Welcome, introduce yourself here!

Amazing story and it really gives hope to those, like me, who obsess over every high and low. The technology of today really make Diabetes easy compared to the early days of D management. Your story is inspiring and is hope for parents of D kids like me. I can only imagine the difficulties your parents had when you were a kid. You had to have hyperglycemia so many times and were exhibiting symptoms… To be your parents and not know how to help you tears me up inside. So glad you came through all the years of hell unscathed.

5 Likes

Welcome, @Richard157! What an incredible story. And, like @ClaudnDaye, it gives me hope as I, too, obsess over every number out of my ideal range (I’m somewhat newly diagnosed - only last year).

5 Likes

This is my favorite quote in your write-up. I would guess that in addition to good genes, your mindset might be another x-factor in your positive outcome.

6 Likes

A hearty Welcome to you @Richard157!! You are truly an inspiration to me. :rose: So glad to see you here.

Lisa

4 Likes

Hello!

New here this morning. Find you guys looking for information on the new Apple Watch talking with Dexcom.

I am 48 and was diagnosed with Type 1 at age 30. I use an Omnnipod and Dexcom G5 with a series 1 Apple Watch. I try to stay active via running, cycling, and swimming. Occasionally, I try to use a kettlebell, but can’t seem to keep that one up for some reason. I’ve done several half marathons and triathlons, but I’m quite slow at them. Not all that interested in training for speed, but rather I am just happy to be off the couch.

My A1c has been stuck at 7 to 7.2 for a few years now, but my last one came in at 6.9. I’d love to be in the low 6s, but just can’t seem to get there. It is funny, my Dexcom readings are consistently 130-140 average, but the A1c always comes in higher than that average indicates. Go figure.

9 Likes

Hey, welcome here brrit! Glad to have you. We have several active people who post in the exercise category. I’d love to see what info you have to share about exercise.

2 Likes

Glad you found us, you will fit right in with a large number of users with that list of diabetes tools. Welcome!

1 Like

Welcome! I know exactly what you mean–so frustrating!

2 Likes

Welcome @brrit !

We would be thrilled to follow you on your quest to 6.0! With what you’ll find here it should be a quick trip.

3 Likes

Hello to @Richard157 and @brrit! Looking forward to hearing all about your experiences with T1D. Welcome!

1 Like

Welcome @brrit and @Richard157! So great to have you on here!

Welcome, @brrit! Glad your searches landed you here! Yes, those A1C’s are a funny thing…this last visit I had expected to see 6.3 or 6.4 with my son because that’s what the averages worked out too for me, but the blood test showed 6.8 so I’m beginning to trust “my numbers” more and more and just focus every day on doing my best and just let the numbers fall where they may (but hopefully downward trajectory!) lol.

Again, welcome!

4 Likes

@brrit, great to see you join! You will fit really well here I think – we are all working a the same thing! Many of us are experimenters, and many of us are into sports too!

Hi! I’m Kiraina.
Diagnosed at age 11, now 24. Currently pumping humalog on the Omnipod for almost shy of 2 weeks now.I also have the Dexcom G4 and have been using that for about 1 year now. I have been pumping for 5 years tomorrow and have had 3 pumps. I live in Florida and I hate it lol…I love the cold and am actually moving to Boone,NC in the new year,very excited for that change of pace! I was insurance less for about 2 years of my pump journey and only survived through the generosity of the D community. They’ve helped me through sever diabetes burnout. My a1c used to be 12…now I’m 8.0 and going down.
I enjoy reading,playing video games and binge watching shows on netflix ( recently started Greys Anatomy and I’m hooked,already self diagnosed myself with 3 other diseases lol) ,I am a debt collector and an avid Disney World connoisseur, this is my second year having an annual pass and its so worth it,literally the one good thing about Florida!
I am excited to meet and get to know everyone here!

8 Likes

That is a riot.
:smile:
Welcome.

Good luck with the move - hope it goes well. I could never handle Florida - one week there has me melting into a puddle. And that is Spring time…

2 Likes

I also binge watch Netflix. And I have diabetes. It seems we have a lot in common.

2 Likes

Welcome Kiraina! There’s lots to read here, and I think binge reading FUD could be a new category of entertainment! Well, it is at our house anyhow. :smile:

3 Likes

Hi, welcome to FUD. Glad to have you here.

Lots of omnipod people on the site, so hope to see you ask and share information!

You said you have 3 pumps, which is cool to have a lot of experience with that many.

2 Likes

Really glad you found connections that helped you out. I myself have been overwhelmed by the generosity of others in the D community. Having a teenage son who has been diagnosed for about a year and 1/2, I am always on the lookout for what gets diabetics out of burnout, since it is so common among teens and young adults. Welcome!

3 Likes

Kiraina, welcome, what a LOVELY name you have! I am so glad you joined, and really look forward to your posts.

What an extraordinary improvement, you are doing SO WELL. You should be SO proud!

You are like my son K, who is my T1D boy. He is on the forum too, and he has the same pleasures as you :slight_smile: I really hope you will share your lessons learned on diabetes burnout, as I am so aware that this is something that he will meet some time in the future, and it really worries me.

You look like you have a great sense of humor! I am afraid you will need every bit of it here :slight_smile:

Again, welcome, it is great to see you join us!

[EDIT] my son was diagnosed at the same age as you :frowning:

2 Likes