SGLT2 (sodium-glucose cotransporter-2) Inhibitors for Diabetes: Drug Safety Communication - Regarding Rare Occurrences of a Serious Infection of the Genital Area

I get notices from the FDA and this one just appeared in my emails. Thought I would share it. It deals with a Type 2 medication.

MedWatch - The FDA Safety Information and Adverse Event Reporting Program

A new MedWatch Safety Alert: SGLT2 (sodium-glucose cotransporter-2) Inhibitors for Diabetes: Drug Safety Communication - Regarding Rare Occurrences of a Serious Infection of the Genital Area intended for: Patient, Endocrinology, Health Professional, Pharmacy was just added to the FDA MedWatch Webpage.

You can read the complete MedWatch Safety Alert that includes recommendations at: https://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/SafetyInformation/SafetyAlertsforHumanMedicalProducts/ucm618908.htm

3 Likes

Wasn’t this suppose to be the future of Type 1 diabetes treatment, recent drug conferences said this was the new miracle… Now we hear SGLT2 can cause your master of ceremonies to be eaten and ravaged by flesh eating bacteria.
I typically try and avoid the hype, but this is a total pass. I can see the reviews…
Yes!! my doc said my a1c came back at 5, my best ever!! Side note my Cobra has be eaten by burning flesh eating bacteria.

1 Like

Well, I tried an SGLT2 inhibitor and will say it was amazing for my blood sugar control. It did not totally prevent all highs (I could still get quite high if things went awry), but in general my blood sugar didn’t soar as high and highs were much easier to turn around. I only used it for six weeks before I decided to stop due to repeated yeast infections.

I will probably give it another try at some point. I wonder if using it in conjunction with a lower-carb diet (which I was not doing at the time) would be more successful due to less glucose constantly spilling into the urine.

1 Like

I am severely disappointed that I had to stop taking an SGLT-2. It kept my Bg below 250, and most often below 200. It stopped runaway highs and brought my standard deviation into the teens. It worked great!

Unfortunately, it so severely damaged my kidney function that I had to discontinue. As soon as I stopped kidney function returned to normal.

1 Like