This is why I hate low-carb, high-fat breakfasts

A portion of milk is protein. Most of milk protein is in the form of casein and whey.

As you know from our swimming discussions, I tell you that you need carbs and protein when you are finished with your workouts. Protein helps repair and rebuild muscle tissue.

Proteins are made from amino acids. There are 9 amino acids that the human body cannot make and you need to get them from your diet. These are called the essential amino acids.

One of the things that makes milk such a great food is that milk proteins contain all 9 of the essential amino acids required by humans.

If I could only pick a few foods that I could consume to provide all the nutrition I need for the rest of my life (for health, not for enjoyment), some of them would be milk, avocado, banana, salmon, cantaloupe, beans, and oats. Milk is definitely on my list. (plus you can put Ovaltine in it.)

3 Likes

In addition to all the things @Eric said, itā€™s usually the proteins of something that cause an allergic or immune response. For example, the autoimmune response to wheat is to gluten, the protein found in wheat (which is why distilled spirits made from wheat are drinkable by people with celiac, because the process of distilling completely removes any of those proteins). Food allergies are almost always to proteins, with the one exception I can think of being the tick-induced reaction to a sugar in red meat that some people have. Lactose intolerance on the other hand, is not an allergy, but rather the inability to process/digest the milk sugar (lactose) because your small intestine does not produce lactase, the enzyme to break it down, so it basically starts to rot in your GI tract, causing all those unpleasant symptoms. Itā€™s normal to not produce lactase as an adult mammalā€”the weirdos are really the minority of humans with the genetic mutation to keep producing it into adulthood (mostly people of western/northern European descent; most other ethnic groups are largely lactose intolerant as adults).

What kind of cheese was it? People vary in how intense their lactose intolerance isā€”some people are reactive to even very small amounts. Could also be a coincidence if it just happened once, or some other reactivity. Dairy protein reactions usually donā€™t produce GI symptoms I think, more like allergic symptoms (skin and respiratory), but maybe for some it would be GI. Allergies can be tricky. Hard to figure out anything from just one data point though.

4 Likes

It was sharp cheddar, which I can usually eat when I havenā€™t been glutened recently. :slightly_frowning_face: That was one of several attempts to reintroduce, though my reaction was much more severe than usual. Same with eggs, actually - I do fine with them unless glutened, and my reaction now is more severe than before. I was tested for both dairy and egg allergies years ago, and both were negative (and I have never had the typical allergy symptoms, so didnā€™t think they would be positive anyway).

[quote=ā€œTiaG, post:4, topic:437ā€]
scrambled eggs do the exact same thing, by the way, only there he usually winds up in the 300s for hours on end.
[/quote]I am puzzled by scrambled eggs. Isnā€™t it primarily protein? Protein can raise BG,ā€¦wowā€¦that much? Can anyone share their thoughts on why eggs would raise BG by that much? I can understand yogurt , carbohydrate, raising BG.

I am wondering whether adding flaxseed to yogurt would slow down the BG rise caused by yogurt because flaxseed would increase the fiber content of yogurt/flaxseed. The addition of flaxseed would also make me feel fuller, and therefore eat a lesser quantitiy of yogurt than without flaxseed.

1 Like

Yes, I think it does. I mix 1/4 cup each of seeds (flaxseed, hemp and chia seed), plain Greek yoghurt, and berries/fruit and this seems to slow the rise of BGs so there are no spikes. And yes, it definitely makes for a fuller meal! Coffee w/ cream though could still cause a spike so you need to monitor that, as well as just the dawn phenomenon effect,

1 Like

As I understand it, glucose is the primary energy source for the cells in the body, and digestion creates glucose from ā€œallā€ of the carbs, ā€œsomeā€ of the protein, and ā€œa little bitā€ of the fat. In a conventional diet, the huge majority of the glucose produced comes from the carbs, so we ignore the others. In a low-carb meal this doesnā€™t work so well. Some folks deal with this via T.A.G. bolusing, (Total-Available-Glucose bolusing), one version of which counts 100% of the carbs, 40% of the protein, and 10% of the fat grams eaten, with an adjusted (lower) insulin to carb ratio to make it work.

2 Likes

The TAG approach is a good start. I think there is also an amplification factor for high fat meals that may be at play as well? Also, possible later
am DP effects?

2 Likes

Iā€™ve read about TAG. Imagine that protein could have the effects on BG, similar to what I think carbohydrates, such as bread! BG in the 300ā€™s!

If I understand correctly, if one were to eat an English muffin and eggs, the carbs from the muffin is much greater than the impact from the eggs. Would the insulin dosing be primarily based on the muffin - carbohydrates?

is cottage cheese very different from yogurt for many of you in terms of the effects on BG?

It appears to be that a few people have given up on yogurt.

1 Like

haha. Come out, come out, wherever youā€™re hiding.

Oh no totally different animals. Cottage cheese is very manageable yogurt spikes me like crazy

3 Likes

Really? Why didnā€™t I get he memo!!

The yogurt lobby- recommending that we eat yogurt to get good bacteria!

I looked at the nutrition label cottage cheese is lower carb compared to yogurt for the same serving size. Better late than never.

1 Like

Siggiā€™s puts out an 8 gram yogurt with no artificial sweeteners that I tolerate pretty well. But itā€™s hard to find in our area.

2 Likes

I just use one of the smallest available pottles of commercial yoghurt to start a culture but I donā€™t quite have the religion so I always forget about them.

Most cultures leave the yoghurt way too sweet; way too much sugar. The ā€œgreekā€ ones might do better but the thing that defines a yoghurt as greek is that it has been strained. Iā€™m still experimenting with some cultures I bought off Amazon for $16 (4 cultures). The first was a wash; still way too much sugar after 24 hours.

You could try kefir. That sends my BG through the roof too, but it tastes nice (it was goats milk kefir, your milligrammes may vary.)

1 Like

I tried making kefir; and like the sour taste. But kefir spikes my BG too.

Is there a section here in the groups/forum, on classification of foods into causing

1. fast BG rise
  2. medium BG rise
  3. slowwwwā€¦delayed BG rise?

Pizza seems to fall into #3. Where does pasta with chicken fall into? #3?

I must also take insulin for eggs. and it doesnā€™t matter how many I seem to eat. 1 - 4 eggs required the same bolus amount. Perhaps its bc they are fatty, the way some people need to bolus for the cheese in pizza, etc. Havenā€™t a clue. I just know (after much experimentation, and as always YDMV) that eggs require my accounting for 10gms of carbs. (and btw, I have to do the same with chicken and fish as well. baffling.)

2 Likes

You said it! Yogurt is a weird beast. I cannot tolerate Greek yogurt, but I can easily tolerate Sheeps Milk yogurt, Goats milk yogurt, and full fat ā€œregularā€ yogurt. I can even digest Islandic Skry ā€œyogurtā€ (which is amazingly similar to the Greek)???

And, I have no problem with cottage cheese or any cheeses at all. (of course, the fattier the cheese, the more insulin I need and must use a duel bolus).

Go figure! :thinking:

2 Likes

This is very encouraging. What is unique about the Ezekiel sprouted bread?

1 Like

I donā€™t know really except maybe my body needed a different type of carb in the morning. Maybe the yogurt had too much fat compared to the bread. Plus sprouted grain bread is high fiber.

2 Likes