The things parents hear from their T1 children that break their hearts

It’s just a bit disheartening to hear old timers like yourself talk about “the old days” and how you all heard basically the same things we’re hearing today. “A cure is right around the corner!” “Great things in the works! Promising things!” Here’s hoping, though! :fireworks:

4 Likes

I think the pace of cellular technology advances has certainly become exponentially faster over the past 10 years even, comparatively 50 years ago was the Stone Age…

3 Likes

@ClaudnDaye The difference between then and now is when I was diagnosed they pretty much knew diddley squat about diabetes. Today the knowledge is so much more advanced and rational. I just can’t see that there will not be a cure in relatively short order.

Even in something as mundane as dentistry, we are looking at dental disease on the micro level now, understanding the cellular processes that are going on, and it really does effect our treatment routines.

I know the wheels of medical progress grind slowly, but they do grind consistently.

2 Likes

Yeah, I get it. For everyone’s sake, I know everyone here would LOVE to be able to shut down sites like this one forever.

1 Like

I heard that being able to do noninvasive glucose testing was coming imminently back in the early 90s when I was diagnosed. It didn’t and still doesn’t work well, but I do have a CGM, which I’d take over a meter that can test without pricking my finger but still works like a regular meter any day, and I have much better tabs on my glucose levels with 1-2 finger pricks a day. So things do change, even if in often not the exact directions anticipated.

2 Likes

But what you don’t hear today is that you will be blind, on kidney dialysis and or foot/ leg amputations within the next 20 years, and we don’t know how to prevent it. I honestly did not think I would be here now, just short of 53 years with T1D.
On the other hand, my childhood was quite ‘normal’, taking one daily injection, and non-invasive urine testing at home until I was in early 20’s. (I confess, I stopped testing urine once I left for college.)

I also have great admiration of parents and their efforts in doing all possible to support their kids.

6 Likes

28 posts were split to a new topic: Losing job/insurance and the options that follow

Split post into a new thread as we were way off this threads intent.

4 Likes

I am going to flip this around.

The original topic - Things parents hear from their T1 kids that break their hearts - how about the complete opposite?

Several years ago after running I wanted to check my son’s BG, to see how running affected a non-D. He asked if I was checking him to see if he was a diabetic, and I told him no, I just wanted to see what the run did to his BG.

He said that if he was a diabetic it would be okay. So I asked him why he said that.

His answer is the opposite of this thread. It is - Things T1 parents hear from their non-diabetic kids that inspire them:

He said, “It doesn’t look like it is too hard. It hasn’t stopped you from doing anything. Seems like it’s no big deal.

I agree with everything he said.

It will always be a big deal to the parents of the T1Ds. That’s understandable.

But if you are a parent of a T1D, one day your diabetic son or daughter might think it is no big deal. And your grandkids might also think it’s no big deal. Aim for that.

10 Likes

Here here!

3 Likes

I am often very inspired and proud at how matter-of-fact, surprisingly knowledgeable and generally unfazed he is at age 3. That said, he’s in a developmental stage where his inspiring/big boy statements eventually devolve into gleeful recitations of the phrase “poopy butt,” so I am struggling to come up with specific times or statements.

4 Likes

:disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Doesn’t that last for about another twenty years?

1 Like

oh goodness I don’t know! I sure hope not, ha!

2 Likes

Inside the mind of most grown men lives a 9 year old boy who loves poo/fart jokes.

2 Likes

@Aaron is right: it never ends…

1 Like