Spotting Podders in Daily Life

What type of diabetes is this? I’ve never heard of it.

Type 3c was a new one for me too. According to Wikipedia it’s also known as Pancreatogenic diabetes.

Wikipedia Type 3c

Could you get us up to speed on type 3c?

In my case I developed necrotizing pancreatitis in late 2007, and in an emergency surgery a significant portion of my pancreas was removed. (I don’t drink, so, no, it was not from alcoholism). As a result of the surgery, my pancreas does not make enough insulin nor glucagon (as well as digestive enzymes). As a result I am an insulin-dependent diabetic. (And 30-pills per day for the enzymes; and you thought insulin was expensive).

For me, control is a glucose level of 60 ranging to a high in the 300’s an hour after eating a meal. Fasting, I am typically in the low 100’s. So, pardon my chuckle when people freak out because their BG went up to 150. I am happy when mine stays under 200.
Uncontrolled BG is typical for type 3C.

I do use a CGM, mostly to alert me if my BG is crashing overnight I can go to bed with a BG of 150 and be awakened at three-AM with a low-glucose alert from the CGM.

So, to my OP about never meeting anyone with a type similar to mine, I would love to compare experiences with another T3C, but so far, I seem to be the only one.

9 Likes

Are you on a basal/bolus insulin regimen (taking a long-acting insulin once or twice a day plus insulin based on carbohydrates eaten at each meal)? There are lots of ways to help control after-meal blood sugar, and if you’re interested, lots of people here can provide advice. Many of us have improved our control immensely by participating in forums like this one.

I’ve had lots of wild swings in my time…not pleasant. Off the meter both high and low at times, sometimes unreadable in both directions within the same day. I try to be proactive to prevent them when I can. Obviously, that’s not always possible. Today I’ve been running >11-18 mmol/L (>200-300 mg/dl) all day and have just raised basal rates and gave yet another correction, so hopefully that will come down. You can never let your guard down for even a second, that’s for sure.

This is definitely an invaluable use of CGM for most of us. Many of us also use our CGMs proactively by watching for patterns then modifying our behaviour (or insulin dose!) to try to prevent highs and lows. For me, a CGM is most useful when used proactively this way, and it’s the only way for me to keep my blood sugar well-controlled and my A1c from drifting high.

I think you might be the only one here at FUD (welcome, by the way!), but I have definitely seen posts from people with diabetes as the result of pancreatic problems and surgery in other groups, though I’d never heard of Type 3c until you mentioned it. Your posts may well draw some of those other people to this site, since a lot of people probably come here through various Google searches.

4 Likes

Looks like we need to update our forums to allow folks to select Type 3c as their connection to diabetes. Thanks for your very interesting and informative story!

4 Likes

It provides some satisfaction that others see wild swings like mine. Typically, I try to go to bed with a BG of 150-175, and I will awake the next morning in the 80-100 range. Yes, I take Lantus and Novolog, but my endo does not want me to adjust the Lantus dose- currently 35 units in the AM and PM. My Novolog is calculated from a sliding scale depending on my BG at mealtime. Typically 30-50 units with the meal. My endo targets a 1:1 ratio of the two insulins and I have gotten closer over the years, but my diet still needs work.

Type 3C is very often diagnosed as Type 2 because the symptoms and treatment are similar, but pancreatic surgery is the basic description of type 3C.

1 Like

Seems like you would have more in common with a Type 1, although with a very different problem to deal with i.e. the Enzymes, than a Type 2 whose condition is generally insufficient insulin production and some level of insulin resistance. Although, honestly, once you start using insulin all diabetics have more in common than not.

2 Likes

I am caregiver to a toddler with T1 so I’m an expert on wild BG roller coasters. :smiley:

1 Like

Why “3c?” Why not just “3”?

Turns out that Type 3 was already taken, and has the same symptoms of dementia. So Type 3c!

1 Like

But why “c?” What’s the significance of the letter c?

I still produce some insulin and glucagon. If I understand, Type one’s don’t produce any insulin.

Was reading an article on Britians exit from the E.U. last night and saw that Tresia May is a t1d. Just saying.

2 Likes

Type 1s initially (sometimes) do produce insulin and it’s known as the honeymoon phase. Our son, Liam, still produces some of his own after 3 years of living with D.

1 Like

Maybe someone knows her and can invite her here. XD

2 Likes

She wears a Freestyle Libre!

2 Likes

:grin: Would be interesting to see what kind of roller coaster her BG levels are during a debate.

3 Likes

If it happens, Brexit could affect diabetes care. I read somewhere that the UK won’t be part of the common EU approval process for new treatments, which will likely delay their introduction. The Freestyle Libre is made in the UK though, but all insulin is imported :grimacing:

1 Like

There’s a podder in one of my classes this quarter. I’ve been trying to figure out how to casually strike up a conversation without seeming like I’m flirting with him, but we sit like 2 rows apart and I have no excuse to talk to him other than pointing out that I, too, have technology taped to my arm (Dex sensor) lol

I’m particularly interested in chatting with this guy because it’s an upper div class that’s included in both my major and minor, and despite both programs being pretty small and a continued membership in the College Diabetes Network chapter here I’ve never seen this guy before. He’s somehow managed to hide from me for all this time :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

7 Likes