Can you now DIY Loop with Dash pods?

I heard something along those lines, but have not seen anything here about it yet. Does anyone know if this is legit? Can you build loop to run with Dash?

2 Likes

From Bradp on TUD

4 Likes

Insulet has contacted me several times about upgrading to Dash pods via pharmacy benefit but I have resisted because of reports of the clunky PDM app/device. I’d be willing to try Loop again though once the dev branch for Dash has the bugs worked out more.

5 Likes

I would want to keep my script for the old pods, because the old PDM is super easy to use without looking at it.

But if I can 1) bolus with an Apple Watch and if 2) I don’t need to have an iPhone with me to do it…this is something I would be interested in using for certain times. I would just buy a box of the Dash pods for those occasions

@CatLady, if you ever try it, can you please let me know if those 2 things are possible?

Thanks!

2 Likes

Not long ago, perhaps on a Loop-and-learn seminar, I think I heard them say they expected it would be about a month for DASH to become stable enough for widespread beta testing, and another month to get it ready for full release (i.e., in master rather than dev.) The LOOP app on the phone will look simpler so that it’s not aimed so clearly at the nerd/wonk demographic. Probably that means an extra button tap to see some things that currently show on the main screen.

5 Likes

I got the impression that you’ll need the phone for LOOP. I could easily be wrong about this, but my sense was that the watch app was more like a remote display for the real LOOP app running on the phone. Probably because of the watch’s severe power limit, they really can’t do much there.

4 Likes

Ugh.

Okay thanks.

For me then, the only difference between the two is that I wouldn’t need the RileyLink. By itself, that’s not enough to warrant a switch.

Not needing the phone and being able to bolus from a watch - those are the things I would mostly be interested in.

2 Likes

That was actually ME!

The code is still very much pre-beta but I’m using it right now and it works great!

You have to be willing to follow 2 different channels in zulip chat for updates and when to rebuild as well as report bugs.

You need a new script for the new DASh pods.

I called my endo to get switched over after swapping 10 pods with somone on facebook to try them out first. SHe said she would be contacting Omnipod to get everything switched over and insists that I be trained on the new PDM before they could write a script for the new pods. Not sure why, but she said those were the rules.

LOOP doesn’t need the new PDM, only the phone and pods. But I’ve read that it is a good idea to get the PDM as a backup just in case.

My insurance covers EROS pods under DME so it has a a copay and deductible. The new DASH and Omnipod 5 when it comes out are already approved on prescription side at 100% covered, so that will save me quite a bit of money!

And yes, you can bolus from watch. but not directly. Watch must talk to the phone.

There currently is no exact time table when it will be out of testing and ready for everyone to use, but shouldn’t be too long. Code itself works great. Just squashing bugs.

6 Likes

Thought so, but wasn’t sure!!!

2 Likes

Hmmm. When I started LOOPing on EROS pods Insulet told me that training was optional, merely for my convenience if I wanted it, and my endo simply wrote the script for the pods, no training. So it’s not clear to me exactly whose rules say you need to be trained before getting an Rx.

2 Likes

The rules are the rules imposed by whoever choses to impose them.

There are a lot of rules and there are a lot of entities who chose to impose them.

1 Like

Good for you! I had the opposite problem (previous DME was well covered, pay an arm and a leg for Dash now).

3 Likes

If anyone is interested in learning more, please watch this at least twice and pay attention to the caution statements:

5 Likes

I’ve gone through about 5 pods so far and have had no issues whatsoever but that’s just me.

7 Likes

Thanks for the awesome resource @bpollina!

2 Likes

Thanks very much for posting this. I knew it was under development, but it’s come a long way. I was considering trying AAPS, but that would require buying an Android and we’re just too close to Omni 5 being out (perhaps longer for iPhone compatibility). This is much more promising for my setup and comfort factor!

2 Likes

I totally understand. I like to tinker so what I did after swapping 10 eros pods with someone on FB for 10 DASH pods and liking the software was to order a PDM as backup and my normal order of pods thorugh my endo. THey should all be here early next week. So far in the 7or so pods I’ve tried, everything has run smoothly and haven’t needed to update loop yet. Definitely not for the faint of heart, though, because this isn’t even beta software its more alpha software. Keeping fingers crossed. Can’t use the nice buildselect script on dev branch. Wasn’t as hard as I thought to build though if you have a newer Apple laptop.

1 Like

I spent time reviewing the process, establishing NightScout, Heroku, MongoDB accounts, dling Xcode and the dev version of Loop, I spent a couple days slowly going over the process, then spent two days with frustrating red errors resulting in failed builds of the code. Tried multiple times today and about gave up. Had a breakthrough this pm and think I’ve got a working version of Loop for Dash on my iPhone, no PDM, Riley or other link required. Of course, I had to swap out an expiring pod just before the breakthrough! I’ll give it a run either tomorrow or in three days!

More to follow…

5 Likes

SUCCESS!! I connected my first Omnipod DASH via LoopDev last night. Was absolutely amazed with the result: I stayed right at 90 (88 lowest this am, up to 92 at one point) the entire night and thru morning coffee! I misinterpreted meal bolusing information for slower carbs and zoomed above 220 with breakfast (Cottage cheese, blackberries, raspberries, toast w/Peanut butter); re-read the guide and found my error. Total misinterpretation on my part.

Could use some education from others using Loop re: basal max. I put in the basal max from my Endo recommended for straight Omnipod (not Looping). My error with breakfast resulted in maxing out a few instances of Loop’s attempt to fix my error. My question (understanding nobody’s a doc providing medical advice): What’s a reasonable basal max and rationale for it? I’ll obviously discuss with my Endo at next appt.

Lastly, my Apple Watch shows a loop symbol, but selecting results in a flash and then back to the standard app selection screen. Any run into this using LoopDev? I’ll research more and post on GitHub if I can’t find a resolution…

3 Likes

3 to 3.5x max basal is the general suggestion. If you’re having prolonged highs, other settings may need adjusting.

3 Likes