Switching insulin for pods

I had a long run successfully using Fiasp in Omnipods but my Medicare Part D drug plan does not cover Fiasp. So I switched to Lyumjev recently and it seems to be about equivalent to Fiasp for onset time and duration. Lyumjev is giving me sores at the pod sites with occasional pods that hurt so bad I have to quit them before day 3, so I am going to switch insulin again.

With this insurance I can get Humalog but not Novolog. Also can not get Fiasp. I have not tried Humalog for years. Are there any drawbacks to using Humalog in pods or any faster insulins that I should consider?

1 Like

Except for a few months trying out Novolog, I’ve always used Humalog in my pods, and I have no problems with it. I find it predictable (unlike Novolog for me) and there are no site irritations (again, unlike Novolog for me). I do need a longer lead time for prebolusing, but to cover that I often inject Fiasp for part of my bolus.

2 Likes

Grand Idea, thanks! This insurance weirdly provides Lyumjev and Humalog with zero co pay so it’s not all bad. I might try Humalog in the pod with Lyumjev for maybe half my meal bolus via syringe and go from there.

I started off with painful sites with lyumjev.
After a while of using it, it got better.
Now, I rarely get them. I still do, but not nearly as often.
Fiasp was giving me a lot of issues in my Tandem tslim pump. So I didn’t really have a choice.

Now that I am using Omnipod5, I guess I can give Fiasp a try again.

Either way though, Lyumjev pain did subside. But it took a while.

1 Like

I was on fiasp for 3 years, but had trouble with the pod lasting 3 days. Everyone at my clinic (Barts, London) is being switched from fiasp to humalog in pods due to occlusions in fiasp. So far the humalog is working better than the fiasp and lasting the full 3 days with no issues. Much better control.

2 Likes

Humalog did not work well for me in the pods.

It was fine when I used it with MDI, but it deteriorated in the pump and did not work very well on day 3.

1 Like