What is Omniopod Looping?

I am new to OmniPod and I was reading this site. What is Looping? I would love to try it.

3 Likes

Hi @Cathy625, welcome!
In short, looping is the use of a system consisting of a CGM and an insulin pump that has some level of automated insulin dosing based on the glucose readings from the CGM. There are multiple looping methods for different insulin pumps, but for Omnipod there’s currently only one DIY method as far as I know (correct me if I’m wrong).

4 Likes

So it depends a bit on which Omnipod you are using, only one version is loopable (I think). Welcome to FUD @Cathy625! I changed your title slightly to gain replies more quickly. I hope you don’t object.

2 Likes

Soon, the Dash will be loopable too, it’s going through testing. They figured out the bluetooth protocol.

4 Likes

Welcome to the AndroidAPS documentation — AndroidAPS 2.8 documentation gives a good description if you want to use an Android phone. That’s my approach.

I know a little bit about the iphone version, but not enough to provide any guidance.

At first, I’d recommend finding a basal profile that works well for you and be comfortable making the adjustments, but over time, can configure things to automate.

1 Like

I use Loop, the iPhone version. But prior to Loop, I was using AndroidAPS in open loop. I still use it for various reasons, including the UI on my Android which receives my Nightscout data.

If you have any specific questions about these DIY systems, please post! I’ve been using Loop auto-bolus branch since it was released on OmniPod.

2 Likes

A few of us have quite a few years of experience with Omniloop so should be able to address any questions you may have. Ask away!

2 Likes

That isn’t exactly the same thing though.

As of right now, the Dash loop isn’t open source. It is getting FDA approval. Which means that you won’t have the same control over the code and the BG adjustments as you can get from the current version of Loop.

For example, with the current Loop version a lot of people here are running, they can set their BG target to whatever they want. Even something like 70-80.

With Tidepool requiring FDA approval, it is very doubtful that they would let you set your BG targets to something like that.

The convenience of Tidepool will be that you can get a pre-built app. Just download it and it’s ready to go. Super easy.

But the inconvenience of it will be that you don’t have total control over it.

5 Likes

No, I don’t think Mark is referring to Tidepool.

I think Mark is referring to the existing, open source version that is being developed/tested for the AndroidAPS loop system, and many are already using it with OmniPod Dash. It is similar to Loop for iPhone, but runs on Android, and is a completely different dev group. It has been around for a while and supports other pumps as well.

4 Likes

Okay, sorry if I misunderstood!

4 Likes

I agree with you re: Tidepool. As a Loop user, I am hoping that Tidepool will be released with support for “Tight” control!

3 Likes

@Trying, I am not sure I understand the Dash comment on Looping though.

The Dash pods communicate with a different protocol (Bluetooth) than the older pods (RF).

Have the Dash comms been hacked too?

1 Like

Yes, Dash communicates via Bluetooth. AndroidAPS OmniPod dev team has this working already. So you don’t need the RIleyLink! Yes, Dash has been hacked!!

3 Likes

Awesome, thanks for the update! I did not know that.

I am guessing they used the same algorithm for the nonce, which was based on the pod’s ID number.

BTW, I will be rebuilding my Loop app today with all the new mods I have been looking into. Also ordered an Orange Link, which should arrive soon.

2 Likes

Yes, I think since Dash is based on Android, the apk was more approachable for Android! I hope it will eventually run with Loop, too, though!

I’m still on the original RileyLink. Its battery/port is showing a bit of wear now. I have another RileyLink as backup though which I’ve yet to use!

I’ve read on ZulipChat a while back that the Orange Link does need the latest Loop code, something to do w/ firmware issues. So hopefully you are downloading the latest to build with your changes.

1 Like

I only started working on it last week! So I assume the code pull I got would be okay. I got the FreeAPS branch.

I guess I will find out!

3 Likes