Vinegar and insulin sensitivity

Here are two articles about vinegar for Type 2

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/862975?src=trendmd_pilot

Has anyone tried vinegar? I would imagine that the use of vinegar would not replace insulin. However, would it reduce the TDD? @Eric are you willing to perform the experiment?

As an aside, why does it appear to me that there are more published articles about type 2 diabetes than type 1? How many Type 2 v Type 1 in the US or the world?

1 Like

Gary Scheiner mentioned this at a diabetes conference I attended awhile back. He said that "Research has shown that adding acidity in the form of vinegar (straight or in dressing/condiment form) can reduce the one-hour post-meal blood sugar rise by 50% or more. " He also said tomatoes (also acidic) can help, but I can’t find that in the literature anywhere.

2 Likes

I am not the right one to do an experiment like this. My TDD is already very low, so any changes it made would not be as obvious with me.

2 Likes

My TDD is approximately 10, and I’m currently on a fairly low carb diet, about 60g daily.

Any other takers?

1 Like

Thanks for sharing!

I will try and talk my “lab rat” aka my son, into trying it. Unfortunately, 20g of vinegar is a full shot glasses worth, so it isn’t going to be easy to convince him…

2 Likes

I’ll try … I’m used to drinking cider vinegar straight – it’s a miracle fix for foot cramps.

3 Likes

You can teach him lime and salt. Get him started out right.

6 Likes

Something to consider - during sports season this would not be good to do before activity. Since acetic acid might inhibit glycolysis, it could reduce the available energy from the carbs eaten before games.

2 Likes

Yeah that wouldn’t be so great, he wasn’t really keen on it anyway, so perhaps a sports season will give him enough time to warm up to the idea.

1 Like

It is an interesting theory. They are tinkering with the body’s chemistry a bit, and using acetic acid to suppress PFK-1 (phosphofructokinase-1), which is one of the enzymes used in glycolysis.

Anyway, that is my understanding of the idea.

All well and good if you are worried about BG after meals, but not necessarily the best from a performance perspective before athletic events.

2 Likes

Interesting. I’ll have to see how much vinegar I’m consuming when I make my own dressing (I use a lot on my salads :grin: ). I can’t drink vinegar straight, though, gag. They do make apple cider vinegar pills, which I’ve taken - anyone know if that would work?

The benefits of the vinegar have only been in limited studies so far, so the whole thing is still a little bit questionable.

And not all apple cider vinegar pills contain acetic acid. So some brands of the pills would not even have the thing that may or may not help your BG.

So with the pills it’s kind of a double question mark…

1 Like

Oh, yeah, totally got that. Just wondered for purposes of experimenting - I’d be willing to pop some pills, but I draw the line at vinegar shots! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I did a quick search. I ran across a number of them that did not list acetic acid. But these two brands both had it on the label.

• Nature’s Life

• Source Naturals

So if you want to try it, at least those two are claiming to have the ingredient you need.

1 Like

Just checked my medicine cabinet, and the brand I have does list it. So I guess I’ll report back if I discover anything amazing. :wink:

3 Likes

I had to abort my first experiment. I’d love to say it was the vinegar that made me flatline all through dinner and for an hour or so after, but unfortunately I bolused too early for the bulk of the meal and later went low. I’ll keep trying. Diluted with that amount of water, the vinegar is totally palatable. I see there are even some cocktails that have cider vinegar in them. Though quaffing one all in one go might earn me a bad reputation.

3 Likes

:laughing:

Sorry about the low!

1 Like

Okay, so this is hardly a controlled scientific experiment, given a multitude of variables, but here is a breakfast of three pancakes with 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup, same recipe and same carb count, without the vinegar beforehand:
pancakes1
High limit 10 (180), low limit 3.8 (68)

and with the vinegar beforehand:
pancakes2
High limit 9 (162), low limit 4 (72)

4 Likes

wow pretty dramatic! You’ll need to repeat to confirm – but that really does seem like a pretty strong effect.

@Beacher, what are your high and low limits set to? Depending on what those thresholds are this could either be a huge effect or a not-so-huge effect.

2 Likes