Can you now DIY Loop with Dash pods?

So what do you think of the interface? I find all the are you sure? Are you sure that you’re sure? stuff annoying. I also don’t like that the amount of change isn’t displayed any more. Just the number and trend arrow. But I must say it pairs quicker and seems to prime a bit quicker. And of course I love that you no longer need an intermediary device like rileylink/orangelink! I’m so happy.

1 Like

@Millz No prolonged high as yet, but have only had it going 40 hours. Still re-reading docs and other guides from various people…still a lot to learn. One of the best things is getting rid of the PDM, though nice to have an backup, its very freeing to just use my phone! Will be great when the code is more widely available for others to use without having to play with the code…though going thru it makes you a bit more appreciative.

2 Likes

@bpollina I’m sure some will find the interface a bit “crowded” with info they don’t think they need or want (“Just the facts, pleas!”), but for those of us a little more geeky, it’s interesting to see the interplay of data. I can understand and appreciate the “surety” issues, may change with time and experience. I used Sugarmate previously specifically because I liked having the differential/rate of change, somewhat surprised, given what is displayed, that its not included. I read, from you (I think) and one other, the pairing and bolusing seemed quick; I agree, but then we all know the Insulet PDM is a low speed/high drag aged piece of equipment.

1 Like

I am using Loop with the Eros pods using the Autobolus (AB) mode. As suggested by @Millz, I set my max basal to 3x my standard basal. For AB mode though, the Loop algorithm uses the max BOLUS for calculating the auto bolus amount, so Max Bolus is very important in AB. If it is too low, you may not get a rapid enough correction, and conversely, if Max Bolus is set too high, you may get too many lows!

2 Likes

Oh, dear. I hope there are reasonably easy code customizations to comment out the initial ones. One of the really nice features of old LOOP is that if I want 2 units of insulin, I say “bolus, 2, deliver” and they do it. One of the pain points with the t:slim is that it takes about 10 button presses to issue the command, plus an additional two levels of confirmation before they’ll actually deliver the insulin.

I wonder if this and the removal of information from the main display comes from the Tidepool LOOP project, where they have some traditional pump manufacturer involvement and FDA approval concerns.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s what I though too - FDA involvement possibly. The original loop didn’t have so many prompts and definitely included the delta change number. But it is pre-beta software so maybe they will add it back later. It’s not horrible, just more steps/clicks when changing pods.

I think the speed is because it communicates directly. I don’t think the orangelink/rileylink sent the signals immediately so you had to wait a few secons for it to transmit. Definitely noticeable.

1 Like

Open source so it should be easy to configure to remove the prompts.

How did this happen? Did Insulet/FDA finally figure out that fighting the wind was futile, and relent to the forces-of-nature (meaning Us…)? Or did someone tear apart a DASH pod, X-ray the flash contents out, de-compile and then stare at the assembly for a number of months like the beginning? (Insulin Pumps, Decapped chips and Software Defined Radios | by Pete Schwamb | Medium)

Does this also work with the new Omnipod 5 that has integrated Dexcom hybrid loop support? (Of course, with that, Loop would be - I assume - pointless)

@Jimw338 Loop does not work with O5 pods, only with Eros (aka Classic) and Dash pods. Also, check out the Tidepool Loop having received FDA clearance; will be interesting to see what devices it will pair with…

2 Likes

I hope this does not diminish the efforts of the people working on Loop. Because anything FDA approved will suck in comparison to what people can do when they don’t need FDA approval.

Loop rocks right now. I hope it keeps rocking.

3 Likes

Loop 3 main just came out snd does dash pods without having to do a dev branch. I use that and absolutely love it! I tried omnipod 5 and hated it so went back after 3 to 4 months of it trying and failing to learn me.

2 Likes

Feel free to learn about it. The group on FB is called “Looped”

https://loopkit.github.io/loopdocs/

1 Like

AndroidAPS works with the Dash pod, not the O5 last time I checked. It’s just bluetooth so no need for the SW radio stuff; it’s already built in to the control device (the telephone).

I believe you are correct with regard to the “pointless” comment; the O5 pump is, as I understand it, directly communicating with the Dexcom so an indirect controller doesn’t make any sense and sounds dangerous in the manner of “too many chefs”.

With regard to how the Dash bluetooth protocol was reverse engineered I don’t know and this is probably not the best place to ask. The systems, like AndroidAPS, are experimental research systems and unless some fool goes to great and pointless length bluetooth communications can be hacked.

I originally wanted to go to the O5, having used Dash for years, but I couldn’t so I went to AndroidAPS and it works, so I’m not fixing it any time soon :slight_smile:

1 Like