Waterproof case for tandem

I will be going on a canoe trip on August 7 and would like to know if anyone has a waterproof case for the tandem just in case I tip over!

Thanks,
Bev

2 Likes

Hi Bev!

The Tandem is mostly waterproof, right?

I think the problem with cases for it, is that the tube coming out of the waterproof case would make the case leak.

But the pump should be fine if you accidentally tip and are not keeping it submerged for too long. I think they say 3 feet for 30 minutes.

2 Likes

@Bev:

While I have not seen or use one, there is a case for insulin pumps called Aquapac:

It is also available on Amazon.

While I’m not sure that it’s waterproof rating is any greater than the pump itself, it would give you an extra layer of protection before you really had to rely on the pump waterproofing.

Might be worth looking at …

Good luck and happy canoeing.

John

2 Likes

@Eric you are most correct. IPX7 rating, so watertight but not waterproof. Also, I believe @LarissaW had numerous posts about sucessfully using an AquaPac for a water adventure last year.

From Tandem:

“Your pump is watertight to a depth of 3
feet (0.91 meters) for up to 30 minutes
(IPX7 rating), but it is not waterproof.
Your pump should not be worn while
swimming, scuba diving, surfing, or
during any other activities that could
submerge the pump for an extended
period of time. Your pump should not
be worn in hot tubs or Jacuzzis.”

2 Likes

Since it can withstand a little bit of water exposure, here is a suggestion.

IF you are wearing a life preserver (I know they are not always worn for canoeing like they would be for whitewater rafting), if you attach it to this location on your life preserver, it might get some splashing but would never stay submerged.

You would just need to make sure you are keeping it out of the sun.

(If this part stays submerged, you got bigger problems than your pump! :open_mouth:)

1 Like

Keeping it out of the sun is important. If the temp of the Tandem pump gets too high, it stops all insulin delivery. I experienced that sitting outside in the sun with the pump sitting on my lap. It will not start delivering again until it cools down. I’ve never had an issue with it in my pocket out of the sun.

Just wanted to highlight your point.

5 Likes

@jim26:

Thanks for that tip! I have never experienced that, but found a Tandem article describing more details. They are clearly worried about the insulin in the cartridge getting parboiled …

Here is the link:

https://www.tandemdiabetes.com/blog/post/general/2018/05/20/summer-friendly-tandem-pump-features

Stay safe out there!

John

3 Likes

Eric
Thank you for responding! I did read that in the manual but, I am fairly new at this diabetes (2016) I just wanted to make sure and see if there was something out there. I really hope I don’t have to worry about it because my plan is to not tip over but you know how that goes and add that I will soon be 65…LOL

3 Likes

Thank you John I will look into that.

Bev

1 Like

LOL about bigger issues and I will consider this or another type of floating device.

1 Like

You could also add a long acting to your current treatment plan and disconnect the pump while you are on the water and put it in a waterproof bag. Then take it out when you done paddling for the day.

2 Likes

I have the Aquapac case and would recommend it. You can see and press the touchscreen through the case. The tube comes out through the clamp and insulin delivery doesn’t seem to be affected.
I have not put it to the test by submerging my pump in the Aquapac bag. My pump is just too important to me to experiment with it, but it certainly makes me feel more secure in potentially wet situations having my pump in the case.
I think if you do an internet search you will find better prices than the ones on Amazon.

2 Likes

An easy way to test things like this:

Run an infusion tube through the opening, and inside the pack put a few pieces of tissue paper or toilet paper.

Submerge it, and then take it out of the water and dry the outside of the pack completely. And then take out the tissue paper and have a look at it. Any water that got inside will be shown on the tissue paper

6 Likes

I have been swimming with an Aquapac. It kept my pump completely dry.

3 Likes

This suggestion is way to simple to implement. Do you have any suggestions that are more difficult? Something that involves lasers`or welders or a Phase-Contrast Trinocular Compound Microscope to determine humidity too?

(I actually have no idea what you would actually use a microscope like this for, lol)

4 Likes

Thank you all for the responses and I am on the internet looking now and once I get it I will try Eric’s test!

Thank you to everyone for the responses! I really hope I don’t need this but would rather be safe than sorry!

3 Likes

How about filling it with Mentos and submerging it into a container of Coke instead? That might be a fun way of doing it!

2 Likes

Maybe after I use it! LOL No far to expensive to blow it up!

1 Like

That’s my kind of test!

3 Likes

Well thanks for all of the advice, I will not be able to get the aquatic in time for my trip so I will do my best to stay dry! I will com up with something that will help but may get a little wet, I will keep my fingers crossed on the pump warranty in case of an emergency.

I am not sure that I would be able to unhook and use long term because I am not sure how I would be able to figure that out. I still have Lantus from before I went on the pump.

Thanks for everything you are all great and full of knowledge. I am on here before work everyday reading and learning.

Bev

3 Likes