Welcome, introduce yourself here!

Welcome aboard, @Pates

I agree that it would keep the inventory more simple, but I was only
recently switched to Treseiba and wanted to try it out. Yes, we have
actually had a couple scares due to insulin mix-ups or miscommunication. We
learned and have become more diligent about not getting distracted or
distracting someone else who is dosing. We are a team, my husband, our son,
and myself; clear communication and double checking is the key.
How do your blood sugars run on Treseiba and novolog?

2 Likes

Better than they do on Lantus and novolog…

1 Like

Yes, my experience with Tresiba has been very good. I have tried Lantus and levemir. Although, the confounding aspect may be that my overall understanding of diabetes management has improved vastly. Since it’s been working out very well with Tresiba and Novolog, why mess with a good thing?

1 Like

I was under the impression that Tresiba was not approved for kids, but it actually is approved for kids over 1 year old. Maybe I will get my little guy to try it out.

1 Like

Hey everyone. I am Kevin. @Sam convinced me to put down roots here. We know each other from other venues.

I am a T1, diagnosed at age 3, about 175 years ago. Yes, I honestly come from the days of beef and pork insulin, boiling needles and glass syringes, and sharpening those monsters with a pumice stone.

I am a firmware engineer, so I tend to self-manage my medical conditions a lot. I also try every new medicine and device that comes on the market for T1D’s. Part of this is because I also work as a diabetes patient advocate, and help run diabetes community groups with my lovely wife, who is a medical professional that specializes in assisting people with diabetes to self manage more efficiently. She also translates clinical studies from Russian and Ukrainian for new drugs and devices coming on the market.

I also sport RA, diabetes insipidus, and a failed pituitary gland.

I manage my diabetes with Tresiba and Afrezza, having lowered my A1C from the 8’s to the low 6’s. I was at 8.3 in March of 2016 when I started Afrezza, dropped to 6.0 in 6 months, went back to a 6.7 in October 2017 after a 3-month try of a new insulin pump, and back to a 6.4 as of last week.

To be clear - I am a para-professional only, not a doctor. But if you ask, you will get my opinion from my perspective. YMMV :wink:

15 Likes

@kmichel, I am so glad to see you join!

There are many engineers on this forum: we tend to be very fact-oriented, which I love!

I really look forward to your posts!

6 Likes

Are you sure your name isn’t Methusela? lol. Welcome! My son, Liam, was diagnosed at 2 yo and he’s just had his 4th birthday. Hope he puts roots down here someday as well!

Looking forward to learning from your many years of experience, in the future!

4 Likes

Welcome kmichel! Sounds like you and your wife are quite a pair!

I’m impressed you were able to decrease your A1c by so much so quickly! Congrats!

Looking forward to your contributions to the community. Thanks for the help you’ve given already.

3 Likes

Hey @kmichel, me too! Diagnosed in 1973. Welcome and glad to see you here!

3 Likes

Hey @kmichel Glad @Sam dragged you over here. 175 years is a long time to spend in the wilderness :blush:.

One question. Did you like the days of blind bliss when all you could do was check your pee and see what your Bg was eight hours ago and not be able to do anything about it, or do you like it better now when all the minute by minute data is at your fingertips and you can actually do something with it?

9 Likes

As they say, @docslotnick, ignorance is bliss. I never knew how unhealthy I was until data became available at my fingertips. Now I am much healthier, but more stressed trying to keep myself that way :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

@kmichel I just got a close look at your avatar. Awesome! I kinda have a special interest in teeth :wink:.

2 Likes

Glad you joined us here @kmichel.

2 Likes

I’m Alex, I live in San Francisco, CA and am originally from London. I was diagnosed with T1D 18 years ago at age 15 and have been on a pump (Animas for 6 months then Omnipod since) for the last 8 years. I’ve also been on every single iteration of Dexcom CGM since they were first available (what a game changer). I’m married with 2 kids and have no other history of diabetes in my family.

I’m glad to have found FUDiabetes as there appears to be a lot of useful information on the forum.

15 Likes

Welcome @sanfran!

2 Likes

Welcome Alex. London - San Fran, you have quite the collection of impressive cities in your resume. My living conditions have been a bit more pedestrian.

My son was diagnosed a few years ago, and likewise had no family history of diabetes on either side of the family.

Glad you have found some useful stuff, and looking forward to your contributions.

2 Likes

Welcome Alex! I’m glad you’ve found some useful information. Looking forward to your posts! There are lots of people using the Omnipod on here, so you’re in good company :slight_smile:

I also love the Dexcom CGM! It’s amazing.

1 Like

Welcome, Alex!

@TiaG here also lives in SF, and we also spent a lot of time in SF Bay, in Berkeley, until about 10 years ago.

We have two boys, 19 and 13. My younger boy is T1 and was diagnosed 2 years ago (he is a member here too). We really look forward to your posts. I am excited about your trying out the SOOIL Dana pump for Loop! We have just started ramping up for Loop as well (on a Medtronic legacy pump), although it will take us a while to get there because we are in the middle of a move too.

We are also Dexcom/Omnipod users btw.

1 Like

Hello Alex … nice to have you here!

I’m from Chicago and was diagnosed almost 3 years ago. I started our on MDI, began using a Dex CGM just over a year ago and 3 months ago I started pumping (Omnipod).

4 Likes