Supplements for exercise and general

@Aaron oh dear - I do have the asparagus pee gene… looking forward to bright yellow (riboflavin, I think?), smelly urine. Good times. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Taurine
Thiamine
Carnosine
Benfotiamine
Active B Complex
Multi-Mineral
A/D/K/E
Magnesium - as needed to bring bg’s down.
Aspirin - occasional for high bg’s and to increase insulin sensitivity.

I’d be open to an Ace-Inhibtor - research I’ve read looks good. Assuming I didnt get the side effects: cough, etc.

I used Lipoic for awhile but it messes with my thyroid. Research shows it limits conversion of T4 to T3. But there are definitely solid benefits for some people.

If you’re on a higher carb plan increased insulin and/or increased carbs will likely be enough to drive T4 to T3 despite lipoic acid supplementation.

3 Likes

I am finally getting around to ordering some of these supplements.

I found this on Amazon but it doesn’t have piperine, it has BioPerine, a black pepper extract. Has anyone tried that, and is it comparable to piperine? Or is piperine even necessary, it sounds like not??

I’m ordering the tart cherry, too. They sound like they provide similar benefits, but I see tart cherry has loads of potassium, something I find hard to get in meals, other than in lima beans which I love but still hard to get full DV%

I switched to Fiasp a few months ago from Humalog, and I, too, find absolutely no difference in the timing of it. I do think it does have less of an impact on my skin though! It has reduced the severity level of the red welts left on my skin after removing an Omnipod. So I am staying with it. In your case, Eric, it might be the exercise you are getting!! :slight_smile: In any case, I’m going to try ALA :wink:

Besides tart cherry juice and the turmeric supplement, I’m getting ALA and B complex. I like that they are both vegan. Oh, and Udos Choice Oil. I wonder if this would be good for doggies :dog2:, too!? I might try it with them.

I know taking the magnesium complex daily made a huge, positive impact so I’m hoping these will, too! Thanks for starting this thread, @Eric and to all others posting!

3 Likes

@Trying and others - my info may be dated, but I do recall Trader Joes carrying tart cherry juice – might be better economics than amazon? I am going to poke around there next time I am at TJs. It was also super tasty mixed with seltzer.

@Eric – any worries on ALA affecting thyroid? After a bout of acute (deQuervain’s) thyroiditis, I settled in at slightly hypothyroid and take 25mg synthroid daily. Thanks! Jessica

2 Likes

Thanks for checking Trader Joes. That we old be great if they have a lower price. I did order from Amazon. Should arrive before Christmas. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Jessica, I have been taking the same amount of thyroid meds for quite a while. And my last blood test showed that it was still the correct amount. Which means my thyroid is not getting any worse for me. So I don’t think it has had an impact on my thyroid gland.

But probably a good question for the endo, if your endo is up on his/her stuff.

2 Likes

@Eric this assumes that I have an endo… :wink:

2 Likes

:joy:

@Aaron and @Eric

What brand name(s) and dosage of ALA are you currently using ?

Thanks in advance, and a Merry Christmas to you and your families

1 Like

Hi @Jim_YYC

I use the Londom Drugs house brand. They are 100mg capsules.

Their recommended dosage is 200mg every eight hours as a supplement.

I take 300mg in the morning and 300mg at night with evening primrose oil for a total of 600mg of ala a day.

I have read that it absorbs better when you take on an empty stomach.

I recall the recommended dosage being like 600mg to 1800mg per day for people with type 2 trying to control blood sugar. I am using it more for the antioxidant benefits but it has helped a little on the insulin side too.

Merry Christmas!

2 Likes

Thanks Aaron. London Drugs it is then

All the best to you and your family over the holiday :santa:

2 Likes

Hi Jim,
Merry Christmas!

Sorry for the delayed reply.

Since the companies and their product can be somewhat of a guess, I went with a company that has been around for a while.

Sundown has been in business for 40 years. I get the 600mg amount.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004G9Q7IA/

Merry Christmas to you and yours @Eric :santa:

Thanks for the advice on brand. Between what you and @Aaron suggested I should be able to come up with something helpful
Jim

1 Like

As we have been discussing Turmeric, I wanted to add another benefit I just read about:
(although I cannot attest to it yet bc I have not tried it for this purpose)

Turmeric is “supposed” to aid in Blood Glucose Regulation and Management.

anyone found this to be true? please post it if you have any experience with this or have read anything in this regard.

2 Likes

It is hard for me to say, because I do a lot of things that I think help, like exercise and ALA, etc.

So I can’t say specifically which one is working, but I guess it is a combination of everything.

1 Like

You know. I have been much more consistent about taking turmeric lately and I have noticed a marked improvement in the … steady-state-ness (???) of my blood glucose. As in, it’s not perfect, but even when it’s high it’s swinging less. Does that make sense? And I never, ever look at Clarity (part of the Dexcom software), but I just did and it’s giving me a better % time in range than what I think I usually have. So one hand raised for “sort of yes, I think so” on turmeric and BGM! [insert emoji of the woman shrugging her shoulders] - Jessica

2 Likes

Thanks for posting, @Eric and everyone for your contributions and posting of links to specific supplements you take! My amazon cart is loaded up.

Quick question for @Eric or @Trying or anyone who takes magnesium supplements! Do you take magnesium daily or it’s more of a just post-exercise kind of thing?

2 Likes

I take along with all my post exercise stuff, so it is kind of a daily thing. I don’t take it on very easy days though. So it is a mostly daily thing for me. I like it a lot!

2 Likes

@LarissaW I take one capsule every morning with my coffee. If I skip for any extended time, say a week, then the severe cramps return! For me at least, it’s best just to take it daily.

2 Likes

@LarissaW - I take magnesium (oxide) nightly with my other migraine preventatives. Supposedly it also can make you tired, hence the take-at-night (and not taking during the day and on a full stomach with the other supplements). I’ve been reading up on magnesium, though, and seeing the potential benefits of other forms of magnesium (e.g., L-threonate, glycinate, and orotate) and wondering if I should be taking those instead or or in addition to -oxide?

@Eric - my husband and I have been using the Udi’s oil in smoothies each morning! He thinks it’s making him even more energetic than he usually is (phew) and I think it’s upping my energy as well – a great add to our supplements. I think you and my husband should meet if you’re ever in Boston – the two of you would be a perfect match to talk technical stuff with running, supplements, science, etc!

Finally, I started the ALA today! Will keep you posted! Hoping everyone is well! Jessica

2 Likes