This is my Cereal Bowl.... Unlimited? Or Unnecessary?

That would depend on the breading. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I avoid sugary drinks for the lifestyle/health reasons as well, and have avoided them since way before I had diabetes. I used to enjoy an occasional fresh squeezed orange/carrot/ginger thing that a local place has that’s so good and full of vitamins and veggies and whatever. I don’t know that I’d find it worth the trouble at this point. Maybe if I was eating something with it, but certainly not on it’s own.

But for me the internal struggle comes from that blurry line somewhere between Soda and broccoli. I love a good veggie sandwich. But two hearty slices of bread aren’t going to do my blood sugar any real favors. At the same time though, i really feel like something like veggies and cheese on whole grain bread should be something that can be part of a healthy diet. Then you start to wonder, well, that’s a ton of carbs, but if i can find a way to dose properly for them, does that means it’s ok to eat anyway? Or are that many carbs in one sandwich a bad idea regardless? What if it’s whole grain bread vs. white? I prefer whole grain carbs when i have the option, but that’s still a lotta carbs. Anyway, these are rhetorical questions and I’m just thinking out loud. But it’s hard to figure out sometimes what’s “healthy” and what’s not.

P.S. Mozzarella sticks = yes, please! YUM. I figure that’s a good balance of some protein, some dairy, a little bit of carb, It’s health food, right? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I woke up this morning, had another stupid event, ran, and checked this… SO many things on here that made me smile. Yesterday I was feeling crappy and like there was something wrong with me that i either wasn’t WILLING enough or just… that there was just something wrong with me. Then there you all were this morning putting all of this stuff in here that I needed to hear. I hate “needing to hear” stuff. But some days are like that.

I want to respond to so many things, but I’m not even sure where to start.

I love this place. :relaxed:

1 Like

I couldn’t stay away. :roll_eyes: I’m usually very good at staying away, but I think I made it 6.5 hours… which was the amount of time I was asleep… so doesn’t really count.

I’d love to hear your idea. I had another silly morning, and I’m going to post about it to see what you guys would’ve done differently (because I’m sure you wouldn’t have followed this route), but that has nothing to do with your good idea that showed up in the middle of the night. :smiley: (Mine appear in the deepest part of a run, by the way, and disappear by the time I get home).

Oh! And I have no idea which thread we were on before, but I had another question about the warm up period and that being heavier on pulling glucose from the blood…do you know where we were?

1 Like

I’m convinced that the sandwich was put on Earth to make us happy. I love every culture’s version of the sandwich. I will never give it up. I will just pre-bolus longer. :grin:

Some lines I will not cross. I will not leave sandwiches behind.

1 Like

I have 6 a night…42 grams of carbs plus marinara sauce which comes to about 500% of my daily saturated fat intake. It’s pretty awesome.

1 Like

At this point in my life I’m mostly ignoring saturated fat. If i tried caring right now about fat and carbs at the same time I’d wither away. Mozzarella sticks are my new favorite bar appetizer because they’re a little lower in carbs than a lot of other choices. And so tasty. I’ll work up the guts to try a soft pretzel with cheese one day (my favorite) but until then mozzarella sticks are a good substitute.

1 Like

Which always leaves me asking, “why do i own ice cream?” Because that’s the only time it really seems like a good idea…late at night, low, and when I’m too tired to know when to say when.

Yes, please. I’ll take it all. I’m not sure if it’s the carbs alone that cause the problems or all of the other things you said, but it’s all the same in the end when I’m buckled in and riding it out. Thank you for the confirmation. I want to be unlimited… and, yet… I need to know my limits. :roll_eyes: I read this response this morning, and it was a relief… Whether it’s a weakness or a strength, I’m not sure, but I just can’t eat everything. It definitely is as much a result of my addictive personality as it is my disease, but, then again, who’s keeping score?

1 Like

Yes, if I may say so. I do think so. But I’d like to go a little farther and say that even if what one might find along the way IS the inability to eat a particular kind of food, can’t that still be a form of empowerment? To obtain the knowledge and to gather whatever bravery one might need in order to move forward… can’t that be empowerment and not limitation?

I have to proceed carefully here. I’m not sure I can say at this point that my leaning (heavily) toward the low-carb lifestyle is by choice alone… not at this point in my disease. This might be more a necessity. And I have to proceed carefully so as not to twist messages to the contrary in a way that is self-serving because as much as I want to tell myself that it’s okay to go with a higher carb diet, that statement alone has way more structure than what ends up happening in my life… a high carb diet is, by default, a complete dismantling of all order of eating, and the question of whether or not I CAN handle these foods is no longer the issue because I don’t know how to eat them in the way to ever truly be able to determine that. And THAT sentence had about 16 different verbs and MAYBE one subject, but boy did it feel good.

Thank you and GOOD NIGHT, folks. :running_woman::running_woman:

You can’t go to Paris and not have the pasties… something would be seriously wrong. Even I know that. And you can’t allow those words, in that order, to occur again in your head… “possible caloric gain”… you can’t enjoy pastries with those words swimming around your head. I’d erase those.

I’d like to get all sentimental and off-topic for a moment because this reminded me of my dad. He was a smart guy and my best friend. I remember the day he came to me and told me it didn’t matter if I was interested in basketball or basket-weaving… that he would buy the book and learn everything he could about it. And then he did from that day on… just take interest in the things I did not in the things he wanted. It’s not an easy thing to pull off as a parent. So… that’s really nice. :slightly_smiling_face:

This was an awkward aside… you don’t need to respond to it. :smiley:

2 Likes

This is the part I’m all about. This is the part that feels like it’s worth every ounce of effort, time, thought… money, if i had the kind to throw around like that… This is the part that makes me dream. Even at my age. :smiley:

1 Like

Which IS, technically, another way of being unlimited… just not as much in a good way…

See, THAT’S the part I CAN’T do… Limited. Right there. Very limited. I can’t repeat on more than one night and continue to try to improve… that doesn’t exist in my world. That’s the breakdown I referred to back in some other spewing of words to someone else. If I have gotten to the point I’m eating a meal like that, or a dessert, something that I don’t know every ingredient and carb count like the back of my hand, then already something has broken down… Like my will power. My resolve. I will plunder through the entire thing, bolusing blindly, piling more onto my plate, and saying things like, “might as well get it now… i won’t ever be doing this again.” Which is not true… and I think I know that, but I definitely won’t be doing it again the next night with THAT recently labeled FORBIDDEN food.

There’s nothing about that that is healthy. Nothing about that that is unlimited. But it’s my danger zone. It’s the darkness in the closet that, because of all it MIGHT be, is way scarier than any monster that might really be there. But it’s not skeletons in the closet… different analogy. :smiley:

Reasonable, attainable, sustainable, and logical… that’s my kind of Unlimited. :smiley:

I’ve always been the worst… now I didn’t actually know any, so that helped my self-esteem… but then I came to FUD and… still the worst. :smiley: HISTORICALLY speaking. I don’t hold the title any more except for on some days when I refuse to act my age.

I would like that. :slight_smile:

Well, it’s “run-walk” technically, so, since neither of us are getting away, we’re better off using lancets as blow darts. I have some extra ones.

4 Likes

Sorry if this is overly personal or you’ve already said so yourself – I haven’t read every post in these threads – but have you considered getting some sort of professional help with your eating issues? Seems to me that a lot of your (over)eating/portion/fear issues exist apart from diabetes, and trying to tame both at the same time is an impossible quest because they’re so knotted up with each other. You won’t be able to get the diabetes side under control until you have a healthier relationship with food/eating to begin with.

2 Likes

Some of the best stuff is revealed from “overly personal”. If I put it into writing here, it’s because I want it to be heard, and I appreciate your calling it out.

No, I haven’t sought therapy specifically for this, but I have addressed it many times. What is interesting, and kind of the core of the problem, is that I never had such a difficulty with food UNTIL developing diabetes. I didn’t develop it until 27 years old, and the diagnosis and new diet was like pulling the rug out from under me. By 27, I’d spent a lifetime learning how to eat, and although it wasn’t perfect, it was predictable and emotionless. It was also all carbs… and based on the idea that anything can be fixed with exercise. I had to adjust after diagnosis, and it was a rough couple of years trying to do so. Where I ended up is just applying the most basic labels, “good for diabetes” and “bad for diabetes”, and thus beginning the struggle with being a “good diabetic”. Almost everything from my previous life falls in the bad category… and that’s hard. So I learn how to push through as long as my legs can take it and then to be disappointed in myself when I hit a wall. And I’ve learned to be… to hate myself for wanting the things I’m not supposed to have. That sounds harsh and maybe dramatic, but it’s one part of who I am. Thank goodness it’s ONLY one part and not all of me, but it’s got a big presence when things start to slip.

I’m not this dark a character. I’m a lot of jokes and a lot of laughter… I dance all day and play with my kids and drink too much coffee and watch stupid Netflix shows. But I see the words up there like hate and monster, and I realize those are what got through before I re-read and sensored. It’s good for me to put them here and to see them. They’re me, too.

In this quasi-anonymous environment, where I’m a name but not a person, it may be that there is no “overly personal”. Either that, or I desperately needed to talk. Either way, I don’t want you to feel pressure to help me through this or even to respond. This is part of the process. The giving it a name. Before I found this place, I was hunkering down and testing. It was a good thing, but now I’ve begun to explore. That’s a good thing, too.

:dancer:t2::dancer:t2: And now I’ll dance. To lighten the mood. :grin:

2 Likes

So I guess this from me to no one in particular… just an update and tying together of things from the thread:

1. Got out my red bowl today after my run.
  2. Checked my blood sugar (and calibration factor cuz that’s how I do) to make sure I was feeding that right “thing”
  3. Then enjoyed my cereal. 2 servings, to be exact.
  4. And I was low, so it was good timing… and I even tried out a long, slow extended bolus to try to stay on top of the rise…

One time is not enough to define something, but it’s enough to make it a goal… and for TODAY, I like the idea of THIS being my unlimited… that maybe I use my bowl because it’s how I CAN be in control… it’s not a weakness but an understanding. Hmmm… that sounds familiar…I think I’m repeating word for word what someone else already said…

Which is not bad either…

Damn that red bowl. But it did feel okay today. You wouldn’t have any way of getting it from this post, but there might be hope for me yet.

4 Likes

3 Likes