Thanksgiving is Upon Us, how will you be Bolusing?

@Eric, LOL a bunch of t1 moms agree with you, too.

F530F88D-DA5A-472F-B698-2A9ED3CF37AE

3 Likes

And Wal-Mart!!

2 Likes

So are you saying double for the whole meal–including dessert–up front? This is a radically new strategy for me! :turkey: :wine_glass: :sweet_potato: :custard: :icecream: :chocolate_bar:

I was thinking overbolus the dinner. You might eat more then expected and use the extra insulin. If not, you have dessert to head off a potential low.

So I would decide on bolus for dessert based on what the cgm shows. For us, it is a period of time between T.Day dinner and dessert. At least an hour like more like 1-1/2 ~ 2 hrs so it would actually give enough time to see how the dinner portion is working out.

The idea - which I generally do for most meals - is instead of trying to take the amount that perfectly matches the carb total, take the amount so you have enough in the first hour to cover the meal. That prevents a spike.

This is somewhere around double, since the half-life of insulins like NovoLog and Humalog are about 1 hour.
( These highlights do not include all the information needed to use HUMALOG safely and effectively. See full prescribing information for HUMALOG. HUMALOG (insulin lispro) injection, for subcutaneous or intravenous use Initial U.S. Approval: 1996
See section on Pharmacokinetics, elimination and t 1/2:
These highlights do not include all the information needed to use HUMALOG safely and effectively. See full prescribing information for HUMALOG. HUMALOG (insulin lispro) injection, for subcutaneous or intravenous use Initial U.S. Approval: 1996 )

The rest of the insulin, hours 2-4 is “extra”. More than you need, it will drop you low after that first hour. You cover that with desert.

So total all the food (except dessert) and double it. After a while you start to drift low because you took too much, and then you have dessert.

5 Likes

So I have totted up carbs for small quantities (1/4-1/2 cup) of Thanksgiving foods and came up with 70!!! That’s almost as much as I eat in a whole day!! :scream_cat: :smile_cat:

I’ll be driving 15 hours tomorrow then overbolusing and riding the roller coaster. I LOVE mashed potatoes with turkey gravy and will eat as much as I’ve done in past years. Friday I have a long practice hike/run planned to burn it all off.

2 Likes

LOL! And here I was, mentally guessing at a total if I was to eat some of everything my family makes (which I won’t), thinking it would approach almost 200, which is my daily carb total. :laughing: My family likes their carbs…

2 Likes

Well, my estimate did not include PIE!

1 Like

i will be bolusing accordingly. i will start to figure out how many grams of carbs i will be eating…if im not sure my endo said wait until you are done then give yourself the insulin so you arent over bolusing or under bolusing. ill have a better control, etc…soo overall accordingly and not be a pig as well.

1 Like

I don’t know if I’d listen to our Endo if they told us this. :stuck_out_tongue: By not bolusing at least SOMETHING up front, you’re pretty much guaranteed to spike to the moon for a while. Starting off conservatively is certainly something we would (and probably will) do, but just not bolusing until food has been eaten, at least in our sons case, would be catastrophic for 8 or more hours of the day.

2 Likes

Yes, this! I actually stumbled upon the “perfect” dose for my breakfast-on-the-go I’ve been eating the past few days (basically cereal, but a low glycemic index kind) by doing this. 20g carbs for the cup, and I dosed 1.5u 45 mins before eating, but when it was nearing time to eat, I realized my still asleep brain had miscalculated and I needed another .5u, so I dosed that when I started eating. I went from 70s to 90s @1hr. :open_mouth: So tonight, I wasn’t sure about dinner, so I did a conservative estimate at first (2u 45 mins ahead), then dosed another unit when I sat down to eat. Currently 165 (up from 101) @1 hr, so not terrible considering I ate an entire sweet potato… I’ll likely use a similar strategy for Thursday.

2 Likes

ill most likely bolus and then give more accordingly if i eat more than i bolused for

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ve said it on here a few times before, but my strategy is to prebolus for the minimum likely carbs decently in advance, and then take more either when I get the food and/or after I eat, depending on when I have a sense of the final carb count (some longer meals require three shots for me, since I’m on MDI). It’s still far from perfect, but it’s the best compromise I’ve been able to sort out for unknown meals.

3 Likes

I plan to shoot for the double as Eric suggested…I am hosting 23 at my place so will have plenty of opportunities to glance at the Dexcom and graze accordingly before and after the main meal. Planning to do a second bolus for pie. The way my holiday gatherings go, I ended up pretty high on the BG scale and spend the evening trying to bring it down last year. Hoping to reverse that this year.

This year I’m serving bacon wrapped turkey breasts, smoked on the BBQ. Smoking two today as a test run for the big event!

5 Likes

A turkey hookah pipe? Turkey rolling papers? A turkey blunt?

Don’t Bogart that turkey, man!

Your quote reminds me of a Cheech and Chong Thanksgiving.
:grinning:

4 Likes

Ha! That would be an interesting way to spend the day with my in laws, not sure it would work out for the best.

3 Likes

@John58 - Perhaps if you buffer it with some Scotch.

5 Likes