Welcome, introduce yourself here!

I was thinking Mexico…I used to get my inhalers down there back in the day and importing is as easy as walking across a bridge. Supposedly the DANA pump guys were applying for FDA approval last year so maybe we’ll be able to get one soon without having to plan a vacation to get one…

1 Like

I’m certainly very happy with mine, with a few exceptions. I’m not a fan of being stuck with proprietary cannula sets, after being tied to Paradigm sets for decades, but they are OK. I would prefer longer tubing than is currently available.
The batteries are a bit silly, particularly in Australia where they come with the reservoirs (free), but can be years old and pretty ordinary to try and get started because of the passivation layer. That layer gets stronger over time, and I’ve just been posted a little device to try and help with that.
The pump itself is very lightweight and very fast to connect to my AAPS phone, far faster than the Dana R, and very much faster than the other AAPS pump, the Accuchek Combo. I’ve helped other Loopers set up both the Dana R and the Combo, and the RS wins by a mile in terms of connectivity.
The R has been available in Aus for a while now, with the RS being listed on the approved prosthetic devices document as of Sept/October 2018.
So far I’m very happy with my tiny green pump, and ecstatic about using AAPS. My backup is a Medtronic 754, Riley Link and Loop app, but I most certainly prefer the AAPS setup.

At least once you had it, you could get the consumables in the US… Maybe. They are the same as the IIS which is still floating around I believe😊.

i think it’s not approved where they are though…or let me check.

I saw a post a while back about a guy (I think in Australia) that had found an alternative battery for the DANA pumps, largely for the reasons that you outline…I’m sure you’ve probably seen this already, but here’s the link: Batteries for Dana Pump

1 Like

Yep, David and I talk reasonably often.
I had a minor incident with that particular battery. I skinned it, and then replaced a metal (not plastic) cap on the terminal end, because it didn’t look quite right. Turns out it wasn’t right! It melted a plastic sewing machine cover and started smoking…
I carried it outside and let it destroy itself on some cement, well away from anything flammable. Then I doused it thoroughly with the garden hose.
Turns out there are two sorts of batteries with the same branding and packaging… Green plastic top - probably ok in an emergency. Metal top, def not ok! I shared pics with David (Bionic Wookiee).

1 Like

Thanks again for the add! I am a T1, diagnosed on April 12, 1982. Currently 51, so that puts me at the 37 year mark next Friday…What a long, strange trip its been…Currently living in central NJ with my wife and 2 kids…My son, 18, is off to college this year and my daughter is going to be a junior. My wife is an RN, so I can honestly say she has saved my life more times than my auto shut off…LOL! All kidding aside, she is my rock who cares for me and my family and makes sure that we all follow the straight and narrow. We also have a Pitt mix and she is the sweetest dog ever. Using the Medtronic 670 in MM…Probably going to switch at some point soon. Thanks again for the add!! Rick

8 Likes

My son is heading to college this fall as well. My diabetic is still two years away. What college is your kiddo headed to? Also, what hobbies are you into?

We had a short hobby mention (Scuba Diving) turn into a really cool thread recently.

2 Likes

Well…he is down to Temple honors program or Muhlenberg honors program…He hasn’t made up his mind yet. Biology / Pre med major and Italian studies minor. Maybe he will come up with the cure…Can only wish. As you can probably tell from the avatar, I love to fish and go boating. Build and play guitar and bass and bowl with my daughter.

1 Like

How have you fingers fared with the guitar playing and all the pokes. My son quit playing after he got diabetes, I think mostly because the fingers hurt quite a bit. May have to prod him a bit. My son is headed to Purdue to study engineering, so should be interesting.

6 Likes

I only use the pinky and ring on my right hand for pricking… Never touches the strings or pick…Have major calluses on those 2 fingers, but it spares blood streaks all over the neck…One of Tony’s friends is going to Uconn for environmental Engineering. It’s a popular major in my district.

2 Likes

You didn’t ask me but… I play guitar and always poke my left hand. Playing and poking helps develop the callusses on my left hand which help me hold the strings down better.

Of course, I have to max out the lancing device depth setting to get blood out :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Always happy to have more opinions.

1 Like

Hello guys, glad to be here.

I’ve been a diabetic for 25 years, since 1994.
I’ve been through all the shabang associated with diabetes, from using the very first type of insulin in the world and boiling needles to resterilise them ( because there were not available in my country ) to insulin pumps and CGM sensors.

8 Likes

Hi, @bulgariuv. Welcome! :hugs:

Welcome, glad you found our site!

Welcom @bulgariuv, glad to have you onboard. You certainly have been through all the steps if you started with boiling needles. Which CGM are you using, and how do you like it?

Yeeeeah, I been through a little bit.
I remember the first not so refined insulin ( Actrapid & Monotard ) extracted directly from a pig’s pancreas.
Every time I took a shot with that creepy stuff a quarter of my body surrounding the shot area would become red from the allergic reaction.
Often when I took a shot in one of my butt cheeks I would’ve laughed so hard because I said I look like a damn baboon afterwards…fun times.

Also the BG check was a complete nonsense.The only option to know it was to take blood from the vein and wait until the second day or so to get the result…LOL

As a CGM I use now libre + miaomiao + xdrip.
I can only use this possibility because sensors are not covered by health insurance in my country so this option is kind of affordable to me compared with dexcom.
Even with this I still can’t always afford to buy 2 sensors per month some times but I manage.

5 Likes

My son was only diagnosed a few years ago, so I can’t imagine pig insulin that you were having an allergic reaction to. Yikes.

I understand on the cost front. I am fortunate to have good insurance for my son, so we are using the Dexcom G6 and it is working really well for us.

2 Likes

Glad your son had the chance to be in this a bit more evolved medical world regarding diabetes.

I am also happy with my system but I never ever forget that the BG from the artheries ( the actual real BG ) is different from what we get with the meters from our fingers.And what sensors can read is different from the blood in the fingers.
At this point I am only taking what a sensor offers me as a very helpfull guideline and not as an undeniable truth.
Don’t get me wrong it’s a big improvement but there’s still place for better things ( hopefully sooner than later ).

2 Likes