Unlimited Diabetic

This weekend we were notified that my diabetic has been named as a National Merit Semifinalist. He had a score that safely qualified him in all 50 states. One more year of weird online/hybrid high school and onto other cool things.

20 Likes

Congratulations to him and you all! Hard work pays off!

5 Likes

Wow, that is awesome! Congratulations!!

3 Likes

Wow !

Way to go, Cody!

:exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

3 Likes

Congrats!! That junior year of HS can be make it or break it…glad to hear of your son’s success. Keep it going!!

4 Likes

That is FANTASTIC!!! Congratulations!

6 Likes

Awesome!!

3 Likes

Congratulations to your son! That’s an awesome accomplishment. :sunflower:

3 Likes

yay! awesome. Those used to pay for a full, 4-year-ride at many state schools. Do you know if it will pay well at his preferred school?

1 Like

The days of most state schools paying a full 4-year ride are gone, but their a few, and we are applying to a couple of those. These would be his safety schools, i.e. University of Alabama and Texas Tech. He is also applying to a number of select schools, but our and his finances will depend greatly on whether he qualifies for some smart kid money at those schools.

4 Likes

I don’t know how much he’s looked into this, but there are a lot of hidden or less well-known scholarships at many schools that can be applied to if you have the time to go digging. Often very few people apply because they’re not well known. On their own they may be 3k, 5k, etc., but if you get like 5 of them, that’s a significant subsidy. I learned that the hard way when I went to UT Austin. I got a scholarship for tuition but did not realize that was a tiny fraction of the total expense (seriously – my senior year, taking 20 credits was $1200 per semester! the good old days). And then when I got there I realized a few of my friends had swooped up several engineering-specific scholarships that amounted to living expenses. Anyways, given that his load this semester is likely to be somewhat lighter, perhaps he can spend some time researching all those extra scholarships. It’s a lot of work but it can pay off quite a bit.

4 Likes

Yes, he will be spending some time looking for these smaller scholarships once applications are done in mid-October, we have some good ones in our community, but unfortunately, as we found with my older son a lot less than you think, especially in the 3-5k range, there are many in the $500 - $1,000 range though, but you have to string a bunch of these together to make a dent.

Way to go Cody!

I second the little known scholarships or grants @TiaG suggested! We found out too late that my daughter qualified for a scholarship for “tall girls” (those 5 ft 11 inches or taller).

Wish we had done more searching earlier!

5 Likes

Who was the tall girl scholarship offered through?

Sorry, I don’t remember the organization (it was quite a few years ago, she’s 26 now).

1 Like

Congratulations to your son! That is a fantastic accomplishment! Can’t wait to see what’s next!

Hope all of the kids are doing well in whatever schooling arrangements they’re in now - Jessica

1 Like