Welcome, introduce yourself here!

They kind of crept up on me. For a long time I could feel it, I’d get a weakness in my upper arms, a flutter in my chest and be too warm (I’m always cold). If I was sleeping I’d find myself out of bed and already on the way to the kitchen to grab something (I’m not a fast awake kind of person). I wasn’t getting any of that. I just suddenly wasn’t “there.” It happened several times in the presence of others (work, my parents, the horse farm) so I had a lot of input for my behavior beforehand, but…you know you just don’t notice that stuff yourself when you have no other indications that it’s about to happen. I know that I’d kind of feel like I wasn’t quite right, but by then I was low enough not to be able to figure out what was bothering me. I was so frustrated and scared. I figured at some point I just wouldn’t wake up.

4 Likes

Really glad you found us, the background and help you can provide others, both in your story but also the knowledge you have accumulated over the last 17 years is awesome. My son was diagnosed a little more than two years ago and the pace of learning has been amazing. Having access to others with experience like yours is invaluable. Thanks for joining.

4 Likes

Hi @PerfectHorse! Welcome to FUD. Sounds like you have had a very rough time with lows. I also got a Dexcom because of lows like you described…some of the scariest times in my life! I hope your lows if any, are not nearly as severe now as you have just described. Does anyone follow you on your Dexcom just in case?

4 Likes

Thanks for that Chris. With no local support groups anymore it’s hard to find people to talk to. But I have had the occasional person ask me about my transmitter (because I wear it on my upper arm or thigh). I use patches to keep them secure and people have asked where to get the patches. I like being able to help.

7 Likes

Which patches do you use? We use Grifgrips. Mostly the ovals, but once in a while a camouflage koala spices things up.

Chris

1 Like

I use Rockadex (www.rockadexusa.com) black with the horseshoes. They have a couple that are “stickier” and this design is perfect and is one of those. I also have some GifGrips that are kitties. I started out using the Lexcam clear patches (first thing I found when looking), but when removing them they have removed chunks of my skin so no more.

3 Likes

@PerfectHorse, so glad to read your intro, and so glad you found us!

Spooky and scary to read your story, I can only imagine. It always gets me worried when my son does not treat an upcoming low preventively right away because I am afraid of that too.

I had heard that this condition may be reversed in time, if you are able to consistently stay away from lows. It is really great to read that this is true for you!

How long did it take you on the Dexcom before you started seeing some awareness again?

That is truly amazing, and a testimony to the power of a CGM! But I have no doubt that the CGM was only an enabler, and that the improvement really came from your actions.

I loved reading your intro, thank you!

6 Likes

I started with my Dexcom January 13, 2017, and my A1c was 6.3 by September. I think it was around then that I started noticing that I was getting low symptoms that I was noticing again. They still are not as obvious as I’d like them to be, but I’m also more self aware knowing that the problem is there. But they are definitely better (if having a low can be described that way) than they were, and for that I’m grateful.

7 Likes

No one following. I’ve thought about sharing with my Mom as she also has an iPhone, but that won’t do anything but keep her awake at night. It’s a good idea in theory, but having the people in my life worry every time it alarms at 80 just seems like a can of worms that I don’t want to open…

4 Likes

I believe that! Welcome @PerfectHorse !
Your pre Dexcom days sound pretty much like mine.( actually, yours is worse, but along the same lines). No matter how much a Dexcom costs, it’s less expensive than two ambulance trips to the hospital per year

4 Likes

@PerfectHorse, as a note, followers don’t have to have an iPhone: they can use any Android phone too. The Follower app is pretty universal.

3 Likes

Also note, if you know them well enough, the followers can set their own alarms. i.e. at times I only have an urgent low alarm on my son, so I don’t get alarms if he is high or just regular low.

Oh Wow! I remember reading about the Glucowatch and wanting one so badly!! I think I’m glad now that it was out of reach financially.

I don’t know of any Illinois high risk pool but will investigate. High risk pools = high costs. My wife and I tried to get in on a commercial with one of her clients. They offered but the premium was $1900 a month.

“Been here” a while but never introduced myself, so here it is:
I’m 55 years old, diagnosed with “diabetes” in my 50th birthday, after going to the doctor to treat an infection (that turned out likely unrelated to diabetes). I was originally diagnosed as T2, but after my internal insulin production (as measured by multiple c-peptide tests) dropped at a rate more quickly than expected for T2, my endo changed my Dx to Type 1. (I don’t know if he was right, but it certainly helped me with insurance companies!).
In general, my diabetes has been relatively easy to manage by the standards of most. I had no symptoms or complications at diagnosis, and continue as such; however, I tend to be hyper-sensitive to highs: highs over 145 give me headaches, over 180 make me sleepy. I’m partially hypo-unaware - I cannot tell that I’m low if my BG is reasonably stable - only when it’s dropping or rising quickly can I tell that I’m low.
At diagnosis (Dx) I as asymptomatic, at a healthy weight and exercised every day.
My A1c was 11.8. At that start, I tried most of the Type 2 meds. Though they had some effect, I experienced serious side-effects from each of the, forcing me to stop. I am currently on Apidra thru an (Animus) insulin pump, (Dexcom) CGM. I take no other meds. though my endo would like me on an anti-cholestrol med - because “I’m diabetic.”

9 Likes

Welcome! I have read many of your posts on the other diabetes site I read. Glad you took the time to introduce yourself.

1 Like

19 posts were split to a new topic: Statins and blood pressure drugs: yes or no?

Welcome @Thasgolas! Love the new name!

1 Like

Sorta new = “Thas” has always actually been a shortened version of this name :smile:

2 Likes

Those kinds of muscle side effects are why I personally won’t take statins, as someone with chronic myalgia already and cholesterol levels that would never require them if I weren’t diabetic.

I haven’t noticed much of an effect of blood sugar control on LDL or HDL levels, even when I went from an A1c in the 8-9 range to the 6s. What I did see was a dramatic decrease in triglycerides, which was my only value that was significantly elevated before, and is now well in the acceptable range.

3 Likes