Stand Up Paddleboarding

Hi!
I want to take some paddleboard lessons! I’m looking for some suggestions for as to how to carry my stuff! I think I would only carry my Omnipod controller and some snacks. I’d want it to be waterproof and attached to me. Any suggestions! Thanks!

1 Like

Amazon.com : HEETA 2 Pack Waterproof Pouch, Screen Touch Sensitive Waterproof Dry Bag with Adjustable Waist Strap | Keep Your Phone and Valuables Dry | for Swimming Kayaking Boating Fishing Beach Diving Surfing : Sports & Outdoors

I have not tried this exact pouch but it looks like a good one. The other way to go is to clip a waterproof pouch to the board (which is tethered to your ankle) so it sits there high and dry when/if you fall in the water. Have fun!

2 Likes

I usually throw my stuff in a dry bag, and just have it on my board. Some boards come with elastic chord so you can have it secured, which is ideal. I put important stuff in baggies, within the dry bag to be extra safe. You could have a floatation on your bag in case it falls in the water.

1 Like

Thank you! Keeping things dry seems easy…watching it sink is the thing that scares me!

1 Like

Thank you so much! I will check that out!

1 Like

Totally! I secure my dry bag with a chord and carabiner when I kayak, so it’s attached, and a float, in case it somehow gets away. Good luck!

2 Likes

It depends on the paddleboard. If you are expecting to be on the water from more than an hour then go for a scuba rated drybag (i.e. one you buy from a scuba store; they don’t actually work when scuba diving) and stick stuff in there. This is what I do when white water rafting, canyoning (a new experience, well worth it) and on a hobby cat if it’s going to go on for a day or more.

That said unless you have a paddleboard with significant stowage space (the ones that are basically flat kayaks) you might want to just leave the controller at the shore. I don’t do that because my 'phone is my Dash controller but is also my Dexcom CGM receiver so I put the 'phone in a cellphone pouch (one I bought at a scuba store…) and hang it round my neck. I put glucose gel tubes into my pockets.

This is what I did recently, a month or so ago, while rafting. That was a 3 hour or so trip. I didn’t need the glucose, everything was fine. The problem was that the Omnipod floated off, something to do with my 20 year old Columbia shorts (with the nice pockets) wardrobe-malfunctioning it. I didn’t notice (other things to pay attention to) until I got back and saw my ridiculously high BG.

3 Likes

I spend a lot of time on the water, usually surfing, and always leave my controller/phone on shore. I get my sugar to the 150-180 range and turn off all basal and try not to have any IOB. I always carry a glucose pack in my pocket just in case I am out longer than anticipated and feel a low coming on. Generally when I return my sugar is right around 100 to 110.

Being active is always a balancing act with levels.

2 Likes