This is why I hate low-carb, high-fat breakfasts

I normally eat eggs for zero carbs as my liver kicks into overdrive in the morning and any carbs then can do thesame as your writing about and throw it up to 250 and then impossible to get down
My friend makes coconut / almond flour pancakes - you can find the recipe on low carb diet websites - 2 pancakes is only about 3G carb - Ithey don’t cause me to rise and also her 2 yr old loves them with some yoghurt - I think that would pass for Passover ? She does it for gluten intolerance

3 Likes

i need to bolus for eggs, not just in the morning, but at any other time as well. i know that there are no carbs in eggs, but for some reason, for any serving of protein, i have to bolus for 10 gms of carbs.

also, if i even just look at food in the morning, i need to bolus for it :wink:

2 Likes

And your coffee–so not fair, DM! :scream_cat:

2 Likes

tell me about it. i did see some cold brewed coffee in a shop yesterday, but it said “super high” on the can and i thought, jesus, i better stay away from that !

1 Like

Try a small cold-brew from a coffee joint (unsweetened) and let me know happens. I like mine with half-and-half 'cos it brings out the chocolate goodness in the coffee.

1 Like

sounds like a good plan. perhaps i will try this out at Starbucks. and, as far as half and half goes, i could drink it plain. i love thick rich and creamy…like ice cream or greek yogurt or cheesecake or whipped cream :blush:

3 Likes

Hi @Robellengold, I think I’ve actually tried that exact coconut/almond flour pancake recipe online… and it caused a huge spike for Samson. It’s really consistent that if he eats less than, say 8 or 9g of carbs for breakfast he spikes hugely. 20-30 g seems basically perfect.

2 Likes

it never ceases to amaze me how diabetes varies so strongly. With our son, anything above 12 carbs or so for breakfast creates almost uncontrollable spikes.

For me, it also depends on the mix of proteins and fats with the carbs. I rarely eat straight carbs, except to treat low. Also depends on how long I wait to eat.

I don’t have exact formulas, but use general instinct, and watch the dexcom.

4 Likes

I think you are going good.

I used to eat almost the exact breakfast you said -plain Greek yogurt (only about s half cup) topped with berries and walnuts with a drizzle of honey and my blood sugars were never good. I switched to Ezekiel sprouted bread (two slices for 30g) with almond butter and jelly and my blood sugars are so much better. Something about yogurt?? Low carb seems to do the opposite for me- less control of blood sugars than if I eat 30-40g carbs. I’ve been baffled by it.

1 Like

Yogurt is such a weird beast. For some on the forum, it seems to be the easiest food. For others it is an impossible hurdle.

I suspect it may have to do with dairy compatibility. There are large populations with genetics that are not dairy-friendly.

2 Likes

i wonder why this is. i can eat cheese without a problem, but yogurt requires a physicists degree from Dr. Frankenstein’s School of Medicine. :wink:

1 Like

If it’s an inflammatory response (which can definitely drive up blood sugars like any immune response), it could make sense, since cheese has more fat than anything else, and you’ve mentioned before that greek yogurt is worse for you than regular, and of all those things, greek yogurt should have the highest amount of milk proteins (which is what immune systems generally react to). I do know someone who had to cut out dairy while nursing an allergic baby and found that it had such a profound improvement on blood sugars, despite otherwise not having symptomatic allergies, she stayed that way.

3 Likes

i dont know if this enlightens any of this at all, but i do have Grave’s Disease which is another auto-immune disease which effects digestion, metabolism and so much more.

i have figured out how to eat yogurt: full fat regular (not Greek ) yogurt. and, btw, i prefer it to the Greek.

there are all of these commercials on TV now about this new milk called A2 which apparently does not have the milk proteins in it and it is allowing people, who otherwise could not enjoy drinking milk, the ability to have milk in their diets. i am going to hunt this new milk down and try it out. currently, i use Lactaid 4% milk, and as long as i dont drink much of it, i’m fine.

(the other thing that i can eat without a problem is cottage cheese.)

2 Likes

I would be really interested in your results. My son has Graves’ characteristic antibodies, although he has no symptoms yet.

So I hope you will have a thread on that!

1 Like

i was dx with Graves when i was right out of college. i was so sick. no doctors bothered to test my TSH levels, but i was tested for everything else, including HIV. i was ematiated and my right eye bulged out of its socket. i sweat day and night. i could barely keep any food down. my hormones were all over the map. i cried all the time. my heart pounded so hard that i thought it would come out of my chest. ugh. miserable.

i was put on so many different meds. finally i saw en endo who recommended me to a doctor who specialized in radioactive medicine. i had radioactive iodine treatment, and it took a year to do its magic on me. in the meantime, i was on prednisone, some kind of heart medication, and some kind of pain medication that i cannot remember. i also had to wear these weird eye glasses with prisms in them to account for the bulging eye problem (finally, when i went into remission, i had corrective surgery). thank god.

there are some questions that it may be related in some way to D, as it is also an auto-immune disease that attacks a lot of the same markers in the body.

i am 100% fine now. i take 1 pill daily for it, and i am in no pain, nor do i have any consequences from having the illness.

2 Likes

If that’s true, than your issue couldn’t be just a reaction to milk protein, since cottage cheese is even higher in milk protein than greek yogurt.

Also if you need lactaid milk, you’ll still need a form of lactase with a milk-protein-free milk, since that milk should still have lactose in it, right? That’s easy enough to do with the tablets though. I’m lactose intolerant, but I don’t like actual milk at all, so I just use non-dairy forms of it. I do like other dairy products, and use lactaid tablets with things like ice cream or high-lactose cheeses (ricotta, paneer, some mozzarella, etc).

3 Likes

what exactly are milk proteins? can you explain this more?

Here’s something odd…I have a problem with dairy (common for someone with celiac disease). Treating it like lactose intolerance has worked well the past 4 years since I was diagnosed with CD unless I get glutened, and then I have to cut it out entirely, as even lactose-free dairy or taking pills doesn’t work. Last week I had a horrific reaction to dairy (was glutened in January and haven’t been able to reintroduce dairy since), and what I ate was cheese that shouldn’t have had any lactose, AND I took pills just to be safe. I have no idea why I’m now beyond simple lactose intolerance, which again makes sense for someone with CD (the villi destroyed by gluten are where lactase enzymes are produced). Can lactose intolerance cause symptoms even with pills/virtually lactose free foods, or maybe I should be looking at a possible dairy protein intolerance…?

1 Like