yes, low carb diet is good, but not everyone can do it. I certainly can’t, not without severe depression. Confession: after dx, before getting humalog script, whenever I was thinking that maybe none of it was worth it, I would sneak out and eat ice cream, then not eat for days, hoping that it would “even itself out”. God, I was a mess!
Ok, rant over. Time for tacos and ice cream. (With proper bolus).

11 Likes

I think the absolute level of confidence coming from people spouting nonsense is the most disconcerting part. I couldn’t imagine reading a book on being a teacher/tennis player and being absolutely certain that I understand it better than those living it every day, meanwhile talking down to them. That’s absurd.

I have a family member that recently finished nursing school, I said congratulations, you officially understand t1d better than I do.

5 Likes

I don’t understand that; rage is something I try to channel, otherwise it’s pointless and self destructive, but I certainly don’t “deal with it”. I don’t, myself, believe it is something that can be dealt with; it is a righteous reaction to a really dangerous state of affairs. As in your example, a statement, a prejudice, that will lead to T1D deaths if it is not fixed.

Politely correcting someone is the best approach; it, for certain, puts that person down. On the modern day SM sites people feel real bad when someone corrects them, but when it is justified it must be done.

4 Likes

People just don’t know anything about diabetes until it hits home. That’s the unfortunate truth about it. Before our son was diagnosed, thanks to movies and TV, I honestly thought it was a disease brought about by ingesting too much sugar. No lies…if only social media, TV and media outlets would explain correctly what it is I think there would be less confusion in an already confused world (more so today than ever.)

6 Likes

I used to be annoyed by it. I heard so many things like that over the years.

When I was diagnosed, the nurse told me I got diabetes because I ate too much sugar. :open_mouth:

I also heard that I could not eat any calories. :thinking:

Dumb statements about it by random people no longer bother me. I really don’t care anymore.

If the opportunity is appropriate and the person is receptive, I’ll try to inform them and help them understand it better.

But if they really want to be stupid, I don’t want to get in their way.

7 Likes

I guess, for the most part, its the passing on of ignorance. Like ignorance and false “facts” can become contagious. In any setting.
Non-D example: I worked at a cafe where the “chef” had convinced all the employees that mushroom stems were poisonous. I have no clue where he got his silly ideas from, but it took a long time, and I had to eat so many of them, to disprove him. To this day, I get angry when I prep mushrooms. (I still love them, and haven’t got sick yet!)

5 Likes

Love the “mushroom” story! Have to add my own: I was visiting my “soon to be wife’s” grandmother’s house for dinner. We got there a little early to “help.” I’m standing there with “grandmother” (all 4’ 11” of her little Swedish frame) when she pulls out a beautiful head of broccoli in one hand, a large knife in the other hand, and as neatly as can be proceeds to cut off every tiny floret into the sink and proceeds to wash them all into the garbage disposal! My lovely “intended”, standing next to me and her grandmother, feels me stiffen with shock and begin to ask just what the #*@$ she’s doing, quickly grabs my arm, and whispers in my ear, “They’re poisonous, I’ll explain later!” Dinner was fine…including all the “lovely” broccoli stalks!

7 Likes

I wish this were me…when I’m watching a movie or show that propagates false information regarding T1D, Erin says she can hear me through the entire house the way most men yell during football games…that’s me, only during bullsh** information propagation concerning T1D.

3 Likes

Congratulations!!

2 Likes

That’s me when they are breaking the laws of physics during movies like The Fast & Furious. :joy:

3 Likes

I should have said that better! The broccolli story happened back in 1978, we’ve been married 43 years now!

7 Likes

:wink: i just ignore and go my merry way

2 Likes

I thought everyone could launch a convertible off a ramp at 85 mph and grab a dangling rope from a helicopter one handed, spin in a circle 3 times, pull themselves up in a few pulls, throw an antagonist into the water, and successfully crash land with the engine on fire and a damaged tail rotor

5 Likes

I can’t speak for everyone but I know I’ve done that at least twice in my lifetime…

:laughing:

4 Likes