This is my Cereal Bowl.... Unlimited? Or Unnecessary?

That’s amazing. I love that!

If my pod placement experiment works, then I expect another FUD animation from you. :joy::joy:

2 Likes

Aaaaaaand a 226.

Spoke too soon. But thanks for the bowl of cheer and celebration. Would’ve been perfect. :rage:

2 Likes

So next time do a little more insulin. Either more upfront, or more extended, depending on when the spike happened.

Maybe next time you only spike to 180, and then the time after it is only 160, and so forth. Bit by bit you can make it better.

And also make sure your leprechaun is not messing with your basal beforehand.

3 Likes

@Nickyghaleb, I’ve been bouncing around all day. I had to start a new Dexcom sensor last night before bed bc the one I’d had in for 5 days had been lying to me for too long. My new pod site seems much more insulin sensitive. I can’t get great Dexcom data yet on this new sensor. It’s been a bit of an ordeal…plus hormones. So I’ll match your 226 and raise you…well, not saying by how much. :grinning:

1 Like

258… yes, I definitely undershot the bolus, but how?? Hour long workout, no suspends, 50% temp that finished as I headed out the door, and a BG of a 58… it wasn’t even a full 2 servings, more one and a half, and I did do insulin for 30 of the less 40g of carbs… but in an extended bolus because I wanted to have the insulin cover it as I rose… was that the mistake?? The extended bolus??

Woman, I’ve been trying to tame this roller coaster for like 3 days. Thought today was the day. Dang.

1 Like

Was it all extended?

1 Like

Yup. Bad idea??

I had a feeling not to do that, but I was thinking exercise would still be pushing everything down. I was trying to avoid going low before I saw the rise and having to treat again…

That’s the first time I tried an extended bolus in that scenario. Dang it.

Were you on zero basal when you were running?

I rarely would extend everything.

Generally I do normal bolus. But if I extend, I only do a small amount. But you just gotta find the right numbers for you.

2 Likes

no zero basal. I have no idea why I went with the extended bolus. I have been doing fine after exercise… I was just trying to get fancy. :roll_eyes: I jumped on my trampoline for another 30 minutes, and now I’m at a 64 with 3.5 units on board…

the run was really good though. :relaxed:

1 Like

Personally I wouldn’t bother with an extended bolus for cereal, which for many people is a spike food. Another option for countering the spike (just to complicate your life a little more) is the super-bolus, where you “borrow” a couple of hours’ worth of basal by adding it to your bolus and then suspending or reducing your basal for 2 hours after that. This gives you additional insulin up front to deal with the carby cereal, and the decrease afterwards helps prevent a big crash.

You can also live life on the edge and just bolus extra without adjusting the following basal, but keep an eye on things so you can head off the low before it happens.

Love your ideas and appreciate your taking the time. I have been tinkering with those kinds of boluses, and I’m seeing some improvement. But would you do a sup-bolus after an hour long workout? Maybe this is “stuck thinking”, as, truly, all evidence proves it not to be so consistent, but I still consider my blood sugar to be more likely to trend down following a workout. Maybe I have to get that out of my head. As often as I test following a workout and see I’m back to needing full insulin almost immediately, you’d think I’d wipe the faulty generalization…

Your body is often times better able to utilize insulin after exercise.
how-exercise-increases-the-effect-of-insulin-and-carb-usage

But the counter-effect is if you have been at zero basal or reduced basal for hours, you might have to replace the lost basal. Those two things might cancel each other out for you.

I almost always do aggressive bolusing and carb intake right after. That helps to make sure I will have enough muscle glycogen for the next day.

But you just have to find a formula that works for you.

2 Likes

Yes, I’m figuring these things out over time. I used to just run up my BGs. I think the after-effect of exercise is very different when you’ve done that versus when you’ve lowered insulin rates. however, having done the former for the majority of my years as a diabetic, I’ve learned that I tend to crash after exercise. Now I’m learning that I sometimes need even a touch of insulin.

I’m sorting it out, but it helps when you give your explanations the way you do. It confirms what I “believe” to be true, and in understanding them, these effects will become more predictable.

2 Likes