Welcome, introduce yourself here!

They are BOTH beautiful, strong, healthy looking boys. Good genes equally divided. :grin:

2 Likes

Welcome to the site Sunny. There are so many reasons I love FUD - hope you enjoy!!

6 Likes

Welcome @Sunny! There are many parents on our site (unfortunately), my son is 15 and has had T1 for 2.5 years. It was a Christmas present when he was 13. He just got back from diabetes camp and is trying to regain control after a week of ā€œcamp-controlā€. He uses a Tandem X2 pump and a Dexcom G5 currently. We are always striving for more control, and FUD is a great place to learn and help others. Thanks for joining!

4 Likes

Welcome @Sunny, I read your profile and checked the link to the T-Rex study. Thatā€™s wonderful! Please keep us updated.

I was diagnosed at age 5, on Presidents Day. A day I still have clear memories of 50+ years later.

4 Likes

Welcome @Sunny, so glad youā€™re here. Lots of us parents here, my kiddos are 6, 4 and 1 ā€“ the 4-year-old was diagnosed 2+ years ago.
So many helpful people here at FUD ā€“ hope you can find some useful info and support here!

2 Likes

Welcome @Mike! Sugar Surfing is available for free as an e-book if you are newly diagnosed (in the past 90 days). Just go over to sugarsurfing.com and click the button for the free e-book. Another thing you may want to consider is the Children with Diabetes Friends for Life conference that takes place in Orlando every July. We have gone as a family for the past few years and I would have to say that it has been the highlight of our year. This year there will be over 700 T1D families attending and many sessions to learn including sessions by Dr. Stephen Ponder (Sugar Surfing) and Gary Sheiner (Think Like a Pancreas).

3 Likes

Hi Iā€™m Jen. Just trying to get active in the diabetes community again after not feeling too great about reddit andā€¦wellā€¦tudiabetes (just really read about that drama and ehhh made me feel uneasy. Not to hate it but it made me uneasy). Iā€™ve had type 1 for 5 years. I was 22 when I was misdiagnosed with type 2 and after a while I got properly diagnosed as a type 1. Iā€™ve been through some stuff (putting it lightly, the word I wanna use isnā€™t family friendly) and have experienced bile duct stones as a type 1 , being uninsured for half of this year , too many pharmacy fun times to talk about, good docs and bad docs etcā€¦all in 5 years lol. Iā€™m a CNA(Certified Nurse Assistant) with dreams of being a diabetes educator. For now Iā€™m a CNA with a heart for diabetes advocacy for all diabetics (not just my type 1 friends but type 2 and MODY too). I live with my really supportive fiance whoā€™s been my ear for diabetes vents for like 3 years now.

I use mdi and Iā€™m in the biosimilar club with Admelog (NO ONE POSTS ABOUT THIS, IT EXISTS!!! LOL ) and basaglar because Iā€™m on medicaid. Iā€™m prolly the resident pump hater , but thatā€™s personal and Iā€™m glad it works for other people than me. I am not technology adverse however and love the freestyle libre (would have it if medicaid covered it) and love the bayer contour next and will sound like a sales person for this meter if I talk about it :heart_eyes: .

hope that wasnā€™t too much of a ramble, I ramble a lot.

8 Likes

Welcome! Iā€™ve never heard of CNA, although have met with MAs, not related to diabetes.

CNAs are the people who usually help with the personal care (toileting, feeding, bathing,dressing, transferring) for residents in ltc (nursing homes and assisted living) and patients in hospitals and we help nurses by doing things like vital signs (in my old hospital job I even did blood sugars, though at my assisted living job the nurses do that) and a big cna duty is observing the patients/residents for the nurses like if anythingā€™s going on thatā€™s different and reporting it before it is a bigger deal. The big perception is that we wipe butts so thereā€™s that :disappointed_relieved: . Very physical job (lifting people and moving them in bed is really difficult sometimes) and itā€™s been interesting as a diabetic for that. I work nights too , so that is also an interesting thing to deal with+ diabetes because other than the 3 days I work a week I have a normal-ish schedule. I test enough to where I think I know how things are going and usually itā€™s ok (if I eat a quest cookie or something like it sometime during the night for sure on that!) this is where I wonder what itā€™d be like if I had a dexcom or libre but alas, medicaid wonā€™t let me as a rather healthy diabetic with no complications at all and a 5.8% a1c lol.

1 Like

Welcome! My husbandā€™s an RN andā€¦I donā€™t know how yā€™all do some of the things yā€™all do.

I was 25 when I was diagnosed, though thankfully diagnosed as LADA/type 1.5 before I was misdiagnosed with type 2. Ha.

I donā€™t understand insuranceā€¦mine wonā€™t cover the Dexcom for me (though it does cover some of the Libre). You would think theyā€™d be more motivated to help you keep being a healthy diabetic to avoid costs of any complications.

1 Like

I donā€™t either honestly, but someone has to deal with things. Iā€™d say itā€™s mostly heart warming but I also have to be the one deal with the gross stuff no one in the world wants to deal with (BUT I CAN TELL YOU ALL ABOUT IT! :joy: ) . Most my cna experience was in the hospital and everything I never imagined can happen there. I miss that job.

I donā€™t get it either. I mean I get it, Iā€™m pretty healthy, but Iā€™m also curious. I wonder how every activity affects things. Like I wanna get into exercising instead of just thinking my jobā€™s enough , but everyone tells me exercise requires a lot more monitoring and I already test a lot and pay out of pocket so I can use my favorite meter. Also just curious how emotions, intimate activity, job stuff, traveling, stuff like that will affect my blood sugar as an individual and I can only see some of the picture with frequent testing. I wanna see if I can run a true flat line or if my testing isnā€™t showing me a true story :disappointed_relieved: . I also just wanna try the app stuff involved as Iā€™m a huge nerd and my love in life is computer and phone stuff (and video games) .

Thanks for the details. Sounds very challenging to manage BGs with the types of physical activities involved, and likely different each day or night. Kudos to you for doing so well.

1 Like

Yep, my husband works in the hospital. He loves it and canā€™t really imagine leaving it.

Yeah, you get a much more complete picture with a CGM (or Libreā€™s FGM) than finger sticks unless youā€™re poking yourself 20x a day. Some days I was doing a ridiculous amount of sticks, particularly when learning how to use Afrezza.

1 Like

Before the cgm we were poking Liam a minimum of 48 times (twice per hours) per dayā€¦ More because the nights always shared the crap out of me as he slept peacefullyā€¦ The thoughts going through my mind caused me to poke incessantly and never sleep.

I am thankful for the CGM every day

1 Like

:anguished: Iā€™m so sorry. I can only imagineā€¦when my daughter tested @190 a couple weeks ago, there were some pretty scary thoughts in my head that night as I laid there wanting to go test her and make sure she was okā€¦and that was just a one-off number (so far), not the real deal.

1 Like

Welcome @Sensorium139, glad you found us. As I am sure you have figured out, we are a rogue offshoot from one of the sites you mentioned. We have a different feel, and hope you find our corner of the internet a happy informative place.

You are correct, I searched and yours is the third mention of Admelog, so you are very unique!

On the testing front, we also purchase many strips for the contour next on Amazon. It is about the same price as our copayā€™s and Amazon is easier to deal with than insurance. You may want to give a look at an even cheaper meter for your forays into exercise, you could still use your preferred meter for meals, dosing and such and perhaps lower your costs while still getting valuable information.

If someone in your family wants to help, you could glean a tremendous amount of info from just one or two months of a libre or a Dexcom. While we love the continued use of it and get comfort from the alarms we have set, we learned the most the first few months we had it.

1 Like

It made me feel uneasy too. I am definitely the resident pump hater, but Iā€™d be happy to have your assistance;)

2 Likes

I have four kids too. The youngest one drew the short straw in the genetic lottery as he has both T1 and celiac. I would love to take all the blame but I think my wifeā€™s great-oma had T1 too so I may not be the only donor.

Since no one on my wifeā€™s, or my, side of the family has ever had T1 that weā€™re awareā€¦ itā€™s not related to genetics (at least whoā€™s side of the family it came from), with Liam. Maybe there is some gene or something that makes him more predisposed to it, that was possibly handed down? Since scientists still donā€™t fully know, Iā€™ll be looking forward to the day they figure it out for sure.

I like to bury my head in the sand on this one butā€¦ there is a higher probability of getting T1 if your father has it or there are other autoimmune disorders in the family. But it is not a 100% probability.

If an immediate relative (parent, brother, sister, son or daughter) has type 1 diabetes, oneā€™s risk of developing type 1 diabetes is 10 to 20 times the risk of the general population; your risk can go from 1 in 100 to roughly 1 in 10 or possibly higher, depending on which family member has the diabetes and when they developed it.

But as you say, it is not entirely a genetic thing. For me, none of my parents, grandparents, or great-grandparents have T1. My dad had a cousin who had LADA/T1 but that is about it for family ties to T1.

So I was a 1 on 100 :slight_smile:

I do not like to get caught up worrying about this sort of stuff. I file it under - stuff happens in life and you need to deal with it.

3 Likes