Omnipod go

Thought some may find this interesting, omnipod go for t2 on long acting insulin receives approval.
https://www.diabeteseducator.org/news/perspectives/adces-blog-details/danatech-latest-news/2023/04/25/insulet-announces-fda-clearance-of-omnipod-go-basal-only-insulin-pod

Yes, and no.

My perspective, as a T1D married to a “T2” who the medical establishment won’t acknowledge as such (her BG control is way too good because, well, she’s married to a T1).

Using a pod as a basal delivery is way, way, way^infinity much better than Lantus. Lantus once you inject it you can’t pull it out. The 'pod can just be stopped. It’s a compelling, completely compelling, argument which, of course, the major insulin manufacturers will drawn up alms and weeponise to defend themselves against. Insulet are right and they are wrong.

But the whole shebang is built upon the idea that T2 can be effectively treated with just a once a day whack with a sort of “long acting” insulin. That’s so much brown stuff. For one thing “T2” is everything that has not been nominated “T1” or T3. T2 is just all-of-the-rest.

So there is no real “T2” and therefore there is no single right treatment. I want Insulet to prevail in this, but for sure I will never say they are right, just better than the alternative.

For us T1s we have to keep working. Many, maybe most, T2s need systems like the O5; they are simple, easy to operate and they do work. They do just work for people who have a supporting endogenous insulin capability; it may have to be brought back to life, but the whole shebang does work.

…Deleted

1 Like

I mean to be challenging; if one person starts to think differently because of something I say and another person then challenges them correctly maybe the whole world will change for the better. Or maybe for the worse; but at least I might have helped.

Just let me say, I am t1 on omnipod 5, and cannot dispute anything you say. I put this out for information purposes only, knowing there well could be some that this could help, at the very least another opinion for some.

1 Like

Pod which is offered in seven different pre-programmed daily rates, ranging from 10 to 40 units per day, and operates without the need for a handheld device to control the Pod.

I’m not sure but this sounds like you can’t change the dosage once the pod is started? I wonder why someone wouldn’t just start on Dash instead of this? You could certainly use Dash as basal only but would retain the capability of changing basal rates for the 3 days.

The part about the no need for handheld device is weird. Certainly you need a pdm or controller to start the pod? Unless it’s only cell phone controlled?

…and you need a controller to deactivate the screeching pod when there is a problem.

1 Like

lol definitely

Or maybe they include a proprietary safety pin with each pod.

2 Likes

Hahaha right, i didn’t read article on it only press release

Pre-programmed daily rates of 10-40…

The newest addition to the Omnipod brand features a tubeless and waterproof* Pod which is offered in seven different pre-programmed daily rates, ranging from 10 to 40 units per day, and operates without the need for a handheld device to control the Pod.
…which is offered in seven different pre-programmed daily rates, ranging from 10 to 40 units per day,

So other than being able to stop basal by pulling off the pod - which you can’t do with an injection - I am not sure what the advantage would be over just doing a Tresiba once-a-day.

Tresiba is also a pre-programmed daily rate…

I know some people don’t like injections. But an injection once a day is generally easier than a pod every 3 days. If you add up the time to fill and prime and insert a pod, that is definitely much more time than it takes to pop 3 injections.

Is the idea that people will be more likely to follow this as a regimen? Like they will forget a daily Tresiba shot, but won’t forget pod replacement?

Other than being able to stop the basal, which @jbowler referenced, I am not sure I get it.
. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

As a person with type 2, I agree with this statement even if MODY, MODA and whatever else is lumped under type 2 are eliminated. The real difficult with a one size fits all treatment of type 2 is that the disease is progressive.

I like to use my history as an example. I was diagnosed 33 years ago with fBG of 450mg/dl and 14+% HbA1c. That’s important because it indicates that I was type 2 long before diagnosis.

It was blurry vision that got me diagnosed. That scared me because I already knew that diabetes mellitus is a leading cause of blindness. I was started on Micronase and began exercising regularly and limiting carbs. Less than 6 months the Micronase had to go because of hypos.

I had near normal BG management for 10 years. Then it began to spike. Diet and exercise were not effective in lowering BG. Doc prescribed Metformin, overtime the dose was increased to the max. At that point, Lantus was added. 2 1/2 years ago BG rose once again, My PCP and I decided that I should begin MDI with Dexcom G6.

A year and a half ago I was referred to an endo and began using a pump. I doubt I make any significant amount of endogenous insulin any more. With MDI and the pump my HbA1c has been ranging from 5.6 to 6.0%. Exercise and diet are still mainstays in my treatment.

There is a good reason to begin basal insulin with those with type 2 early. It appears that early use of basal increases the lifespan of the Beta cells, giving them a break from over secreting to combat cellular resistance to insulin.

IMO, the use of oral or injectable type 2 drugs should be in combination with basal insulin. I would think that secretagogues, sulfonylureas and glinides would be counter effective because they stimulate the Beta cells to secrete even more insulin, thus shortening their lives.

4 Likes

Advantage for whom? I think this sentence is the point:

“If a patient becomes insulin-intensive, meaning they require both basal and bolus insulin, the transition to another Omnipod product would be seamless.”

It doesn’t offer any treatment advantage over Tresiba, as you say, but it does get people trained on the Omnipod product line. It shapes patients into future loyal customers.

2 Likes

Yep. I was going to use the word “marketing”.

It makes sense for the company, but maybe not as much for the person.

It’s interesting, because you are kind of in their target market for this, right? You are still currently taking Tresiba?

If I were going to go to a pod I’d just pick a regular one that has basal and bolus functionality, since I use both Humalog and Tresiba right now. Way back in my first months I was just on (too much) Tresiba, but I pushed for adding Humalog because I knew I was spiking right after meals even if my A1C was good (didn’t have a CGM then either).

2 Likes

Yea after reading everyone’s post I don’t get it either, only thing I can figure is they made this for the people who’s insurance won’t cover the 5 (easily), since this is made for type 2’s insurance will probably cover it and therefore when it is not working good for patients doctors will have medical necessity validation and patients have better chance of getting the 5. So as stated above Marketing

3 Likes

There is also a similar one called V-Go

https://www.go-vgo.com/

1 Like

I would love a push-button pod. Where you don’t need a PDM or controller, you just push a button and it gives a pre-programmed bolus amount. If you need more, you just press it a few more times.

That idea has been in the wind for at least the last 8 years. It just never gets made.

The problem with the V-Go is that it also gives basal. I would like one that just gives bolus when you want it to.

1 Like

@Eric I got to say my old Medtronic 530g had that feature, you set the amount it will give in setting and would deliver that amount when ever you pushed, the buttons at same time (i believe it was both buttons simultaneously, but its been awhile) and you could push say 3 times for 3 boluse (if i remember right i had it set at 1unit per press) i can remember driving down the road and giving myself boluses with out having to look at the pump, that little pump was a beast, if only the sensors would have been worth anything would probably still be wearing, its a backup to my backup (original omnipod).

1 Like