SIGI patch pump - when?

Check this out: https://sigipump.com. Tandem just bought the company. Sounds like a big improvement, but am I naive to think we will see it soon, if ever?

• No more tubing
  • No more downtime (charging)
  • No more filling with syringe
  • Less waste than OmniPod
  • Medicare will cover under Part B
2 Likes

@Aronld Sigi, or whatever Tandem may rename it, has been mentioned by some discussing Tidepool Loop as the potential pump Tidepool’s CEO has mentioned as a pump partner for Tidepool Loop’s initial release.

3 Likes

I was actually following this, however very little information was available about it, but seems they were being tested in UK.

Here is a good video: Sigi - next generation easy-use insulin patch pump for closed loop - YouTube
My understanding about the cartridges is that they are NovoRapid (NovoLog for amreicans) and contain 1.6ml (160 units). so 80% of Omnipod Capacity, and about just over 50% of the 300ml capacity of larger tethered pumps.

I wish it was available in Canada already, would have preferred it over the Omnipopd Dash, mostly for the reduced Waste, and only needing my phone to operate.

1 Like

Interesting…I wonder sif this will be in addition to, or in lieu of the t:sport. I also wonder if it will be released in the US, or just stay abroad. Time will tell

All i can think is there is some design or technology aspect to this that Tandem doesn’t have. Not like this companies product has any customers.

I don’t know what else would be attractive about this company.

Outwardly it looks like a cross between the Omnipod and the Senseonics CGM. I found a podcast on Diabetes Connections that once I read the transcript I understand why Tandem bought Sigipump. They are going into direct competition with Omnipod in the near future with a smaller lighter reusuable rechargeable pump that uses readily available insulin vials, so no more getting the needle out to measure how much insulin and introduce bubbles to the system. Plus they think they can go 7 or more days per “pod” and just change the 200 unit insulin vial.

6 Likes

After reading your post I tried finding information about Tidepool algorithm and found nothing. Are you able to delineate how it might differ from Control IQ?

Do you mean the battery charge lasts 7 days? Or have they actually developed a new cannula that you can keep in for that long (fingers crossed)??

Well it was a Tandem rep who told me about their acquisition of Sigi. She seemed really upbeat and excited about it, gave me the impression that are actively working on it. Patch pumps are the future and if tandem wants to keep its market share they gotta get one out the door ASAP.

1 Like

@Aronld they are talking about their version of a cannula that can be inserted for +7days. That were also saying they make everything in house except the insulin vial, so no more being held hostage by Unomedical and the like.

2 Likes

@Aronld Sorry, I’m not familiar enough with the Control IQ algorithm to talk about it or make a comparison, but there may be other’s here that can. Here’s a relative comparison by Katie Disimone Control-IQ vs Loop FAQs – See My CGM and another by TCOYD Tandem Control-IQ vs. Looping - Taking Control Of Your Diabetes®.

2 Likes

Magic cannula. I wonder what it is made out of. If I try to use my infusion sets past the 72 hour limit the site starts to get sore and swollen.

2 Likes

Thx for these links. I already knew about the lollipop and pizza buttons. Helpful for children but hey I’m only young at heart. What I did learn for new is this six hour prediction window they use. How the heck is that supposed to work? Anything can happen in six hours, many of which that the software cannot possibly predict.

I was hoping to find a clear description of the decision tree used by the algorithm. I see a lot of grumbling on FUD and elsewhere about the “black box” algorithms used by the big 3 commercial pump manufacturers. Tide Pool is a non-profit company that is the end result of a heroic grass roots effort to speed the development of closed loop systems. I expect greater transparency from them.

OTH I think we also owe the looping community a lot of the credit for forcing standards to be developed for interoperability. Hopefully that means the next generation of pumps will let us choose between these algorithms.

4 Likes

@Aronld While I can appreciate the desire for a clear “layman’s” view of the algorithm, you don’t get much more transparent than the actual code being available.

True. But I find your answer glib at best, bordering on elitism. As a retired software developer I could take on that task, but the vast majority of people? Maybe they don’t have the re$ources to put an abstract or flow chart together!

2 Likes

Do you think the sigi pump will be more affordable compared to the other available pumps?

@Aronld I didn’t mean to be “glib” or “elitist”, and admit to some cross-over thoughts from Tidepool Loop to DIY Loop 3.0/Loop-dev. You’re right that as Tidepool Loop evolves into an actual product, TIdepool will need to take expectations of potential clientele, like yours, into account. I probably will develop some similar expectations over time, but for now I chose to respect the people that took DIY Loop, put in years of time and effort to develop and provide a product at little or no cost to me or customers (T1s) that need or want it. I think they’ve had their hands full in what they’ve done and will give them a bit of time to work out the refinements for a clientele that doesn’t yet exist and let them bask in the glory of what they’ve done. If/After they start charging me…then I’ll expect a bit more…

I apologize, my choice of words was a bit harsh. After putting off pumping for 20 years I am now in too much of a hurry to see improvements in the technology. I sincerely hope Tidepool can survive the transition to commercial success and keep driving innovation by pushing the envelope.

3 Likes

@Aronld I, like you and probably just about every other T1 and T2, would like the advancements to hurry along so I and the same group can benefit from them too! I count myself fortunate to be dx’d later in life and not having faced the pace of change in treatments available, but am thankful for all of you and those before that pushed the envelope that I’m benefiting from…now…HURRY UP! (Sorry, couldn’t resist…) :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes