Talk me out of going back from Om5 to loop dash….or not

I believe so, I didn’t see any dashed lines when I reviewed the history.

It is complicated, and you need Dash pods. I’m very sure you will have the same problems; OpenAPS or Loop are not doing anything different from the O5 and I’m absolutely certain the devs who work at Insulet have ripped apart the FOSS closed loop algorithms (as they should, that’s the point of FOSS).

The O5 is the simple end of closed loop, everything else available at present is the complex end. The AndroidAPS approach forces you to use NightScout and then you have the data available to fix the numbers and, insofar as it is possible, make the algorithms work better. At that point you can take the changed numbers, they will be changed, and put them back into the O5 and have everything work better. But it’s complex, it’s work, it’s not something I would ever have done while working full time for someone else.

2 Likes

??? I thought it was known from public talks that the O5 algorithm uses recent TDD as an ingredient in determining the dosing intensity (to help adapt to changes in activity and hormone levels.) I thought that the algorithm in LOOP master did not use TDD. Have I got this wrong?

You’re just arguing by misdirection; my point was that all the algorithms are equal, not that they are identical. They each draw on each other. TDD is a result, not an input.

@jbowler Your meaning may be on target; there are a limited set of items that can be taken into account…ISF, ICR, TDD, etc….and each algorithm takes into account all or a subset of them. However, I think saying they’re “equal” is misleading. Each algorithm uses different factors, formula’s, etc. in reaching it’s conclusion on dosing. For instance, there’s significant difference in which Insulin action curve is used by the algorithm in making its calculations; and stock Loop uses a 6 hour DIA (duration of insulin action), others use something else or make it programmable by the user. If this wasn’t the case, there wouldn’t be “intellectual property” the corporations could claim as a difference, little or marginal reason for all the development efforts, and FDA review wouldn’t be required (hopefully😜). The telling tale is the different results all of us get from either the same or different products. As the old saying goes, “Close enough is only good for horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear devices!” (My apologies to any equine aficionados!)

1 Like

This has been my primary concern while I decide whether to jump to O5. Because of tunnelling, I inject my breakfast and lunch boluses. (And at dinner I always use at least a 2-hour extended.) I’ve experimented with a 30-minute extended with breakfast and lunch, but about half the time I get tunnelling by the third day. But if I’m injecting and trying to fool the algorithm, then the algorithm isn’t learning the true me, and it’ll predict “untrue” behaviour at dinner, when I am using the pod for the whole bolus.

At first I was excited about O5, but the more I read, the more I lean toward just sticking with the “old” pods.

3 Likes

Wait, do you understand the saying? Back when I knew it, there were only two categories in the saying where “perfect” wasn’t required for complete success, namely the game of horseshoes and the throwing of hand grenades. In horseshoes, if nobody throws a ringer, whichever horseshoe lands closest to the stake wins. No horses are injured (or present at all) in the game of horseshoes.

1 Like

Me, too. :confused:

2 Likes

I guess it depends on whether you intend that the algorithm to do the whole job, or you prefer the insulin dosing to be a cooperative activity with an algorithm that exposes enough controls to enable effective cooperation. The latter case is more work for us, but maybe we can get better results because we can dose more aggressively. The algorithm isn’t going to give insulin if it’s predicted to cause a low BG, because it’s only way try to recover from an insulin overdose is to suspend basal. So the algorithm is slow to recover from BG high excursions. Safety and a decent result, but maybe not as tight a control as can be achieved through cooperation with a person who has techniques like overboluses with subsequent carbs to catch the falling BG.

2 Likes

Wait a minute. Are you supposed to take the horse shoes off before you throw them?

:man_facepalming:

1 Like

That’s not required by the rules, but the distance between the foul line and the stake is 37 feet by the common rules. I can’t throw a horse that far. And anyway, what if you threw a ringer and the horse ran away? That’d twist your whiskers for sure.

1 Like

Mine was “ironical” as was, I suspect, yours!

2 Likes

Ahhh, there’s the rub! I thought Clydesdale shoes would be better due to size, but lifting that horse is a killer! And getting them to stay put with a “leaner” is VERY troublesome!

1 Like

As of 9/4/2022 4:30pm I gave up Omnipod 5 and went back to Omnipod DASH FREAPPS DEV branch.

I’ve been teetering back and forth about doing this after giving OM5 at least 3 months, but the main reason is this:

OM5 works great if you don’t mind running 150-180+ and are great at pre-bolusing at least 30 minutes before every meal.

But I’m not. I work from home, and eat when I’m hungry. I don’t always remember to pre-bolus before meals, and Novolog just takes too long at 30 minutes to start to bring me back down.

When I was on this same setup, I would use LOOP for basal and use a FIASP pen for all bolusing. It worked great.

Then OM5 came along and I got the FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) and wanted to try it. I did for over 3 months. But I just can’t.

4 Likes

9/7 around 1:30pm just changed out my first DASH pod. Much longer lasting now that I’m using the DASH for basal only and bolusing using my neglected FIASP pens. My numbers are a bit better but still need some tweaking.

As an aside, I’ve read that all those on the OM5 who bought or have approved Android phones are having issues and Insulet’s solution is to use their included PDM/Controller until they get it figured out. I’m sure a lot of people are not happy. I know I wouldn’t be especially if I bought a phone specifically to avoid a 2nd device. The wonders of new technology!

3 Likes

I haven’t even tried my phone because of those issues.
And I don’t care to have an extra piece of equipment around, but the PDM at least works.
I will say that I can easily keep my BGs lower with the tslim with Control-IQ, but am struggling some with the O5.
I figure I will give it a few more pod changes before I make any more tweaks to my ratios.

2 Likes

I’ll go out on a limb here and reinforce that Omnipod 5 works great for me…I’ve never tried Loop so I have no basis to compare. I have no problem with switching back and forth from Manual to Auto to make the Om5 do what I want it to do. But the thought of overloading my pea brain with more tech needed to run loop and keep it running does not thrill me.

4 Likes

@sakdene05 I can understand the concern of “overloading my pea brain”. But once you’ve got it set up (not that hard if you can follow directions) there really isn’t that much to using Loop, unless you want to modify/customize it. My brain’s no bigger than the average, and I figured out, have rebuilt twice in six months (once just because, once because of a strong recommendation by coders), if using the master version is easier yet. But its what your comfortable with, and if what you’re using is meeting your needs/expectations…

2 Likes