The "What would you do?" game

I’ve started a new game with Liam to test his knowledge and judgement. Now, every day, multiple times per day… When there are treatment decisions that need to to be made, instead of telling Liam what to do I am beginning to play the “what would you do?” game with him.

For instance, his sensor stopped working and his bg was showing 160 before it went out, on what appeared to be an uptick in bgs. Before he checked his sugars, i had asked him to enter the bg into the shortcut and give whatever bolus loop recommended.

After he checked his bgs he called me and informed me that his bgs are actually 92 instead of 160+. He then said… Should i still give the bolus? Instead of answering it, I asked him what he would do. He said, “I would not give it since I’m only 92.”. I said, “great answer.”

Now, at least ten times per day I’m letting him choose what he will do with his treatment while only using me as a spring board or sanity check for the decisions that he is now making correctly 9 out of 10 times all by himself if asked what he would do.

10 Likes

That is soooo awesome! :star_struck:

He’s a rock star! I am so happy to hear about this. At some point it just becomes automatic. It’s no longer formulas and calculations, you just know what to do. He is well on his way.

:heart:

6 Likes

Soon Liam will be teaching his endo and CDE. Kudos for Liam!

4 Likes

You are a good father. That is totally awesome that Liam knows what to do.

3 Likes