Statins and blood pressure drugs: yes or no?

I am a guy with “family risk factors” - but not of the CVD type. Both my parents experienced multiple adverse side-effects from taking statins. In my mother’s case, she continued to take the statin, but the side-effects seriously impacted her quality of life, until her passing. My father experienced so much muscle and joint pain when taking a statin that he, a man who was used to walking for miles and climbing mountains of stairs, couldn’t walk 2 blocks. He stopped taking the statins on his own over twenty years ago. (And… at his current age, no one would tell him he’s doing anything wrong :wink:)

Though my mother’s death last year at 86 from a heart attack, it was most likely not as a result of her cholesterol (which was well-managed), or even her diabetes.

As for me, some DNA testing results indicate that I’m at higher risk than the general community to adverse side effects from certain statins, but that I’m also likely to respond more strongly than average to small doses.

At my last endo appointment (last week), my endo said he’s “tired of the conversation” about mt cholesterol :slight_smile:, so he prescribed a 10mg “baby dose” of prevastatin and, though it say daily, asked me to at least FILL is and to try to take it once a week. Still, he knows my reservations against statins, so his real goal is to try and convince my insurance company to cover a PCSK9 inhibitor. He gave me a month’s worth of Praluent. So far… I tried taking the prevastatin once (yesterday) and have seen what seem like mild side effects even from one dose. Last night I took one of the Praluent injections – a MAJOR feat for me, which anyone familiar with my fear of needles would know! I’m still not convinced I need any of this, though, but I guess, if nothing else, I’ll see next month what the outcome is. I don’t know yet if I’ll take any other doses of prevastatin, though.

2 Likes