Alcohol

Ok, I only really only started treating my d in Dec (through diet), then insulin in Feb, and by then I was very pregnant. Then I had a newborn I was breastfeeding. So…basically outside of a couple sips of my husband’s hard cider here and there the past month, I haven’t had any alcohol in a year. Aside from my alcohol tolerance being pretty much gone, I’m nervous about drinking while on insulin, but my birthday is this weekend :grin: - any tips or resources y’all could point me towards?

Oh - and I should add, I have a sensitivity to alcohol and/or sulfites, so I only ever drink a max of 1/3 glass white wine or 1/2 a hard cider at a time to avoid a horrific migraine.

1 Like

Organic wine without sulfites.

I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to wine. I am fine with bag wine. Really. Whatever. So when I need a bottle for an event where I want to seem somewhat civilized, I ask the peeps at the wine store for a decent Organic Wine without Sulfites. This MIGHT alleviate your headaches.

I will let one of the D adults give you actual info on D and alcohol. We are not at that phase yet.

1 Like

There are a few carbs in wine, but not too much. About 4-5 grams in a glass. It’s not too hard to balance it into your meal or celebration. Just plan for it and adjust, and add it into your carbs if you are counting them.

If you are taking insulin for it, keep in mind that wine is not usually a sharp spike, the carbs are very slow.

If you like cider, this is something to try. Most ciders have a good bit of sugar in them, and will cause a quick spike, but this one is much lower in carbs and is a lot slower than most ciders. It’s a dry cider, not very sweet. This one is less likely to spike your BG than the sweet ones.

Virtue Michigan Brut
http://www.virtuecider.com/michigan-brut/

1 Like

I never, ever bolus for wine (and I drink a lot of it) and invariably if I have more than 1 or 2 I’ll end up low all night and into the next day… not like urgent low just trending lower than I otherwise would

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll check that one out.

Awesome. Hopefully I’ll have similar success - I miss wine!

1 Like

Although wine can potentially raise some people’s bg, the real risk and potential danger is the substantial slowing of glucogenesis (your livers natural insulin production of glucose) so when that happens all of a sudden your basal can go from being just right to counteract it to being way too much… just test a lot and don’t overdue it until you know what to expect

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m not on basal yet, so no danger from that, thank goodness. And I have a built in control of that sensitivity or whatever it is to keep me from drinking too much. :wink:

Then there is no danger. Choose drinks that don’t require bolus insulin and start out with normal blood sugar… you’ll be fine

2 Likes

Good to know - that makes perfect sense.

1 Like

When I go out, I like to order Effen vodka. Just because it’s fun to say, “Give me an Effen vodka!”

https://www.effenvodka.com/

4 Likes

Cucumber vodka? What marketing genius thought that one up?

1 Like

Maybe they saw the popularity of Hendrick’s gin, which uses cucumber as a flavoring agent. If you order a gin and tonic with Hendrick’s, they usually use a cucumber slice instead of a lime slice.

1 Like

And it is tasty served that way. In a South American beach town, we were served ice cold Hendrik’s with a small amount of cucumber puree and it was very tasty and refreshing.

1 Like

I will second the DRY cider options. My boyfriend EH finds them much easier on the D than wine.

Also, have you considered developing a scotch or whiskey habit? No mixers other than ice or water?

:clinking_glasses:

1 Like

Ok, that made me laugh. I’d be tempted to order it just for that reason, too!

Unfortunately, I’m almost positive I’m sensitive to alcohol - thought it was just sulfites at first, but the more I research it, the more unlikely that becomes - so the alcohol content alone would probably be problematic for me. I would definitely have to work to develop a taste for them, haha…I discovered the alcohol sensitivity shortly before I turned 21, so I haven’t ever had the opportunity to drink much. :blush:

2 Likes

I actually already have a (expensive) habit of Macallan single malt.

Though my habit is not as expensive as the 40 year. The 12 or 18 works just fine. :slight_smile:

I happened to read the following, before I looked at the price, and I thought “Well, that would make a nice gift!” Nope. So would half of a new car! Wowza! You’ll never talk @Pianoplayer7008 into a scotch habit!

@Pianoplayer7008 I’m so sorry about your sensitivity to alcohol, but I do feel like at times drinking is highly overrated. I am a big fan of the club soda and lime strategy - or really any non-boozy drink plus a twist - so I can feel like I am participating in the evening, without having to get smashed along with everyone else.

That being said, EH and I do like getting a bit tipsy now and again, I have talked to a number of T1D folks, and they manage to do drinking+insulin safely. Even EH’s FNP/CDE lady suggests the booze-no-sugary-mixers route as a suggested method of fun times (which is a huge improvement over the first three endo’s who said: no. alcohol. ever.) He has had a hard time controlling his BG after a lot of cocktails, but generally it trends high, not low.

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t think I would drink a lot even if I could, but sometimes I feel it would be nice to have something to take the edge off after a stressful day (I struggle a bit with anxiety, especially the past year or so) or to just enjoy a drink when out with friends or with family! Non-boozy drinks with a twist might be the route to go.

1 Like

I like a couple of glasses of wine dinner and find that in the morning I either have to eat more carbs (Danish, anyone?) or lower my basal for a couple of hours to prevent lows.

1 Like

That’s interesting! I have to take more insulin in the mornings just to eat breakfast (and generally have to eat less carbs than at other meals to avoid spiking) - maybe a wine habit might help. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes