Welcome, introduce yourself here!

Yes, we don’t use the CGM as gospel, but rather as a nice improvement that helps remind us every day what the effect of food and activity are on your bg. It is a fantastic training tool, as well as another layer of safety from extreme lows. It does bring a lot of peace of mind to my wife and I.

3 Likes

Yes it does offer peace, I love the alarms especially during the night.That is a true blessing at least for me

3 Likes

Hello,
I’m Mike, diagnosed as a t1 about 15 years ago at 35 yo. Have been snooping around the forum for a few months now and I decided maybe I should join on the discussions.
I’ve found a good deal of information from you guys which helped me figure out this whole CGM thing (G6) which has been quite an adventure so far. The insurance company dropped lantus from it’s list, so I just started Tresiba yesterday, so that will be fun too :roll_eyes:.
Thanks for letting me join in and hopefully I can add something meaningful.
Thanks

13 Likes

Welcome!

Welcome, glad you decided to participate, there really is some good info here. I was on tresaba/humalog before pump and really liked it. Really liked it’s long action time for if/when I missed a dose.

1 Like

Hi @Mikeb - welcome to the forum!

Like you I was on Lantus for what seemed like forever until I moved to a pump / CGM a few years ago.

Loads of experience here - great to have you on board. :grinning:

1 Like

Welcome! I’ll be interested in hearing your thoughts on Tresiba vs Lantus. I’ve used both, and I think both have their pros and cons.

I’m currently using Tresiba, but I’m going to try to switch to Lantus at my next doctor appointment on May 10th. It seems that most folks using Tresiba notice a dose change within 12-24 hours. Dose changes don’t seem to be visible for me for at least 24 hours. This can create major problems when my routine changes significantly. However, I wouldn’t be surprised if my control is better on Tresiba when my routine is more stable. It took me awhile to really be aware of this problem after switching to Tresiba, so it’s a little hard for me to make a direct comparison with Lantus, I’m also using Afrezza now, and I wasn’t using that on Lantus.

I’m going to talk with my doctor about this at my next appointment. I’d like to switch back to Lantus for a bit so I can re-evaluate my control on Lantus again. At that point, I may opt to continue Tresiba, but I think I want to have Lantus on hand for traveling. My basal needs really change when traveling, and it’d be nice to have a basal that only lasts 18 hours for those times.

Anyway, glad you found us! I love to hear new opinions on the different long-acting insulins.

2 Likes

Well I’m on day 4 now, so far I am amazed at how mellow the Tresiba is compared to the Lantus. The lack of peaks is something I am still trying to get used to. With Lantus once I was below 75 I knew a low was coming real soon if I didn’t grab some carbs. If the Tresiba stays as smooth as it has been so far I think I may well be able to keep my a1c in the mid 5’s. For the past 24hrs xdrip shows it at 4.9 :grin:

8 Likes

I hear you and can relate 200%. I can take off on a bike ride or a 5k run at 80 with tresiba… which is an absolute ordeal for me physically because I’m an out of shape slob, but I don’t have to worry too much about my blood sugar with tresiba… I consider it a godsend even though I had pretty decent results with Lantus… tresiba lifestyle is just sooo easy… last a1c 5.2

3 Likes

Any reason why you wouldn’t try Levemir? If I weren’t allergic to it, that would be my choice, for adjustability reasons—seems like it’s the best long acting for the ability shift basal doses. I find Lantus somewhat variable in its performance, and my impression is that Levemir doesn’t have the same issues.

1 Like

The one thing I’m really going to miss about Tresiba is that I could push my dose to a later time and the effect was minimal. There wouldn’t be any major problems if my basal was 2 hours late.

My understanding is that Levemir drops off faster than Lantus, and the times you need to dose is based somewhat off the amount you dose each time (dose more and levemir will last longer). I guess I thought it sounded complicated and unknown. My doctor was very willing to prescribe Lantus at my last appointment. I suppose it just seemed like the easier of the two since I’d used it before.

1 Like

Day 6 and still smooth. My days off were pretty much the same as my work days control wise.
For reference, my work days generally include about 4-5 miles of walking with about 2 miles of that up and down steps, my off days I try to stay under 2 miles :grin:.
The one thing that I have noticed is that really small doses of humalog seem to work well to make minor corrections, with Lantus it seemed like a 1 or 2 unit humalog dose did nothing… or way too much… Oh and Tresiba hasn’t tried to kill me in my sleep yet either :smiley:

2 Likes

Hello my name is kimberly I was diagnosed at 9 yrs old and am now 32 yrs old I’ve been on lots of different things even the watch that would leave a ton of red bumps all over your arm but that’s no longer around thank goodness lol anyways familiar w animas Medtronic dex Omni novolog humolog regular Lantus NPH for now I’m with Medtronic hybrid 670g pump and have a few things I no longer use if anyone needs

5 Likes

Wow, I was working on glucose sensor technology in the 90’s and I remember the GlucoWatch, good idea, but a pain in implementation.

Are you using the 670 in Auto Mode, if so, how do you like it?

1 Like

Lol yes! I actually love it because I don’t require much insulin as in since I try my best to avoid starch and heavy carbs so my total basal comes out to about 10 units not including meal boluses and what used to be threshold suspend and now integrated with auto mode works out best for me because at times I don’t require hardly any insulin maybe just .25 and so those automatic micro doses works best w me!!! But it took some getting used to letting that go and allowing the pump to do what it does best I was always used to correcting myself bolus extensions and over bolusing as precaution but once u let go it’s the best! Then all u really have to worry about it your unit to carb ratios being correct!

4 Likes

Well I am glad it has worked for you. It appears that it works in many but certainly not all. I am still trying to understand that, I am guessing that it may have something to do with how much a person’s control mechanisms are still in place. i.e. the YDMV (Your Diabetes May Vary) thing.

One of our current members who just ran a 1/2 marathon (Go Nicky) just couldn’t make the auto mode work for her.

Well u also have to put in in a different auto mode for specific circumstances like exercise or something that may cause u low blood sugars because auto mode is set for u to always run 120 but for this only other auto mode is to allow u to run 150 so u don’t drop! Def need to read your Manuel to be sure u know all your options!

Yeah, I think it is quite a bit different than the settings. The problem for many is that the micro doses aren’t enough and at night they weren’t receiving enough insulin so they would wake up high every morning, and then try to trick to system into giving them more insulin…rinse and repeat.

Here is one of the many threads discussing the issue. The thread is long, but does end on a high note.

2 Likes

Hi Kim! Glad you wandered over. Thanks again!

The GlucoWatch! The only one I’ve ever seen is in the film “Panic Room” with Jodie Foster and Forest Whitaker. In the movie the watch is a key teaser/plot point, and is warn by the Foster character’s daughter. For the longest time I had that movie on my list of Great Hollywood T1D Fails because of it. I only found out decades after seeing it that there actually was such a thing as a wrist-watch glucose monitor. The gadget was critical to the plot, and I always thought they’d just made it up for that reason.

If you haven’t seen it, it’s actual a darn good suspense flick with a solid cast (I’m a huge Foster and Forrest Whitaker fan), and as movies with a T1D plot line go, it’s more accurate than most. Yes the girl is gonna need a shot, but it’s actually a glucagon kit not an insulin shot for once, so they got that right, and the watch gadget wasn’t hokum, though the one in the movie is a mock-up, as the real thing hadn’t been released to the market yet. By all accounts they didn’t work very well, but I never heard they left welts on your arm. I guess it did involve penetrating the skin, huh? I never knew how they were supposed to work.

4 Likes