t:connect-Android

Anyone else having issues with t:connect requiring you to constantly log back into the App when you’ve been out for awhile?

Earlier this week, I took the most recent app update. Wasn’t sure if this might be a new security feature. If so, I don’t like it.

1 Like

I can’t speak directly for this specific update but in the past that issue has been caused by BLE security updates

2 Likes

Yes I wish they would fix this. I have to sign in at least twice a day.

2 Likes

Yes, happening to me too, and often get error Unable to reach cloud. Sometimes reboot phone helps.

But keeps reoccurring, and I like using xDrip as main display on phone. Have to check pump for IOB, etc, when T:Connect not working. Has been happening for several weeks, and downloaded latest version, but still sporadic.

2 Likes

Looks like they are aware of the issue.

2 Likes

While I don’t recall the exact time it started, I’ve been dealing with this for 2 to 3 months now. About 2 to 3 times a day I get the error message below and then have to sign in to continue to view my CGM data in the t:connect app.

You recently made changes to your Connected Health Account. For your protection we need you to verify your identity by logging in again.

I get this message even though I have NOT made any changes to my Tandem account. I tried uninstalling t:connect, power my phone off/on, and then reinstalling the app. I still have this problem.

I reported this to Tandem and, yes, Tandem is aware that this problem exists. I have no idea when they will get around to fixing it. On the plus side, I have now memorized my t:connect password. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

“1234”?

2 Likes

No, the password is more than 8 characters and a mixture of upper/lower case, digits, and special chars. I’m paranoid about passwords. That’s why it took a while to memorize it even though I’m entering it around 2 to 3 times a day. :wink:

2 Likes

Me too; it’s all but impossible to type in the vast majority of my passwords because they are 40 or more completely random characters (well, alpha numeric - a lot of sites don’t allow arbitrary symbols, or do allow them then break.)

In the past when apps have managed to prevent use of my password manager I have been forced to change the password; I change it to “password” or some variation (p@assw0rd normally satisfies all the stupid requirements) then change it back when the problem is fixed.

One particularly bad, notorious, example is Inituit’s “TurboTax” program. For years they have insisted that you type in the the password of your brokerage accounts - they block copy/paste and don’t support password managers. This forces users with brokerage accounts to change from a secure password to an insecure one when doing their taxes using the program - Intuit are the EdgePark of finance, they insist it’s the brokerage firms requiring this but, curiously, Intuit do it everywhere.

I don’t use t:connect, but I regard a bug like this as a show-stopper. Forcing people to use insecure passwords in this way is the lowest of the low.

Afflicted people might like to try a password manager; look at Dashlane or LastPass, both offer permanently free implementations with limited functionality. Make sure to immediately cancel the “premium” trial with LastPass to avoid billing, it may be necessary to do the same with DashLane.

These programs are keyed in to the mobile phone accessibility support and behave as a keyboard; you can copy/paste the passwords if you want but you can also just have the password manager type them in. It is possible that iOS now supports this natively; it does offer to store passwords but I don’t know if this is just for browser apps. I don’t use it; the password managers work fine with the browsers and are cross platform (though you may have to pay for that.)

With a password manager repeated entering of the same password gets down to a single click. It’s still a PITA but it no longer matters how secure, or rather how insecure, the password is.

On Windows the fix for apps that block copy/paste is a utility called AutohotKey: https://www.autohotkey.com/ Similar programs exist for other operating systems (see the end of the wikipedia article). These programs support scripts which can use OS features to inject keys into the app as though they were typed - this is an essential requirement of some accessibility support. Appropriate scripts grab the copy’n’paste buffer contents and type them in, bypassing attempts to ban “paste” in the app.

3 Likes

Interesting you mention this aspect @jbowler , I use a paid password manager with facial and\or nfc recognition to auto fill password forms and skip the headaches. I have found though, that some sites do break when using a pword manager and a VPN. You get stuck in this circuitous bootloop of login\reset pword\login\reset word nonsense.

1 Like

Not an issue if you use password manager. I couldn’t tell you my t:connect password if my life depended on it (I guess technically it does…lol).

I just need enter my username which is annoying.

1 Like

I think most password managers remember the user name too; Dashlane certainly does. The problem comes with recognizing the app and then working out where the user name and password goes. This seems to be a lot of what manufacturers of password managers do; they have to battle with inconsistent app and web page layouts because there is no standardized interface for password managers (yet.)

2 Likes

This t:connect issue is super annoying. I use LastPass on my Android phone but to get LastPass to insert my username and password requires logging into LastPass which doesn’t stay logged in either. At least my fingerprint works most of the time.

2 Likes

For whatever it’s worth, Tandem released an update for the Android version of t:connect last Thursday, 04 Nov 2021. Since I installed that update I am no longer being asked multiple times a day to log in to use t:connect. The last time I had to log on was the Thursday when I installed the update.

So, it appears that Tandem actually fixed this problem. Thank &deity;! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thanks John!! I’m updating now.

1 Like

I just updated today, and appears to be fixed.

3 Likes