Welcome, introduce yourself here!

Can Garmin watches be used as a receiver using xdrip? Without using a mobile phone or app on the phone?

@perfors Garmin watches run a proprietary operating system, not Wear OS. XDrip+ is built for Wear OS.

So the Garmins canā€™t run as xDrip+ collectors. With a little finagling they can be used as display devices with a phone.

Hi @Jan - Iā€™m nearby you in Alberta. :wave:t3: Welcome to the forum :+1:t2:

Iā€™ve been T1 since age 5 (56 years). And like you, I donā€™t know any other T1ā€™s IRL
Jim

3 Likes

@Jim_YYC
Thanks! So nice to meet you. I love Alberta, Lethbridge, Medicine Hat. Iā€™ve had several grad student from southern Alberta.

3 Likes

The pleasure is all mine Jan

Donā€™t hesitate to ask any question(s) you have - to me or others on the forum. T1ā€™s all have the same basic root metabolic issue - however your diabetes may vary ( everyone is different).

You have much snow on the ground where you are Jan?

3 Likes

@Jim_YYC
No, weā€™re pretty bare grass right now. We had some heavy, heavy snow in early October this year, but itā€™s warmed up and melted off. We had drifts of such wet heavy snow melt at once that we had big overland floods that took out some roads. Really weird!

3 Likes

Montana is a lot like CALGARY ā€¦ if you donā€™t like the weather just wait 20 minutes :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

We had a foot of snow last Tuesday, but half of itā€™s melted. Tonight weā€™re starting a run of sub-zero (Celsius) temps for a week and likely associated snow :snowman:

3 Likes

@docslotnick,. Received watch today. Paired with phone, searched Play store on watch and downloaded XDrip phone app. Up and running in less than 5 minutes.

2 Likes

Hi everyone. I sort of introduced myself in the wrong thread because I hadnā€™t found this one yet. Iā€™m Trisha. Iā€™ve been Type 1 for 27 years. I live in Alberta with my husband and 2 kids. Iā€™m a teacher, I use pods and am trying to love my Dexcom 6 that Iā€™ve had since October.

Today I had to start a new sensor and have been feeling woozy for hours. I hate new sensor day with the Dexcom. Does anyone else feel woozy when they start a new sensor? It also happens when my teenagers flop on me on the couch and put all their weight on my pods and or sensor.

7 Likes

Welcome @Trisha! Glad you found the introduce yourself thread. Glad to have you onboard. You certainly are using the cutting edge tech. My son does not have any issues on day 1 of the sensors, i.e. woozy, but we have also acclimated to the G6 using it daily since it came out. I am sure someone will be by that has a similar experience.

1 Like

Thanks Chris!

Welcome, @Trisha. Glad youā€™re here. I donā€™t use the G6, so I canā€™t provide any help with that.

@Trisha
Welcome!
Iā€™m relatively new to G6 too, Iā€™ve had it since end of August. I have anxiety and always get anxious when I have to put on a new sensor. That makes me feel a little woozy. I guess Iā€™m worried about getting it on right and in the right place, about getting a bleeder, about it tracking finger sticks, you name it, Iā€™m a worrier. But after a while the feeling goes away and Iā€™m ok. Kind of like if you cut your finger, even if blood doesnā€™t bother you, you can still feel kind of queasy.
I think once you get more familiar with wearing the sensor, that feeling will go away.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @Trisha

The first 24 hrs with a new Dexcom sensor is always iffy for me. Iā€™ve taken to inserting new sensors and letting them soak for 24 hrs prior to installing a live transmitter. This seems to minimize the whacked out readings new sensors give us as the traumatized area becomes one with the sensor filament.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone!

@Jan- I donā€™t have anxiety about sensors or pods. I always have to lay down for blood tests because I get faint, and this is a very similar feeling. Itā€™s gone now, it usually takes a few hours at least.

@Jim_YYC- Thatā€™s an interesting idea, Iā€™ll try putting in the new sensor early next time.

All of my previous Dexcom 6ā€™s have been started in the evening, which helped because I could lounge and wait out the wooziness, but I wanted to switch to the morning because every other sensor has been loud and annoying through the first 12 hours, when I was asleep. So the day came, I happily started this one in the morningā€¦

and got no alarms at all. Not a single one.

2 Likes

Hello everyone! Iā€™m an actor, director, and a sometimes theatre producer. Iā€™ve been a professional actor for 42 years, so Iā€™m not young. I live in beautiful Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, although I work across the country. If you look at IMDB under John Koensgen youā€™ll see a smattering of film, tv, and voice work that Iā€™ve done over the years. Whatā€™s not there are well over 150 plays that Iā€™ve worked on. At the tender age of 43, I became a t1d and went on to insulin as soon as I could. They tried me on oral meds for a few months but that wasnā€™t working. As soon as I could I asked to go on insulin. Now Iā€™m home! Iā€™ve been pumping for 15 years and just started using a Tandem t-slim 2. I tried the Medtronic 630G but didnā€™t like it. Using a pump saved my career. I had been crashing onstage and was resigned to leaving acting because it was too difficult to manage my BG while working. That first pump saved me. These days Iā€™ve been busy doing mostly voice auditions and Iā€™ve just finished producing and directing an audio version of a play I directed in 2008; Disaster by David Oā€™Meara (an amazing poet). Itā€™s all edited and weā€™re almost ready to launch it online! Soā€¦ hi, lovely to meet you all.

11 Likes

Wow that is quite the resume! Really glad you posted, and even more excited to get to know you on our boards. T1 at 43 is kind of a gut punch, but I guess all diabetes diagnoses are kind of like that. The pump reducing your crashing is awesome. We use the T-slim with Dexcom and Control IQ. It is really amazing how much control my son as for so little input. Welcome!

2 Likes

Welcome! Impressive acting career! I have been in many plays in my day and when i was younger i especially l loved musicals - always just local theaters. Oklahoma (Will Parker) and JCSS (Jesus Christ) were my two favorites.

Gratz on your t1 management and welcome to the forum!

3 Likes

Hi All, our son didnā€™t get his Hogwarts letter for his 11th birthday a few weeks ago. Instead there was (still is) the coronavirus pandemic, and in the midst of it, he was diagnosed with T1D. Not cool. We were in the hospital for a few days and now weā€™re slowly getting used to the new normal. Fortunately we have good insurance, and jobs. Canā€™t take that for granted these days. Weā€™re an active family, lotā€™s of running, biking, hiking, skiing. And weā€™re generally upbeat. We wonā€™t let this slow down our son, so Iā€™m looking forward to joining FUDiabetes, for my son and myself to help him along. Cheers, ~Andre

12 Likes

Iā€™m so sorry to hear of your sonā€™s recent t1d diagnosis. Iā€™m glad you found this site though to help you along the way in supporting your son.

It is a tough disease to cope with and I have learned over the years that some of the best resources for understanding this disease come from other diabetics.

Welcome to FUD and donā€™t hesitate to post topics on which you need help!

7 Likes