Welcome, introduce yourself here!

Humm well my A1C for April was 6.2 so it’s working for me and I read that post and it’s true it takes adjusting for those of us that are on top of things type a personality just having everything and always trying to prevent and be caution of all outcomes so yes it took a while for ME to let go and allow it to do all that thinking and calculations but once you fully let go and strictly only count your carbs for eating it’s worked out for me I don’t have to worry about the duel or extended bolus auto mode does it for me so it’s been a blessing and just less effort needing to think of all those precautions I used to think about and yes u have to let the pump learn what your body needs and it learns on its own the more your in auto mode the better it gets to know u and predict your needs but yes you need at least a full 24 hrs on Manuel mode and then start on auto and then I would say a day or two to get your base line so overall at most 5 days your good the pump is smart and always learning but u also have to strictly bolus only for your carbs ex if it’s 25 carbs u input 25 you cannot and shouldn’t say oh but this is a heavy carb I should really input 30 NO you won’t let it learn and adjust for u so once u let go of that control Everything falls into place!

1 Like

Lol basically left a hickey on your arm/wrist luckily I was only trialing it and it failed! Seemed like a great idea but execution was not there

2 Likes

What about high glycemic vs low glycemic foods? Or when you eat a lot of fat + carbs (eg pizza). How does it know that you’re going to be digesting the carbs over several hours?

I’m glad you’re getting a 6.2% A1c. That’s great. If you don’t mind me asking, what kind of average bg level and standard deviation does that give you? What’s the goal? Thanks :slight_smile:

Also, welcome to the forum!!!

2 Likes

Welcome, @KimZ !!

I also had the glucowatch as and remember those hickey burns on my wrists. I quit using it after 2 weeks because I just could not put up with it

I’m on the 670g as well but use it in manual mode with the dexcom g6. Congrats on your great A1c and getting automode to work for you! I tried for 7 months and didn’t get nearly as good results as you. Just goes to show how everyone’s management is different.

So glad you’re here! I hope you get the chance to poke around some of our threads and I’m looking forward to your contributions :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hey so I’m on the Medtronic hybrid 670g on auto mode which really does all the calculations for you (no need to think or calculate dual or extended or sensitive factors unless your in Manuel mode) to stay as close to 120 at all times (unless your exercising then it’s set to stay close to 150) but for the most part I’m usually 70-120

1 Like

Wow. I’ve never seen anyone with a 670g post that. With a target of 120, I expected you’d spend some time above that level and some time below that level.

I’ll have to look at what the studies report for averages and standard deviations. If people are actually in 70-120 range most of the time, then I clearly don’t understand how this pump works.

The best advice as far as auto mode goes is to allow the pump to do what it’s made to do which is calculate fuel extended sensitivity suspend everything really that as an old pumper I would do on my own and yes I’m not going to lie when I first got it I hated it the fact that my endo said I couldn’t overbolus I couldn’t just lie and tell it something else I had to be honest w carb counting even if it was pizza or it was salad just enter carb count (and I still deduct for fiber) so perfecting your insult to carb ratios (for instance I have 3 different i:c ratios for different times of the day) and the only other best advice would be make sure u don’t over calibrate try your best (to properly calibrate) to only calibrate first thing in the morning and before bed (or at least def not if your trending wait until your BG is stable) and I know sometimes it asks u for bg go ahead enter BG but don’t calibrate unless your in red for calibration because it just wants to make sure your CGM is accurate… and I wouldn’t look at the screen too many times lol you’ll go crazy just let it learn do it’s thing and only look at it before u eat! Oh and I always try to bolus 15-20 mins before actually eating because the pump know hey I told u I’m going to eat so I’m letting the insulin get into your system and then I eat so it catches and I don’t get those roller coaster highs
hope that helps

2 Likes

Really glad that the tech is working for you. Not trying to bash the 670 at all. Being a Gen 1 system, it just doesn’t work for everyone. Hopefully as the companies iterate again, the systems will be able to help more people manage their disease easily.

Your A1c is fantastic and the lowest I have heard on the 670, so that is cool as well.

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong when it works it works but when it doesn’t for instance I recently just a few days ago got the pump error 53 so I’m waiting for a replacement and I hate that it will randomly ask for BG especially @2am not fun but for the most part I’ve learned to work w it and it took some getting used to! Also hate that it doesn’t come in 1.8 reservoirs but it is what it is and I’m making it work

3 Likes

Hi @KimZ! Welcome. :slightly_smiling_face:

I first want to say congratulations on your success with Auto Mode. For whatever reasons, some people just nail it. I think it’s great news for the rest of us. The chances of them catching the majority of us on a first generation device like this was pretty slim. I think their hearing our feedback though, from those of us who were unable to see such good results, and I think they’re trying to adjust and accommodate. Their updated transmitter was a pretty solid example. As far as just letting it do its thing, I’ve gotta say I did that 100%, and it never did learn that I need as much insulin as I do. In my case, however, I struggle with the Guardian performance, and since that’s what’s providing all of the information, the algorithm is never working with a value that truly reflects my current blood sugar. It’s this that makes me think I might have more luck with Control-IQ on the t:slim since the G6 is much stronger for me.

Anyway, it’s always cool to hear from someone on the other side. :grin: I hope you keep getting good results, and I’m glad you’re here!

1 Like

Hmm I also do think it’s because my endo it’s insulin dept and also on the 670 lol so she knows exactly what i go through on a daily and training was also very specific as in don’t calibrate more then every 12 hrs and wait until you get at least one arrow trending down on BG so u can eat depending on your BG and making sure I wait at least 15 mins prior to eating and after bolus and also the pump allows you a range 60-140 to range 120 and my endo told me since it a computer just put 80-80 which is where I feel most comfortable so my target on my pump tried to always keep me there but the pump is made to keep u constantly 120 but for those of us that feel well on a tighter control as long as dr is ok then you should be good! Another thing for me at night I tend to drop so the threshold suspend is great for me so my pump will majority of the time not give me any insulin at night or even during the day if I’m trending low so I can go for hours sometimes w no basal or IOB and then once the sensor reads I’m trending up it starts back up so I don’t go high
But yes prior to being on 670 I was on Omni w dex and the dex was great to and u maybe right dex is more on top w BG but guardians right behind maybe a little slower but it catches not sure if u understand what I’m trying to say…?!
But trust me there’s so much I wish was different for the 670 such as the layout confusing constantly asking to confirm and are u sure type deal; way too maybe unnecessary options that most of us I’m sure do not use; I hate that it doesn’t come in a smaller size like 1.8 vs 3.0 so it’s much bulkier; I hate the fact that u canta bolus on your meter for those moments u don’t want to step away and go bolus because it’s in an awkward spot especially for us girls; really hate when your tubing get stuck or pulled out on accident not fun but I wasn’t the best on Omni since I always forgot my PDM so we just have to be greatful and work w what we have really i would hate to go back to carrying around syringes and a cooler w vial of insulin and having to eat and wake up at certain times because it was insulin peek time so I’m greatful for how much we’ve advanced! And we can only get better!

3 Likes

Would love to understand what you’re saying here. I’m not sure what you’re doing with the 80-80… You mean your high and low target numbers?

Are you in Auto Mode? I think you are because of some of the things you’ve mentioned, but you also mention calibrating only twice a day (which is possible but not guaranteed in auto) and threshold suspend which is a Manual Mode feature. You get Micro Boluses, right? Not trying to harass you, and I hope it doesn’t come across that way. I’ve spent a lot of time trying to understand Auto and talking with other users, and I am particularly interested in what makes it work for some.

This I definitely understand. For me, it’s not just a little behind. It’s rage quit behind. I made a sport of taking pictures of my Guardian lag compared to both the Dexcom and Libre. Even with the updated transmitter, which has demonstrated some impressive changes, it really is slow. Can’t have a pump determining my insulin delivery based on a sensor this slow. I do have some friends who see very little lag with it though, so that’s very much a personal result.

Agreed. :hugs:

So yes I’m auto mode and yes shouldn’t have said threshold suspend because auto does that but figure easier to understand as threshold suspend and yes the pump trainer told me to put range that dr wants me in BG 70-120 but my endo who’s on the pump says it’s a computer it’s best to just give it one target so I started 120-120 and slowly kept lowering until now I’m 80-80 and that’s probably why I’m lower then most who’s drs put a more broad range but i also think small habits like bolus and waiting to eat or waiting for your body to absorb insulin and waiting for CGM to read certain trends prior to eating is something everyone needs to figure out w your own body cause everyone’s different so what may work for me may or may not work for you everyone’s body reacts differently

2 Likes

That’s an interesting theory, and your doctor believes your target range affects what Auto Mode can deliver?

In reality, it’s all a mystery since very little has been revealed, but Medtronic maintains that the target range has nothing to do with it. I wonder if there’s any truth in it.

Anyway, again, congratulations. It sounds like whatever you’re doing is working for you, and that’s great. Hopefully you’ll continue having such great success!

1 Like

Hi -

I’m Eric and I’m a Type 1 diabetes patient living in Belmont, Massachusetts.

I was diagnosed with diabetes almost exactly 10 years ago, in August 2009, just in time for my 50th birthday. The initial diagnosis of T2 diabetes (with Metformin) was revised when I moved to getting treated at the Joslin Clinic. My doctor there took one look at me and said - no - you’re Type 1. So no more metformin.

Since then I’ve gone through a lot of insulin!

Currently I am using a Tandem pump and a Dexcom G6 CGM, and Novolog.

I participate in another Forum, on news and such, which uses this same platform for forums; it’s nice to be on a new forum but not have to relearn the software!

8 Likes

Welcome, Eric. I’m sure you will find lots of helpful information here. Glad your diagnosis was straightened out, too! :sunflower:

Yah - I suspect that many diabetics are misdiagnosed, and thus over medicated. Just sayin’

Yes, people do get mis-diagnosed, but there are a good number of Type 1’s who also use Metformin, so nothing ventured nothing gained.

Welcome to our little corner of the interwebs. Looking forward to your continued contributions. Now that school is getting back in session, I expect a bit more activity from our members.

Hey Guys :slight_smile:

I am 28 years old and I get my diagnosis at the beginning of this year.
I´m wearing a Dexcom G6 and use xDrip+ with a Samsung Galaxy A70 @Android 9 with a Samsung Galaxy Watch 46mm. I´m using 2 Pendiqs 2.0. 1 with NovoRapid for bolus insulin and 1 with Lantus for basal insulin so if you have any questions feel free to ask me :slight_smile:

I wish to communicate with other people and disquss questions and situations. I´m very interested in any case of our desaese. I´m very open minded land I think we gonna have much interesting conversations.

If you have any type of questions let me know. I can give support for xDrip and I can help you to set up your Dexcom G6 and Libre 2 Sensors with xDrip, so if you don´t know how to then you can text me, too.

I hope its not a problem to give support for this, this is totally free and the only payment is the “Thank you” at the end.

If you want to know something about me or if you have other questions, then you´re welcome to text me :slight_smile:

Can somebody of you tell me, howe long I have to wait to be able to share links and images?
I want to give you some of my own written documentations.

Have a nice weekend and a nice day :slight_smile:

Greetz FrederikDiabetics

6 Likes

Welcome @FrederikDiabetics, Thank you for joining our site. Your offer of help is much appreciated. We always like more people who can help support XDrip+ questions! As far as your tech, I must tell you we are jealous, I tried to obtain some of the Pendiq pens, but they don’t ship them to the US.

The ability to upload pictures and create PM’s should happen within a week or so (There is an automatic promotion system) if you are a regular contributor. If you contribute more infrequently, then it will take a bit longer. If you have written documentation you want to share before then, I could give you an upload link and post it for you.

Sorry about the diagnosis, it is a big life change, my son was diagnosed at 12, and it was hard for him for awhile. Don’t forget to take care of your mental health, this disease is a marathon. We have many members here that have had Type 1 for decades, so there is much help for you as well as the help you can offer our other members. It is what makes our site so great.

4 Likes