Spotting Podders in Daily Life

Just do it! “Hey, I couldn’t help but notice…”.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

5 Likes

Ask him if that’s a pager on his arm… Lol

6 Likes

It might be easier if you go to class with a good buzz on, then approaching him might seem like a good idea assuming his looks suit you. :wink:

1 Like

Bring a (insulin) pen to class and just casually turn the measurer part of it when the professor Stops for a breath. I bet you his head will swivel just hearing that those clicks

I heard those clicks at a med schools interview day and immediately knew I wasn’t the only diabetic there :nerd_face:

7 Likes

@LarissaW pure genius! complete pavlovian response, lol

2 Likes

You all are using diabetes supplies to catch each other? Never thought of that…

3 Likes

Certainly the simplest solution although I would also have to try to chase him out of the lecture hall after class which adds to the challenge haha.

As tempting as drinking before class sounds, I’m not sure it’s a good plan, especially since the class is at like… 1pm :stuck_out_tongue:

& I am taken, hence my desire to find a way to creepily approach him without seeming like I’m into him haha. A delicate line to walk I guess

Hmmm, certainly clever, I don’t really ever use pens though ahah. I’m trying to think of other classic diabetic sounds. Dexcom alarms, of course. Strip container opening coupled with lancing device clicks. Uhh. That’s all I’ve got haha

4 Likes

I think we need a thread for Diabetic Pick Up Lines and also Diabetic Let’s Just Be Friends Pick Up Lines.

I’ve also thought about a Diabetes Dating Service…like Farmers Only, but for Diabetes.

5 Likes

That’s all too dangerous for your purposes. I’m pretty sure all of those sounds are mating calls to other diabetics in the wild. Or, at the very least, diabetic flirting.

5 Likes

We obviously went to different colleges.

4 Likes

You and @T1Allison got me cracking up tonight :rofl:

2 Likes

At least it’s not just me! This was so funny! And SOOOOO TRUE!

4 Likes

Ha! The click of the lancing device for sure. In a funny-but-sad experience, when we traveled to India in 2005, everywhere we stopped with a lot of people (tourist attractions) - and EH whipped out his testing kit, people would rush up to him and beg to have their BG tested. They couldn’t afford meters and strips to test regularly. And T2 was becoming very frequent there amongst the upper classes. The sound of the meter beep and the lancing device was like a siren song.

Also, as far as talking to your T1 classmate I can suggest an overly loud and terribly enthusiastic “Hey, dude! Do you have Type 1!?!?!?? How do you like the omnipod?!?”

(I don’t think you’ve ever taken my advice to date, and you certainly shouldn’t feel pressured to make a fool of yourself. But I enjoy it! :rofl: :yum:)

3 Likes

My husband and I went to a comedy show tonight (it was so hilarious, a woman I’ve seen on Netflix several times and she was on fire tonight…and we actually had a sitter for our boys and no one got sick beforehand to cancel our plans…it was so weird to experience “going out” like normal adults do…).

Anyway, they wanded us and searched my purse before letting us into the club. The security guy looking through my purse saw my Sprite that I carry for lows and he said, “Oh, you can’t bring this in there. You’re required to buy drinks.” I pointed to my medical bracelet and told him, “I promise I will buy the required drinks. That’s just for low blood sugar. I’m diabetic.” He said, “Oh, okay, that’s totally fine. I’m diabetic, too.”

Then on our way out of the venue after the show, a woman said she loved my Omnipod on my arm and that her daughter wears one. She said her daughter always thinks it’s the coolest thing when she sees other podders.

And there was even a joke about diabetes in the set.

We’re everywhere!

9 Likes

I have yet to run into anyone else here that is a type 1 except the diabetic educator. In fairness there is only about 100 type 1’s and about half being kids on the island. I have heard there is an increase though. But I keep hearing whispers lol. The gal that came in to clean for a while knew a younger type 1. My chiro has someone else that wears a Dexcom. The hospital said they have a nurse that wears a Dexcom. There were 5 others that ordered Omnipods through a supplier on the island. There is someone else on the island using Afrezza. Whispers all around but I haven’t seen one. You better believe if I ever see one I will chase them down lol. And then they will probably be a tourist and not live here!

6 Likes

Marie, remind me again of the island where you live? Sounds cool.

2 Likes

Hawaii.

5 Likes

I’ve spotted two people in my small town in Germany with CGMs.

One of the was at the market on Saturday. They were wearing their FreeStyle Libre on the front of their arm, on their bicep, which I thought was strange. My diabetes team taught me to apply it to the back of my arm, on the flabby bit, but :woman_shrugging: whatever works for them.

I haven’t gotten the guts to talk to either of them. My German isn’t good enough yet to randomly chat to someone new without looking like a complete fool. :laughing: I did pull up my sleeve to expose my FreeStyle Libre in case they wanted to start chatting with me. :smile:

10 Likes

We were in Belize last month at a small dive resort and a very excited young T1 girl (10 yo) came running up to me the first day showing me her Dexcom! She was so happy to meet another T1 in the wild!! It was so nice to see her snorkeling, swimming and living it up!

15 Likes

It’s oddly so exciting spotting other pumpers or CGM wearers in public LOL

10 Likes