Welcome, introduce yourself here!

That is a great metaphor!
Welcomed and most of us would like reading your introduction to T1.

3 Likes

Welcome @Piscaro!

1 Like

Sugar Surfing is another good term, and a good book and website by Stephen Ponder by that name.

Hi, my name is Sumi but you can call me Loo. My 11yo daughter was diagnosed T1 about two months ago, so this is all super new and weā€™re in that crash course into a new life for us. We live in northern CA and my husband and I have three younger children, two of whom have food allergies so food has already been a source of stress here for a while.
My daughter Charlotte has a shiny brand new Dexcom G7, is doing MDI with humalog and Lantus for basal. We will explore pumps once the software updates come out for the G7.
I have been very underwhelmed with our endo/clinic (Kaiser), but at this point Iā€™m grateful that they cover the CGM and a low copay for insulin. I feel mostly on my own with this stuff, so I was pleased to find this forum of similar minded diabetics and parents.

11 Likes

Welcome, and sorry you had to join this club.

However you will be inspired by the folks here, who are very creative at finding ways to live unlimited, despite diabetes.

I was dx in 1965, and amazed with how current tech can help us so much. I use a Tandem pump with Dexcom. I learned more from forums than from the docs.

Think Like a Pancreas is a good book, along with Sugar Surfing.

Ask away!!!

3 Likes

Welcome @ladyloodeeloo you will find many others here who have younger T1s and can probably give you some great tips when they pass by. Until then, there is a plethora of information in the archives and lots of help if you ask. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Welcome this is a good spot for info. Most CGM pumps will work without a compatible CGM, you just donā€™t get the algorithm functionality. So you really donā€™t need to wait for them to be compatible. Just need to be sure the company is on track to make them compatible. Tandemn will make their update sometime this year.

4 Likes

Welcome Loo - sorry to hear about your daughterā€™s diagnosis. There are lots of neat features on the discourse platform that we use here - are you familiar with them? One that I would recommend is the profile feature - you click on the avatar to the left of the post and it gives you the profile of the person - especially w/r/t their diabetes condition.

I live in the Boston area, which is blessed with great medical care. Even so, thereā€™s a huge variability in diabetes treatment and diagnosis. I started being treated at my local hospital in 2010, where they diagnosed me as type 2 and gave me metformin and insulin. Once I made it to the Joslin Diabetes Clinic in downtown boston, they were able to accurately diagnose me as Type 1. All of which is to say, itā€™s a tricky disease and the more experience doctors have with it, the better for the patients.

Iā€™d suggest checking what you hear at the clinic with the folks on this board, especially from those who have kids with T1.

Good luck. There are lots of great new technologies these days that make diabetes much more amenable to management. (I am on a Dexcom g6 with tandem pump)

7 Likes

Welcome, Loo! Iā€™m parents too a great 9yo who was diagnosed at the ripe old age of 2! We currently use the Dexcom G6 with the Omnipod and DIY Omniloop system (you can find the group on FB if you search for ā€œLoopedā€)

Welcome once again! Itā€™s going to take some getting used to and it will change your life (I donā€™t remember my parenting before my sons T1D diagnosis.). It is definitely more work but itā€™s a labor of love to me. I want to make sure my son is healthy both in the short and long term so it required me to deviate from the endo in care. While most Endos would prefer kids to stay in the 200s forever, that isnā€™t good for our kids long term health with all the severe conditions that stem from long term hyperglycemia.

Welcome again!

5 Likes

Welcome, Loo, It is really hard to get all the stuff one has to do in managing diabetes for us adults, but for a child and their parents it is a whole ā€˜nother layer. Welcome to this group, they are great. And sorry your child (and you) are having to deal with this, but it will become easier.

I know some diagnosed with type 1 and small children who are now senior adults. They did not let being Type 1 interfere with living a full and complete lives, including sports of all sorts.

4 Likes

Hello, Iā€™m Rachel! Found this forum today and have already learned a lot. I live with my husband and our two cats in Utah, USA. I love reading, cooking, horror movies, summertime gardening, and watching clouds.

I was diagnosed T1 in 2003 at age 8. My older brother is also T1, and I was diagnosed on the exact same day he got his first insulin pump. (Iā€™m sure it was a very long medical day for our parents. :sweat_smile:)

Over my first year diagnosed, I was in denial and was an absolute diabetic menace. My apologies to any parents who have dealt with that! At my worst I had an A1C of 10. But now I am 6.3-6.4. Those of you in the <6 range are inspirations to me. :pray:

I use the Tandem t:slim X2 pump. Iā€™m in my second month using a CGM. I just got my first Tandem-compatible Dexcom G7s, so Iā€™m trying Control IQ for the first time and hoping for the best. :muscle:

Iā€™m fortunate to have made a close friend in college who is also T1. My brother and the rest of my family are so helpful too. It makes such a difference to have community. Looking forward to sharing and learning with you all!

11 Likes

Welcome Rachel !!

Glad you joined, look forward to your posts.

I was dx in 1965, and so much different than todayā€™s current treatment and tools.

I am also using Tandem X2, but used Medtonics pumps since 1984. Before that, injections daily by syringe, before pens.

Glad you found this forum.

8 Likes

Welcome!

3 Likes

Thank you! Amen, science is wild. I was doing MDI for the first six years, then a pen for a year before I got my first pump (Deltec Cozmo, then Animas Ping).

In college I bolused and ran to catch the train, accidentally leaving my breakfast at homeā€¦ A nice woman on the train saw me downing glucose tabs and offered me her PB&J sandwich. She told me all about her husband who was diagnosed in the '60s as well. Only being able to check his blood sugar at doctorā€™s appointments blew my mind. I am so grateful for treatment advancements!

8 Likes

Welcome!!!

2 Likes

Welcome to FUD, @RachelMaraii !

There are a few of us here on FUD who had that same experience with diabetes. I did not get a home BG tester until my last few years in high school.

But all those years of not being able to test has helped me a lot! Most of the time I know my BG better than my Dexcom does.

7 Likes

Welcome, Rachel. Thanks for sharing your story. :butterfly:

2 Likes

Welcome!! I was also diagnosed at age 8 except 22 years earlier!!

I also use Tandem with CIQ and it does well for me.

2 Likes

Hi! My name is Jim and I live in South Carolina, having retired from Washington DC area 20 years ago. I spend a lot of my time working in the yard and playing bad golf. My wife and I travel a lot, taking long road trips, cruising oceans and rivers, and flying off to here and there. I am a Type 2, insulin dependent diabetic. Take Tresiba and Victoza, and use a Dexcom g7 monitor.

10 Likes

@Jwarfi Welcome to a good group of folks here at FUD! We may be irreverent at times, but all is meant in the best interests of each of us. Feel free to ask or answer questions and add your perspective!

4 Likes