Welcome, introduce yourself here!

@Jan Welcome to FUD.

I was diagnosed at 19 and have 48 years under my belt. Glad to see another “old timer” around here.

Also using MDI. But my basal is Tresiba. I’ve found that it gives me greater control and truly lasts for 24 hours. I had started basal with Lantus, moved on to Toujeo, then started Tresiba when I was looking for an insulin that I could take just once a day.

Does Lantus give you 24 hours? I’ve heard of some people who just love it.

4 Likes

Welcome, @Jan! I’m another “oldie” who felt alone for many years before finding this group. I was diagnosed when I was 11 years, and have lived with it ever since - 47 years. I have used a pump in the past, but am quite content at this time in my life with MDI with a CGM. And I hope you do ask many questions - as a teacher you are already aware that there are no foolish questions. We are all learning around here - and helping each other along the way.

4 Likes

@docslotnick - Yes, Lantus seems to work for me once a day (at bedtime). I don’t have the “dawn phenomenon” apparently. Nice to meet you!

2 Likes

Welcome, and feel free to start many threads and ask as many elementary and advanced questions as you would like. That is what keeps this place interesting after all.

2 Likes

Welcome @Jan!

WELCOME JAN. i’ve had it for 52 years. i will never stop having questions. i, too, lurk around this site. i was 17 when diagnosed. i am about to start with a continuous glucose monitor - i keep hearing how much it helps with control. i take humalog plus lantis. i was a human service counselor but loved animal science the most, preferring to animal track, etc here in Maine. i think that teaching is a most honorable career.
anyway, you are not alone here, and please do ask many questions, however simple you may believe they are.

4 Likes

@catsup - The Dexcom takes a little getting used to, but I’ve had mine since the end of August and I think I’d feel lost without it now. I’m ashamed to say my a1C was 8.6 but since the Dexcom it’s down to 6.6. Definitely worth it! I wish you good luck with yours.

3 Likes

Totally agree !
I started with medtronic cgms (sof-sensors) first, and as inaccurate (and painful insertion) as they were, it was an eye opener 15 years ago. Prior to that I only was instructed to test BG before meals, to calculate meal bolus, so never knew how high it spiked after meals.

Dexcom was big improvement (Dexcom Seven) after sof-sensor, and each subsequent version better than previous. Definitely the key tool that led to significant improvements in my bgs and A1Cs, and huge improvement over early days of testing for urine glucose in test tubes in the 60s !

4 Likes

Hi, I have a dexcom G6 and am looking for a watch that works as a receiver without a phone. Today I have a FINOW Q1 Pro 4G. This works as a receiver for Xdrip. But the battery life is only 6-8 hours. Will a Samsung watch work the same way? Would like to have a watch with sim card.

1 Like

@perfors Welcome to FUD! Would like to hear more about your experiences with the Finow Q1 Pro.

Unfortunately, the Samsung watches will not work in the same way. They can only be used as display devices. Their operating system is Tizen, which is not fully compatible with xDrip+.

The reason your Finow works so well is because it’s essentially an Android phone, running a full version of Android. Any other type of Android watch you get at best will work as a collector, but not a full blown version of xDrip+, SIM card or not.

With a Wear watch running as collector, you still need an Android phone with data for sharing or uploading data.

You might be better served investing in a small battery for recharges of the Finow throughout the day.

1 Like

Please keep me posted on this as well. I am looking for a standalone watch that can sync with dexcom g5 and g6. I have become my parents when it comes to technology So it is pretty hard for me to figure out

3 Likes

Welcome @perfors! Hope that you will find the answers you need here. Won’t be me, though. I am just here to say welcome. :hugs:

1 Like

Thanks for quick feedback.
found this on facebook:

“I’m on again off again with my Ticwatch pro running standalone with Dexcom G5.*
Today I forgot my Android phone at home so when I got to work I had no readings.
I enabled Force Collector on the watch and voila! It has been a good day.”*

Is this a possibility?

Do you have any experience with using this? Realize that this one does not have SIM, but if it works as a stand alone receiver, it would be perfect.

1 Like

@perfors Yes, the Tic watch pro is one of the few Android watches with which people have had success running as a collector right out of the box.

But unlike the Finow, it’s not full blown Android (can’t run full copy of xDrip+, must use watch version) and has no SIM for data transfer. You’ll still need an Android phone running xDrip+ for once or twice daily maintenance.

@Sam A Finow Q1 Pro is about as standalone as you can get. It’s like having an Android phone on your wrist.

But it’s big and a power hog. I’m surprised that @perfors gets 8 hours.

1 Like
Do you know if there are clocks in the pipeline that will work well as stand alone receiver? Surely this must be a stable good market for watchmakers?
Regards
PF

@docslotnick there is also available in US a Ticwatch Pro LTE version with service through Vzw for those that might want a stand alone collector.

1 Like

I really wish Apple Watch could get their act together

1 Like

@elver Is the Ticwatch Pro LTE capable of running a phone copy of xDrip+? That would be necessary for any data uploads from xDrip+.

That would be amazing.

1 Like

I have one on order, so time will tell @docslotnick

3 Likes