Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 as collector using Dexcom G6

My 6 year old son recently got diagnosed with T1D. He’s to small for and refuses to walk around with a smart phone. It was disheartening to learn that Dexcom doesnt support direct communication with todays smart watches and send BS data directly from the smart clock to the followers phone.

I’m curious if someone has gotten their Samsung GW4 via Xdrip+ to work as a standalone collector with the G6 from Dexcom without having to have the smartphone nearby?

We live in Norway and most of the documented “supported” devices arent really ideal or easy to get. We also need a smart clock with LTE/4G/eSim.

Any help/guide is appreciated.

1 Like

There is another watch, Bluejay that can be collector with xDrip on watch. Several discussions here to search.

The BlueJay watch that @MM2 suggests is what came to my mind. On the good side, the probability his attitude towards the phone is VERY high and might come sooner than you think. My 6 year old grandson has been operating a phone (much to his parents consternation and joy at times) since he was 3! Try searching the group here for BlueJay and you should find a lot of references if you don’t know about it.

The problem with BlueJay is that it doesnt seem have 4g/LTE so we cant let him roam without having the phone nearby or attached to him.

We have several types of belt to carry the phone, but he is reluctant to wear them. Understandable enough, he has suddenly been forced to attach a sensor and pod to his body that wasnt needed before.

One solution is getting some pants with pockets that can be zipped so the phone doesnt fall out.

The phone is locked and cant be used for anything except send BS data to follower phones or parents calling phone or him calling us. This is what baffles me. The smart clock should only be able to retrieve information via BT from the G6 transmitter and relay via LTE/4g/WIFI to Dexshare or some kind of cloud service then down to a master phone to process the data then upload to Dexshare/followers. Why is this so hard to accomplish in 2022?

The newer types of smart watches are also small in size, waterproof, can be swimmed with, LTE/4G support, which would mean our kid could roam freely and send his BS data to us without worring more about it. When he gets older and starts carrying his phone we could send more data to his smart watch and let him monitor his BS levels more actively.

Olorin,
I have been using a standalone smartwatch first with the Dexcom G5 and now the G6. There would be 2 problems for your application; the watch is the discontinued Sony Smartwatch 3 (SWR50), the watch does require a phone to receive text or voice messages. It does work with WiFi that is unsecured. The Bluejay watch is another option but has the same limitations but is readily available.
I really like my SWR50 for a lot of other reasons one being the transflective display.
I did have a Verizon engineer tell me that they can modify the SWR50 to work with their system. I purchased my first SWR50 from Verizon the cell company in the US.

Olorin,
I have another possible solution. Your son could wear just a smartwatch that would work standalone to monitor the Xdrip+ transmitter. The watch can sync with a smartphone that is in a different but close location. The phone can then be used to remotely monitor and transmit the data to a follower. I have demonstrated that my watch can send the data to my phone that is a good distance away in a different building. I was surprised at the distance for the bluetooth signal even with a not line of site obstruction.