V-go: New Pump worn like a patch?

Sent away for a non functional sample to check out.

The%20V-Go%20Insulin%20Delivery%20Device
https://www.go-vgo.com

I looked at that a while ago. The problem was that is was only 2 unit increments and wasn’t adjustable. I thought about trying it and using diluted insulin though.

1 Like

Why is it only approved for T2 patients? Looks like it would be a great replacement for a pump for T1’s.

1 Like

I think anyone could wear it, but because 1’s usually need more precise dosing for meals, the target group was 2’s. (yes, I know some 2’s use IC’s and also use a pump, but many do not)

And also it would just be a boost for meals, since it doesn’t do basal.

The drawback I saw for myself was only letting you do a 2 unit dose.

1 Like

Would be a great solution for me. I use a 44 unit basal dose and I rarely bolus less than 10 units for a meal, or any snack.

I wonder if my doc would write me rx to try out?

1 Like

I would think you’d be able to get it. Nothing proprietary about it for T2’s.

What’s next, cats and dogs sleeping together?

2 Likes

I was pretty sure the How It Works section mentions that it does do basal and bolus dosing.

“V-Go is designed to fit easily into your life and help you manage type 2 diabetes by delivering a steady rate of insulin 24 hours a day (basal). V-Go also enables you to give yourself a dose of insulin during mealtimes (bolus).”

@docslotnick
Here is the link for getting the demo unit, and info to provide your PCP

https://www.go-vgo.com/form/free-demo-kit

Okay. There was one that was in development a few years ago that was similar. The company got bought by Johnson & Johnson. And then they kinda put their diabetes department on the back burner (see Animas!).

I think it was called Via or Via One Touch at the time. But that one didn’t have basal. It also had a 2 unit dose.

It looked the same. I assumed this was the same thing. Maybe it is the same but they added basal to it?

The basal on this one just has 3 different amounts to choose, right?

Looks like the Omnipod in rectangular form.

I signed up for the sample device. It sounds very intriguing and the dosing seems to fit right in with my dosing regimen I’ll let you know how it works out.

1 Like

So it looks like this one has 3 preset basal amounts - 20, 30, or 40 Units per 24 hours. Would you just drop your Tresiba or Toujeo amount down to adjust for that? Or would one of those amounts match what you need?

1 Like

I think I’d try out the 40 unit model and drop basal by 4 units. 36 units of bolus seems like it would be just enough for me, and any shortfall occasionally could be made up for with an injection.

2 Likes

Cool, let us know what you think of it!

1 Like

I think this is a flop for some T2 patients. My brother tried and was not happy with it. My brother like many T2s is very insulin resistant. At 2 units per click it takes quite a few click to get the desired bolus.

The 40 unit size can do a basal of 1.67 units per hour. This sound like a lot but not for a resistant T2. The same size pump can deliver only 36 units of bolus per pump, again not always enough for a resistant.

Each V Go is intended twenty-four hours of use. This means a site change everyday. This fact alone would be a deal breaker for me.

One last note, the V-Go is not new on the market, it was approved for use in 2010. It just hasn’t taken off.

3 Likes

You click for a two unit dose, but can click more than once. I’ve only been using one week but I’m in love. I’m in independent living apartment and our meals are at set times. Problem is, wait staff might take order quickly, or 45 mins later and won’t allow injecting at table. This means I can’t inject before leaving apartment so usually wait til post meal. If we eat early, it means a longer time before injecting… My a1c has suffered. Tonight I counted 63 carbs which is a 6 unit bolus. While ordering, I clicked three times. My bolus was administered and when my meal arrived the insulin was already onboard. Love my new “toy”. Mornings have been running about 119, before lunch about 123 and dinner about 145. No more 250s in the evening. My highest was 179 and that was a spike that lowered quickly. I’m using V-go 20.

1 Like

I was hesitant about changing pod every day but I prefill a few and stick in frig. All it takes to change pods is to push a button to withdrawal needle on old pod and untape it. The alcohol new spot, peel cover from tape, press onto body, push little button and your off and running. At most it takes 2 minutes. Much quicker than my Dexcom G5.

2 Likes

Your endo will advise you which vgo is best for you. To the best of my knowledge you should not use anything else with the vgo. I have stopped Lantus and Novolog pens. I haven’t had an injection since I started a week ago, and it definitely seems strange.

1 Like

Really glad you found a way! But I am must say I find this “requirement” of not allowing you to inject at the table totally out of line. This is not the 50s any more!

2 Likes

I “obey” their rules to some extent BUT this is MY home and as long as it doesn’t bother people at my table I realize they have no real standing. I have shown them info from Americans with Disabilities act and will challenge their requirements whenever necessary. Manager came over one day while I was doing a finger test. I told him I was feeling hypo and asked him if he was going to be the one to dial 911 for me if I passed out on his diningroom floor. I think he finally got it. You think pricking my finger upsets people, watching someone seize on the floor probably wouldn’t do any good for their appetites.

7 Likes