Welcome, introduce yourself here!

Welcome @aleasa24!

3 Likes

@aleasa24 Welcome Kiraina! You sound much nicer than most debt collectors!:wink: Hope 6.0 is right around the corner for you.

One of the nicest vacations my wife and I ever took was to Disneyworld and the Wilderness Lodge. The place is amazing!

2 Likes

Welcome, @aleasa24! Iā€™m the opposite - love the heat, hate the cold (I live in TX)! Youā€™ll find great support here, and good luck as you work toward lowering your A1c; sounds like youā€™re doing great!

3 Likes

I once worked on several editions of a book about cancer therapies, and swear I had symptoms of every cancer there is. At one point I was convinced I had uterine cancer and testicular cancer at the same time.

9 Likes

Hi Kiraina, welcome!

I was diagnosed at the same age as you (11). I am almost 13 now.

If you love the cold youā€™d really like where we live: we live in South East Wisconsin, in the country, and it gets really cold between November and March. In January and February, itā€™s often below zero or lower. I am pretty good at shoveling snow because we have a veeeery long driveway, and my dad wants us to do it by hand.

I am not sure if you would like that part! But the rest of winter is pretty cool here. We have lots of wild animals around here and in winter you get to see their trail really easily.

5 Likes

I am so excited to have found this forum. I am sure you will be hearing from me with questions, so I wanted to take a moment and introduce myself and say HELLO! I am a 42 year old, adult onset Type 1. I was diagnosed at the age of 40. We still do not know for sure what triggered my autoimmune disease, but tests concluded did conclude that it led to T1D. The doctors told me I would be in the honeymoon phase for anywhere from a month to several years. I purchased a G5 last year and am very thankful to have it in my life. I am still learning everyday about the management of diabetes. I look forward to reading more and getting to know you all.

7 Likes

Welcome @johnstow! Glad to see you found your way here. :slight_smile:

@johnstow Welcome! Iā€™m sure youā€™ll find plenty of great info concerning T1 LADA around here. And we anxiously look forward to your posts and your progress

@johnstow, great to see you on this thread and a big HELLO to you!

We LOVE our G5 :slight_smile:

Welcome to the forum, @johnstow , this is an amazing community!

I really look forward to your posts.

Welcome here @johnstow, you found the right place!

1 Like

Hi @johnstow ! Welcome!

I was diagnosed about the same time, around 1.5 years ago. But I am younger than you so I went through honeymoon pretty fast.

Do you have a partner? I live with my family, and I find that having other people in the house is really helpful because they notice when I am not reacting normally. Also, they hear my CGM alarms when I am sleeping too deeply.

1 Like

Welcome @johnstow! Thereā€™s a plethora of information to be found here - every day I take away at least one nugget. If you get a chance, and you want too, add your connection to diabetes into your profile so that anyone can see at a moments notice! You do this through your profile and, once you connect your connection, youā€™ll receive a badge - that badge allows you to use that as your title (which is what you see by peopleā€™s names here in the forums - Type 1, LADA, etc.,)

Again, welcome!

4 Likes

Hi @johnstow! Welcome!!

1 Like

Thank you, Richard157! It is inspiring to so many of us diabetics to hear positive stories like yours!

1 Like

Hello fudiabetes community, thanks for the invite from Harold!

Iā€™m Todd and I was diagnosed with type 1 in 1985 at age 7. I read some of the stories on here and how traumatic it was to get the diagnoses, I suppose I was young and naive enough that it just didnā€™t phase me much. Hearing from parents on this forum like Harold has made me appreciate what my parents must have been feeling! Apart from one incident in the first year, Iā€™ve had no major incidents with my diabetes and feel it is just a part of my daily life. I donā€™t mean to minimize diabetes, but I approach it simply as an inconvenience rather than something that controls my life. I recognize this is because Iā€™ve been blessed with good control and no complications yet (knock on wood!). Iā€™d say I was caring for myself independent of my parents by about age 12 (although I appreciated their continued concern and reminders).

After 10 years on between 1-4 daily injections, I was put on my first insulin pump at age 18. The pump has been the greatest help in managing my diabetes. Now with the CGM added to that, I feel so grateful for the advancements that enable good control. My greatest frustration is that managing diabetes is not an exact science. Sometimes it behaves inexplicably and you just have to do the best you can.

I used Medtronic pumps for 20 years and tried their CGM several years ago. When I found the Dexcom CGM to be far superior (in my experience), I switched to the Animas pumps so the pump and CGM could be paired. With the recent announcement that Animas will no longer be producing pumps, Iā€™d love input on what you all recommend as a replacement. To be honest, I was very happy with Medtronic pumps and customer support and havenā€™t loved the interface of the Animas pump. Iā€™ve heard good things about the T-slim. But I digress, Iā€™m sure there are some threads with these types of discussions.

[ADMIN NOTE] Split thread for Animas pump replacement topic: Replacement for my Animas pump?

After finding (and loving!) Dexcom (I use the G4), I created DexTape to help keep it adhered to my skin after trying several other products. I typically wear a sensor for three weeks to save cost and inconvenience of switching out sensors. My A1Cs are generally between 6.5 - 7.2, which Iā€™m happy about but always looking to improve and appreciate the opportunity to learn from many of you!

For me, the pump, CGM, healthy diet habits, and regular exercise create the best formula for good management. I appreciate all of you who give time and effort to educate, support, and discuss the issues we face as diabetics and family members!

Todd

8 Likes

Welcome @toddex!

I was diagnosed 2 years after you/older than you. I was talking to my mom recently about the whole diagnoses thing and mentioned how well she took it while I was in the hospital and how confident she seemed. Her response was along the lines of - well you have to put on a brave face for the kids but I was freaking out in the background as I had no idea what we were getting in to.

3 Likes

@toddex That is exactly the philosophy I follow! That is what makes us UNLIMITED. Sounds like you got right in here.

Welcome!

2 Likes

@toddex, welcome to our community! I look forward to reading you often.

@Michel, why donā€™t you split the thread and start one for @toddexā€™s question about pumps? This is a subject that must be interesting to many.

2 Likes

Done:

2 Likes