Welcome, introduce yourself here!

It’s funny - the tubing never bothered me at all, but now that it’s not there anymore I feel all of the sudden that I am not wearing a pump. I am enjoying not having anything clipped to my pocket. My daughter is on MDI and is very happy doing that.

It was probably my mom who did not enjoy the glass syringes (especially having to boil them all the time). Plus the needle was gigantic - nothing like those tiny 4mm pen needles that we have today.

3 Likes

I believe @lh378 visited Montreal recently and really liked it too

1 Like

Welcome Lisa! Yes Montreal and Quebec are wonderful! The food is terrific and everyone is quite friendly. @Michel, wishing you and your family a great vacation :-). There are many great places to eat. Two of our favorites for casual, convenient and delicious offerings were: L’Express http://restaurantlexpress.com/en/ and Duc de Lorraine http://www.ducdelorraine.ca/ They open early and stay open pretty late. My children and I loved the food AND the desserts.

3 Likes

I almost got to go last summer to a medical conference with the wife but unfortunately it didn’t work out. It’s on the list!

1 Like

Welcome!

I agree! Don’t be afraid! It’s pretty great so far honestly. :slight_smile: It’s failure in the “getting the hang of things” failure. Not bad. And lots of helpful feedback here.

5 Likes

Hi, everyone. I’m Mark and am a T1 LADA diagnosed in 1995. I’m using a Minimed 530G pump, Dexcom CGM and recently started using Affrezza when I haven’t timed boluses properly or need to quickly get down from a high. I’ve been using the G4/G5 for about four and a half years and love it. I’m not thrilled about the touchscreen version and am going to stick with the push button version until it dies. (If anyone is willing to sell an unused or slightly used G5, I’d be interested in possibly buying it).

I’m located in San Diego and have a great endocrinologist in the UCSD Medical Group. I use road bicycling to help control my diabetes. I grew up and went to college in WI and grad school in MI so I can relate to the weather that midwesterners and easterners are currently going through. It’s nice to be in San Diego when I see weather reports.

I’m a neuroscience researcher who’s worked in both small and big pharma. I was laid off at the end of August and am now trying to find a job as a Medical Science Liaison (MSL) in the neuroscience or diabetes area. If anyone is (or knows) an MSL, I’d love to hear from you. I’m grateful to be part of this group and am looking forward to reading and making posts.

12 Likes

Welcome Mark! Thanks so much to joining, and with your background you should fit in like a pea in a pod.

On the WI front, I am sorry to tell you that I am a long suffering Vikings fan who hails originally from St. Paul, but currently resides in Portland, so not quite as amazing weather as you, but way way better than what is hitting the Midwest right now. Sorry about the football year if you are a Packers fan. Additionally, I worked in medical device companies for 15+ years and if you are interested, I will PM you my contact information and we can talk about MSL’s, what I know, and perhaps connect you with one depending on your interests.

2 Likes

Hi Chris-

I’d appreciate talking to you about MSLs in the medical device industry. I’ve applied for a couple customer service positions at Dexcom and was rejected because I think that they likely consider me over-qualified. I haven’t run across any Dexcom positions for MSLs so I’m not sure if they have their field sales reps serve that role. I’d appreciate it if you could PM me your contact info. Thanks.

Mark

2 Likes

Welcome, @mwashburn! You will find many of us with a similar background. I am looking forward to reading more of your posts!

Hello! I’m trying to get the hang of this site. I typed some sort of introduction when I first signed up but I’m not sure where it is now.

Anyway, my name is Spicey (for reals). I am an art teacher in a k-8 public school. I am 40, married to a type 1 husband and have two kids, daughter is 20, non diabetic, and my son is 9, also type 1. My daughter is in college so it’s us three type 1’s at home. You would think we are experts but I feel I struggle emotionally the most. I get very frustrated with my own blood sugars and my son’s fluctuations. My husband seems to take it more in stride and stays more positive. I cook ALOT and have virtually cut out all processed foods and white sugar in my own diet and greatly in my family’s diet. My A1C has not been great in the past, despite my daily workouts, staying active, and eating healthy. Frankly, I just get scared about the future and my health, but all we can do is just press on right and keep trying. Thank you for accepting me into this group. I look forward to anything I can learn or help teach about life with type 1.

9 Likes

@Pates, welcome! Spicey is such a great name!

That was actually a great intro! If anyone clicks on your name, they will see this intro statement. Very useful from someone who has not interacted with you and reads a post in a thread from you.

I can understand that so well! I have a son who is 13 and T1 too. There are many parents of T1s here, quite a few of which are pre-teens. Being able to share with each other our frustrations, and our emotional troubles, makes a big difference imho.

So do we: great, so much better and healthier than processed foods :slight_smile:

We have improved SO MUCH thanks to this forum. There is so much knowledge around here-- incredibly useful, and uplifting too.

This is the right place! I am eager to see your next posts. This forum has made such a difference to us I can’t wait to see what you think and how you feel in 3 or 6 months from now.

Are you using a CGM? A pump? How about your son?

4 Likes

it’s us three type 1’s at home. You would think we are experts but I feel I struggle emotionally the most. I get very frustrated with my own blood sugars and my son’s fluctuations.

Hi, @Pates. You’ll find that there are quite a few non-judgmental and helpful folks here who will be happy to talk about it. And there are some real experts who like to pass along their tips and learnings.

5 Likes

Welcome! Really glad you decided to join us. Wow! Three T1’s in one home, around here that only happens when we have a party, so in my rubric you are having a party everyday.

On the serious front, I hope you find stuff here that helps you, but I am looking forward to what you have to teach us. What kind of stuff do you like to cook?

3 Likes

I can’t even begin to imagine how frustrating it must be to be frustrated with your own roller coasters while trying to manage a child’s roller coasters as well. Our 4 year old son, Liam, is our only T1, but his roller coasters are plenty frustrating on their own!

Welcome and it’s a pleasure to have you and your family here! There is a wealth of information here and I continue learning every day.

Looking forward to our discussions in the future!

5 Likes

Thank you Chris for the warm welcome. I cook a lot of things but our main
meals, our ole stand-bys are spinach paneer curry and brown rice, homemade
chicken nuggets with spicy sauce dipped in greek yogurt, mostly comfort
food with all organic and from scratch ingredients. We eat very few
"ready-made" meals. We like the taste of restaurant foods, but try to
achieve them with less sugar, and artificial junk. We use honey in place of
sugar whenever and if needed.

2 Likes

Thank you for the warm welcome! My son was diagnosed at 3 1/2 so I know how
hard it is with a little one. However, our son observed us checking blood
sugar and taking shots so he literally did not bat an eye when we started
doing the same with him. We were fortunate in that respect, but I remember
how hard it was to accept that he also had type 1,

6 Likes

I take treseiba and novolog, no pump. My son is not on a pump either. He takes Lantus and novolog.

2 Likes

Welcome @Pates, I’m on tresiba and novolog, no pump, no cgm. May I ask why your son is on Lantus? Just a point of curiosity because if he were also on tresiba, 1. it would make the insulin inventory easier 2. less likelihood of confusion. For those of us on MDI, there is already the potential for mix up of basal v bolus. I have heard stories from others who have mixed up their insulin and had to correct.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @Pates! Look forward to the insights you have to share. :sun_with_face:

2 Likes

@Thasgolas did you ever introduce yourself here? Someone was just asking me if you were a member…

1 Like