The things parents hear from their T1 children that break their hearts

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Different BG in different fingers

And last night my son asked my husband, in a very calm voice, ā€œDaddy, next time can we not do site change?ā€

I think it was the fact that he seemed resigned, but just weary of the routine, that got me. And how much older than his years he sounded ā€¦

2 Likes

I noticed that too. The maturity comes so much faster.

1 Like

Last night while we were going to bed, out of nowhere Samson asked ā€œDaddy, what happens if I donā€™t eat or drink something when I am low? Because sometimes Iā€™m not hungry or thirsty when Iā€™m low.ā€

It was really sad to have to answer that question. Obviously, we couldnā€™t give him the ā€œfull truthā€ but we wanted him to know it was important. We just said he could get very sick and thatā€™s why mommy and daddy make him eat or drink something when heā€™s low. But afterwards I went to my room and had a little cry. Heā€™s only 3 years old and that seemed like a heavy responsibility for him to digest at this age.

And then he spent all night in the 300s because his sensor died and we had to insert a new one, so Iā€™ve been up for hours. :frowning:

Most of the time we just treat diabetes as another thing to deal with, like we all have to deal with. But sometimes I really do hate this disease.

8 Likes

This. Itā€™s hard enough for me to hear my daughter (almost 3) sigh and tell me, ā€œIā€™m sick. You need to check my blood sugar,ā€ because weā€™ve had a couple mornings sheā€™s woken up vomiting for no reason except that her blood sugar was on the lower end of normal, so she associates BG issues with getting sugary drinks and food (which she of course loved). I never want her to experience anything more than thatā€¦

4 Likes

:cry:

2 Likes

[quote="TiaG, post:42, topic:763"
Heā€™s only 3 years old and that seemed like a heavy responsibility for him to digest at this age.
[/quote]

You are doing a terrific job of helping him to understand whatā€™s happening to him and teaching him age-appropriate self-mastery skills. He will grow up Unlimited!!

5 Likes

Sometimes I do too, like when I have to stay up really late because I am low and I am afraid to fall asleep. But most of the time it is just something I have to deal with. And I think for your boy it is probably the same thing. It is probably harder for you than him.

It is OK if I fall asleep, though, because my father will wake me up if I need to. It is only at sleepaway camp that I canā€™t fall asleep. I ran into trouble once.

4 Likes

Or youā€™re high and it refuses to go down and youā€™re afraid to go to sleep and wake up 7 hours later with it being over 250 all night? :frowning: Youā€™re doing great @Kaelan.

2 Likes

Like right now. I had a hormone peak a went to 220 right as I thought I had nailed my landing after pizza. I hated that because it was my first extended bolus with my new pump and it was working great.

2 Likes

So inspired by all of you. (And maybe more than a little teary-eyed.) And, I can only think about all the love that you have for your kiddos, and how tough theyā€™re going to grow up to be (and not just because @ClaudnDaye is teaching them martial arts) but because theyā€™ve met adversity and overcome it. Pretty much every day since their diagnosis.

When I think of all of the food bribery that goes on with kids in the non-diabetic world, it seems tough to have to do uncomfortable things and have there be limited rewards. It sounds like you are all coming up with good ideas of how to cope with the challenges you are facing.

And youā€™re not alone in hating it - I hate it too at times. Itā€™s weird how it can be so business-as-usual sometimes, and other times be such a presence in the moment-by-moment life. Sleeping becomes this sacred, and occasionally unavailable resource. Eating, a challenge. Thanks to everyone here, I know The Force is out there, and eventually we will find it again. I hope you all find it for your kiddos too.

I was actually thinking of the what parents fear thread often this week, with the university in my town going back into session, and loads of drunk kids stumbling around town. And I kept coming back to the idea that many of the T1D kids here seem so much more mature than their non-D counterparts, I am hoping that there will be a carryover into their college years. I think the anecdotes from this thread reinforce my thoughts in that department.

3 Likes

Kaelan, I am sure Cody will be along this weekend. But our current pizza recipe, is 100% of carbs prior to the pizza and an additional 75% given in an extended 2 hour release.

4 Likes

Heard something new today from Liam.

As I was offering to pop him some popcorn, his question was, ā€œIs it a fast acting, or a slow acting?ā€ Iā€™m sure he doesnā€™t really understand what that even means, but it was nice to hear him begin inquiring more about foods and how theyā€™re interacting with his body.

4 Likes

Today I was telling Samson that we had to wait for his sensor to be working before he went to school or else he might go low and we wouldnā€™t be able to monitor his BG. He said he wanted to be low and he didnā€™t want to be monitored. I know he didnā€™t mean that, but I think he meant he was sick of dealing with all the care associated with it. It made me sad ā€“ heā€™s only 3, and he has a lifetime of this hassle ahead of him.

6 Likes

When we were using Skittles as low treatments, Liam wanted to go lowā€¦ We had to stop using them for now.

2 Likes

This was me, with sour patch kids, last year, heh. (I bought a giant box of individually wrapped ones, which seemed like a good idea at the timeā€¦) Adults and kids with diabetes, not always so different.

5 Likes

For context: My daughter uses the OmniPod insulin pump and Dexcom CGM.

ā€œYou know what I hate most about diabetes? That I can never be truly naked again.ā€

Today is Tikiā€™s Fourth Diaversary.

10 Likes

False.

Glad you logged on to celebrate it with us:)

1 Like

Happy 4th Diaversery to your daughter!

(And thanks for your omnipod tips they have been really helpful.)

And how to put this tactfully - you can be naked with diabetes if you want to - it just takes a little planning :blush:

3 Likes

@TiaG I truly believe that there will be a cure in time for Samson to enjoy it.

2 Likes