Survey: the trolls won the internet

This was some interesting research, and also a bit depressing: Pew concludes the trolls won the internet.

Let’s make sure they don’t win on this community! I am thinking particularly Sam and Eric. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think we should simply have a “Troll Flag”. If you sense a troll, plant the Troll Flag on their post, and let an admin look at it.

3 Likes

I am planting this flag on your profile right now.

2 Likes

What is my “cause”? What am I trolling for?

Insanity perhaps.

2 Likes

Sam is trolling for Afrezza :smiley:

2 Likes

He’s also a bit on my crazy train too.

2 Likes

@Michel , thank you for sharing the link.

I would imagine that community vigilance would address most trolling activity.

One recommendation is that when a forum user clicks on the url/link, that a new tab opens up, rather than replacing the current tab. I would like to be able to return to this discussion, as I read the Pew reference, or simultaneously be on the forum, AND read the referenced article.

3 Likes

That is a GREAT idea. I will look for an admin configuration for this and see if I can find one.

Your very own troll flag emoji.

:troll_flag:

Yeah, I’m having too much fun with emoji creating… :smiley:

1 Like

@Michel - Here’s the post.

This is an individual user preference setup. See below:

3 Likes

Trolls (and Russian bots) are certainly trying to take over Twitter.

I feel confident that our members are intelligent, informed, and diligent enough to insure this doesn’t happen to our lovely and lively Forum.

2 Likes

Is there a way to configure it so that it is in “open all external links in a new tab” as a default?

Not that I’ve found.

Actually, YES, there is! I just found it.

Admin --> Settings --> User Preferences --> ‘default other external links in new tab’ is now checked (“Open external links in a new tab by default.”)

2 Likes