T1 Diabetic is a national league all star pitcher - Mason Miller

Pretty cool to see this guy pitching a fastball at 102 mph and to hear the back story. Let me see if i can find it …

Mason Miller (’20) selected to MLB All-Star game - Waynesburg University Athletics,

The part that was resonant to me was the following:

During his time at Waynesburg, Miller was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes between his sophomore and junior seasons. After beginning treatment, Miller emerged as one of the top players in Presidents’ Athletic Conference (PAC) history. He led the league in ERA (1.86), strikeouts (97) and opposing batting average (.173) and collected All-PAC First Team honors in 2019.

So he is almost an adult-onset type 1 diabetic - he was diagnosed at 19 or so. And then the other thing that many of us can relate to - can you imagine calling on your body to perform at a high athletic level while you were an undiagnosed t1 diabetic? It happened to me - and the athletic performance masks the diabetes - in other words you are using exercise to manage your blood sugar without knowing it. So that can often delay diagnosis. In the meantime, you are performing poorly relative to where you could be. So look at what happens when you get treated!

10 Likes

Cool story, thanks for sharing!

I am guessing he won’t be wearing the Dexcom on his pitching arm!

102!

:fire: :baseball: :fire:

2 Likes

It’s impressive to see Mason Miller’s achievements despite his late diagnosis of Type 1 diabetes. Managing such a condition while excelling in sports shows incredible resilience. His story highlights how undiagnosed diabetes can affect performance, and how proper treatment can unlock true potential.

6 Likes