Loop vs. Omnipod Horizon

I’ve been procrastinating attempting Loop with Omnipod. I am not looking forward to the whole Apple developer thing and downloading the Loop code etc. I did this for Spike last year and decided it was too tech intensive for my current state of mind…trying to keep things simple, not overly complicated by staring at a laptop for hours on end.

I’ve been on pods with Fiasp for over a year and feel like I have my ratios dialed in pretty well, ended up with a 6.0 a1c yesterday which is pretty typical for me so no surprises there. The only BG management issue I still struggle with is late evening/overnight BG management. I’m having varied results which are costing me sleep time. I’m hesitant to drop off to sleep with a large-ish correction bolus on board, having been burned in the past by that approach. From what I’ve read, Loop (or maybe Horizon?) would be perfect for slowly bringing that BG down without overbolussing during my sleep.

So my question is…are there any Loop users who have looked into Omnipod Dash/Horizon (supposedly coming out in a few months)? I am trying to decide if I will delay Looping until Horizon comes out and try Horizon instead. If the advance word about Horizon is not so good, I might bite the bullet and try Loop. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

5 Likes

In general, I am not particularly interested in a solution designed for the masses. Some of us LIKE to be at 70! :grinning:

Although I am not a constant user of it, I do appreciate that Loop can be customized.

3 Likes

The Omnipod Horizon has some data out for its kids trials, and so far it seems like they’re running higher than you are – about an A1C in the 6.8 to 7.2 range. So I think their algorithm is less aggressive than the Control IQ in TSlim.
Just a guess though.

4 Likes

Not sure whether or not I will be bothered by the lack of aggressiveness or customization options as long as I can use the pods “open” (aggressively) for about 16 hours a day and “closed loop” (I’d be happy to flatline at 110 while asleep) while sleeping. I’m assuming that will be an option with Horizon but that is just speculation. There aren’t any user reviews out there for Horizon as far as I can tell…but my endo told me it is coming out in April.

The piece of the puzzle that I am procrastinating for Loop is:

Unfortunately for the tech industry I have spent about zero hours on Facebook over the past 5 years and don’t want to add that to my daily routine. Do you think a person on a semi-permanent tech holiday can successfully run Loop or does it require intense lengthy laptop staring sessions to keep it running?

3 Likes

It takes a little bit of time to get all the pieces together and built. Maybe a day.

Once it is built and on your phone and working, you are done with it. You can update it and rebuild it if you want to, but you do not need to. Once it is built, you are finished. The only time you need to rebuild it is if there is a new release, or a bug fix that you want to put in there. You are never forced to.

Other than that, there is no requirement, except that it lasts only 1 year on your phone with the development license, and you would need to rebuild it after a year.

I did it without any Facebook involvement.

2 Likes

Lately, AndroidAPS has become a serious contender since Omnipod support was offically released. I am currently using it in fully closed-loop mode. You won’t need a developer license and building the app comes at no cost. I ran it in open-loop mode for a while before deciding to order a link device for communicating with the pod.

The documentation is a long read, but it’s useful and comprehensive:
https://androidaps.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

5 Likes

I loop and I never joined facebook or the other spy sites. There’s no need for that. As Eric says, the Mac is only needed to build the app onto your phone once per year, or sooner if you decide to upgrade when the developers release a new version.

4 Likes

The Facebook Looped group is good for those that are encountering issues or errors for which they can’t find any troubleshooting tips for in the Loopdocs. Many questions people ask in the group could be avoided if people did their due diligence before posting their question.

There is a second, better group, imo which is a spin-off of the Looped group. It’s called Little Loopers and it’s more focused on the nuisances of looping for the younger audience of diabetics who are looping. Lots of… What have you tried for your x year old child for this or that… Settings discussions and those kind of things. The end goal of these discussions is trying to correct some deficiency, improve our own children’s control or to help other parents try to help improve their children’s control.

4 Likes

Which FaceBook group is being talked about here:

I don’t know what a “private group” is, but that seems to be all that is available. Nevertheless there are three of them, which to choose? (Even if FB will allow me to join them.)

2 Likes

Looped is the main Omniloop group. Little Loopers is the one for parents of loopers.

It’s an offshoot of three Looped group so you may be unable to see it until you’re in the main group.

2 Likes

Ok, I filled in the multiple choice. I never pass multiple choicies. I think I got one of the answers wrong. We shall see.

2 Likes

You will have another option with the Tandemn patch pump (tsport) which will :crossed_fingers:be released later this year and will also have control iq.

Based on what you said a I think you would be very happy with Control IQ. Overnight control is amazing and if that was the only feature I would still upgrade for only that feature. To be honest I can’t tell you the last time I’ve woke up to a low or a raging high BS. Most days I wake up between 90 and 110.

Anyway maybe something to think about.

4 Likes

Thanks, I had not heard about the t sport. Sounds like a good option.

1 Like

I have been inspired to try loopkng now that I know there is an android option!!! Before I invest in a Riley link I want to make sure my pods are compatible. Is this PDM and pod considered EROS?

2 Likes

It’s my understanding that the dash pods container has a bluish opening tab whereas the normal eros ones are white. We only use the eros so I can’t confirm or deny that this is true.

Someone with access to both kinds of pods this could be a useful post for FUD. How to differentiate between the dash and eros pods (with pics)

1 Like

My pdm is not a dash so I guess I am ERos

2 Likes

That’s a good way to tell as well! Awesome. I did recognize that PDM (using Eros), but I wasn’t sure if the Dash used the same PDM or not…after looking it up I see that they don’t. So that’s another great indicator.

Thanks!

1 Like

Yes, that PDM is the Eros generation. The Dash PDM is an entirely different device with a touchscreen. The two are incompatible since they use different methods of radio communication. Dash is based on Bluetooth, so it would be lovely if someone were to crack that protocol. Imagine having a loop with no other device than your phone :smiley:

4 Likes

I already have that…well, a phone and a RileyLink, but it’s small. :smiley: But I’m using Omniloop.

2 Likes

Of course, it’s really just a small extra thing. Do you have the original RileyLink? I got the one called EmaLink, and that one is really tiny. Now I finally know what that extra inner pocket on my jeans is for :laughing:

5 Likes