Welcome, introduce yourself here!

Why is my son on lantus? Because the doctor put him on Lantus. Is there something I should know?

Hi Pates! I donā€™t think weā€™ve interacted before. Often doctors will put patients on the medicines with which theyā€™re most familiar.

I canā€™t say why your sonā€™s doctor chose Lantus. However, I will say that I take Tresiba and see a significant benefit because it lasts longer. Lantus tends to last 18-20 hours for most people. For this reason, many people take it twice per day so that they can offset the 4-6 hours one dose wonā€™t cover.

Tresiba lasts much, much longer and overlaps several days insulin together. Despite this, I find taking it twice daily seems to be best for me (though once daily worked well at first). I think Tresiba is a better insulin because of the overlapping mechanism. If you were to forget a dose, your son wouldnā€™t go into DKA quickly because heā€™d still have yesterdayā€™s dose on board. Even if his blood sugar went high, heā€™d still have SOME insulin. In addition, I think the overlapping mechanism enables a smoother line without the gaps that Lantus can bring.

Itā€™s difficult to say if Tresiba would be better or worse for your son, but it might be worth asking why the doctor chose Lantus over Tresiba. From my perception, Tresiba is a superior insulin.

4 Likes

For me itā€™s whatā€™s on the insurance formulary. In May I will ask for tresiba and afrezza (to supplement t humalog for more occasional use) to tryā€¦ Lantus gets me 20 hours and dinner humalog covers the gap. It does work, but I think I can do better.

2 Likes

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum.

3 Likes

Hi Mary welcome aboard

2 Likes

Hi Mary! Welcome to the forum!

1 Like

Welcome! Glad you found our forum. I see that you have a relative with diabetes, type 1 or type 2? A little background and we can direct you to some good stuff.

If you have been reading for a while, what have you found interesting?

3 Likes

Welcome!

1 Like

Hi @marylove, welcome!

1 Like

Hello all.

Iā€™m Alex. I live in Chicago (originally from central IL) and have been living with Type 1 since being diagnosed just a few months shy of my 14th birthday in 1994.

Somewhat interestingly, by younger brother (by 3 years) was diagnosed with Type 1 at almost the exact age that I was diagnosed. Our older brother (3 years older than me) dodged the Type 1 bullet.

Iā€™ve been on a pump since 2003 (started with Animas, then moved to Medtronic in 2009) and just recently got a new 670G. Found this site because I was looking for more ā€œuser levelā€ knowledge about Auto Mode and how to get the most out of it.

I have taken a renewed interest lately in optimizing my disease management, and last year started wearing my CGM nearly 100% of the time (vs. the every-so-often approach I had previously taken) and also started taking Victoza, which has helped me lose about 40 lbs and reduce my A1c by a full point so far. Iā€™m hoping to see even more improvement with this new pump technology.

Iā€™m a Pharmacist by profession who specializes in Informatics/Information Technology (I currently manage a medical oncology application for a large regional healthcare organization) and am married to an Emergency Medicine/Toxicology Pharmacist.

Looking forward to learning more from you fine folks.

9 Likes

@ay0hkay, welcome, it is great to see you join us!

My son was diagnosed 2 years ago. We have a lot of long-time T1Ds on the forum. Many of us are scientists, engineers, or in the medical sciences. We are all experimenters and optimizers on the forum! So I think you will find lots of kindred spirits.

Congrats on lowering your A1c a full point, this is outstanding! I look forward to reading your posts!

1 Like

Hi, Iā€™m Blue, also known as Sarah. Iā€™m a graduate student in Texas, working on finishing the last three semesters of clinical practicum/internships for a professional counseling degree.

Iā€™m 27, just diagnosed a little under a year ago. First, my GP thought it was Type 2, but three months of oral meds did nothing to improve my numbers at all. I was sick all the time, multiple infections, constant migraines, barely able to keep food down, but constantly ā€œIā€™m dying for water NOWā€ thirsty. My GP was a bit bowled over when I came back to my three month followup having lost 40lbs, with a fasting glucose of 600+ and an A1C that was three points higher than the one precipitating diagnosis. He got me back in pretty immediately and explained the concept of LADA and put me on MDI therapy. I also asked for a (somewhat perfunctory) antibody test after quickly scanning Google for LADA information while waiting for a blood draw that day. They ordered it, it came back abnormally high. That was the end of that-- definitely LADA.

Things over the next few months mostly stabilized, and I was on 30 units NPH twice a day and 5 units Humalog each meal. Then, it was found that I had a rapidly growing tumor in my lower back that was the size of a grapefruit and threatening to wrap completely around my spine. Between surgery for that and a Rheumatoid Arthritis flare-up, I was on steroids for a while and lost all control over my BG seemingly overnight. I didnā€™t know what was happening, so I turned to reading as many forums as I could. I took very active control over my diabetes and delved deep into figuring out what in the world was going on.

I was able to figure out how much a basal increase would lower my glucose based on my bodyā€™s specific needs and then began dosing based off that, eventually. It seems to have worked well. Iā€™ve generally got better control of my numbers and my last A1C was a 8.1, as opposed to the disastrous 15.3 of six months ago.

I like the concept of being Unlimited. I like the attitude that Iā€™ve seen here from all of the many posts Iā€™ve read in the last month or two. So why not join?

11 Likes

Hi Blue, welcome to FUD!

1 Like

Welcome, @Blue! I am sorry about your diagnosis, and even more about all the problems you had since :frowning:

I was quite surprised by your persistent insulin insensitivity following steroids treatment: that is a shocker. But it is great to read that you went down so hard on A1c, wonderful!

2 Likes

Hi @Blue and @ay0hkay - welcome to FUD!

2 Likes

Hey Alex, welcome to the forum. Lowering your A1c is great. There have been some good discussions on the 670G on the site. I have attached one of them. The consensus from some of our super users is that if you have an A1c in the 5ā€™s and 6ā€™s, then the 670G doesnā€™t help that much. But if your A1c is above that, then it helps a lot. Donā€™t be surprised if it helps you for while, then your skills get better than the pump.

2 Likes

Hi Blue, Welcome. Look forward to your contributions to our little corner of the internet.

1 Like

Welcome @ay0hkay and @Blue!

1 Like

Thank you so much everyone.

1 Like

@marylove, so glad to see you join us, I look forward to reading your posts!

Feel free to talk more about yourself if you wish!