Vinegar and insulin sensitivity

Added now.

Pancakes and syrup again? Aw c’mon, have some mercy.

3 Likes

Nice graphs! But, were you doing jumping jacks while waiting for the flapjacks? Was there any other variables in the vinegar puzzle?

2 Likes

Wow! Do you find you’re more carb sensitive when low? I am, which would give me a more dramatic spike if eating a lot of simple carbs when low than if I was eating when in range.

Starting/fasting BG’s were different, preceding overnight trends were different. Both would affect response to breakfast. It does bear repeating, though.

(Gwyneth Paltrow, Oprah, and Dr. Oz have all been in touch about my vinegar experiment, so at the moment I’m afraid I can’t say more.)

3 Likes

I’ve been having fermented foods/drinks including ACV, and fermented sauerkraut. It would seem to me that fermented products seem to have a beneficial effect on how I feel overall. I don’t feel as hungry. I seem to experience less frequently the feeling of being ravenously hungry. My fasting BG’s seem pretty decent, 90’s to about 100. Maybe the impact of these fermented foods aren’t as easily quantifiable as x units of insulin. It’s customary to pair some vinegar with Carby, greasy Chinese food. I used to assume that the vinegar was to cut the grease, maybe it helps with the carb too. I don’t know if it can be said that ACV can definitely lower BG. For me, so far, it appears to stabilize or lead to pretty decent numbers (as opposed to having a definitely bad impact)

3 Likes

I have a passion for Unsweetened Girken Pickles (B&G brand in the grocery store). They are, like the foods u mentioned, filled with salt. Salt can bloat you and give you a sensation of fullness.

just my 2 cents :wink:

2 Likes

The ACV, even diluted is probably not great for tooth enamel if consumed regularly. Does anyone recall the tooth soaked in a cup of Coca Cola experiment?

2 Likes

I think you’d have to do it pretty regularly for erosion to occur. Anyway, this is done right before a meal, so even chewing your first mouthful will remove any damaging acidity. Same as they recommend to rinse afterwards if you’re one of the lemon-water set.

That tooth was left in Coke for 24 hours, by the way, so it’s not really comparable.

3 Likes

I agree - it’s not comparable. It was mentioned for amusement

Have you been taking ACV?

1 Like

Not recently. It must affect the memory, because I keep forgetting. :grin:

3 Likes

I have not been taking it regularly either.
It’s not the greatest tasting “beverage”. It’s not something where one would say: " ohhh… yummy, got to have some."

2 Likes

I have noticed that if I use German mustard on a cheese sandwich w/ 25g carbs in German bread, that my BG rises much slower than without the mustard. It could be coincidental and be completely unrelated, but the mustard’s first ingredient is ACV! :slight_smile: It also makes the sandwich so much more tasty as I love mustard!! :heart: :sandwich:

3 Likes

I did not know that apple cider vinegar was added to mustard! You learn something new everyday :slightly_smiling_face:. So glad that it’s not High fructose corn syrup - which is the worst!!!

2 Likes

Yep ZERO high fructose corn syrup! :slight_smile:

2 Likes