Running with OmniLoop

Great idea!! Good luck getting setup!

Btw, I finally bought an Apple watch and find it really handy for quickly seeing BGs. I added both Loop and Dexcom as a complication in the main watch face.

2 Likes

Me, too!

WOW - Ok so maybe, just maybe I will try this out.

3 Likes

Oh no… reading this thread I am starting to get sucked into doing this.

@trying - where are you carrying the riley link? In a pocket? How is the range?

3 Likes

Our first “official” Looping night will be tonight. Everything is set up and I ran a test water POD last night. Tonight we’ll see how it goes…we’ll do a “close loop” for the night and see what happens. Naturally alarms are still there if things start going high or low so I’ll wake up…the hope is that loop just lets me sleep through the night…but that will depend on whether we have loop configured correctly or not.

What scares me more than anything right now is this FDA BS going on. They need to keep their grimy fingers out of our lives. It’s a SHAME that they DIY community has to come up with these solutions on their own in the first place.

5 Likes

I hope you have a great, uninterrupted night of sleep! So excited for Liam and you guys.

4 Likes

The FDA BS was just a summary of “garbage in = garbage out”.

It is a good reminder that CGM data needs to be good if your LOOP is on and that LOOP should be configured to limit the amount of insulin that can be bolused in a period of time.

3 Likes

Since we’ve had a spotty history with the G5, we’re also going to test the Loop with Spike. I’m hearing overwhelming support for the Spike app by the DIY community and they swear it’s much more accurate than Dexcom for BS monitoring. We definitely will need to have solid BS’s being reported on to loop successfully.

1 Like

Me personally, I’d stick with the Dexcom data for Looping because the smoothing algorithm that Dexcom uses is what has been tested and shown to have that a certain MARD. If you’re using the raw data, I’m not sure if they can guarantee the accuracy.

I think the FDA warning was basically because someone was using raw data from the Libre and using an unapproved algorithm for interpreting that data to give a BG estimate.

I don’t understand all the subtleties here of course.

1 Like

Since FDA approved algorithms are wrong for us a large majority of the time, there isn’t any difference in my mind. FDA testing and approval means nothing to me if the results aren’t accurate.

RL comes with a keychain, so I attached it to the case of my iPhone SE (the small iPhone). So I won’t lose it!!! Yes, both can fit in a pocket, which I use inside. When outside I slip it in my bag, or running, in my Nathan waist bag. I think range is about 10 feet. I’ve not had any drops that I’m aware of with RL. I have had signal drops w/ Dexcom G6 though, periodically. I have Dexcom app installed on the same iPhone as Loop so that they can use Bluetooth communication. Yep, I agree w/ @ClaudnDaye, #stoked and #earlychristmas !! :star_struck:

3 Likes

I had awful results w/ the Dexcom G4 receiver. I was going to give up on CGMs until I found xDrip+ which I’ve used since G4, maybe 3 years.

I do recommend upgrading to the G6 if you can. I find it much less painful on insertion, and I believe it is more accurate. I do get a bit more signal drops with the official Dexcom app on iPhone than I’d like but it isn’t causing any significant issues thus far with Loop. I did have a sensor failure on my very first G6 sensor, and that DID confuse me, since I wasn’t expecting it!

Too many people (especially young ones) having problems with it right now. Definitely won’t upgrade until all these issues are cleared up. At least our G5 works. I just have always found it’s true value in the trending…not necessarily the current visible values.

1 Like

Well, I thought Liam’s current POD expired tonight, it actually doesn’t expire until tomorrow night, so we’ll be launching our first loop tomorrow night instead - don’t want to end a session prematurely.

3 Likes

Oh, I wasn’t aware of that. Man, my heart breaks for all you parents and your children having to go through this. I can’t imagine trying to manage another’s diabetes needs, much less one’s own child’s! Understandably, many of the DIYers are parents of T1 children, trying to make life better for their children. :angel:

1 Like

I know this thread and what you’re @trying (:wink:) to accomplish here is way bigger than this comment, but what you describe here is much like what I see with suspends. As much as I love what Basal-IQ does for me at all other times, I often choose to turn it off for a couple hours in the morning just to be able to control what I’m getting. Because my absolute biggest goals now are not doing any boluses or eating any carbs, I’m in a better position for that to happen if I’ve cut down on some of the unpredictability. The rest of the day I’m happy to work around the things it’s doing, but before my run, I need control.

I carry my phone and wear my watch, too… I suppose it wouldn’t hurt for me to just check to see how accurate it looks. There’s definitely some info in there I’d like to see about. But about you not being as speedy… it does look like you did 11.8 miles in 124 minutes during a casual workout when I just did 13.1 in 2 and narrowly escaped death. :roll_eyes:

Anyway. I can still dream. :grin:

1 Like

Thanks for this, as I am thinking to do just that! I love Loop so far, but I just can’t get it to work pre-runs. Today was one of my worst runs with Loop. I started at 99, switched to my Running override an hour pre-run, just as I have done successfully before. This time however, my BGs spiked up to 170 during the run! :frowning: I haven’t figured out why, but I disengaged the override, allowing Loop to give me temp basals. By end of run, just over 2 hours, I was back down to 89. So frustrating! I’ll try one more day closed loop but if I fail again, I’m going to switch back to open loop so I can control the basal manually.

2 Likes

I have no idea what the setting is, but the first thing I think of is how long before your run did you change it? As in, could there have been a reduced rate before you changed therefore setting you up for a climb? And did you have any carbs prior to your run?? Any obvious differences?? I’m sure you’ve done all this thinking…I’m going to go post a run now, but I’ll just tell you I started at a 166 which I KNEW was going to rise and hit it with a couple of very small boluses in the very beginning. If I hadn’t, I would’ve been at a 200 or higher.

I wish I had something to offer on the looping part. :confused:

2 Likes

I’m going to check your post out now! But, I actually had an inkling that my BGs might rise, too, yesterday. I’m not sure why I felt that, but something innate or just that it was already a bit high at 99. I had already gone through a low earlier in the morning so that could have had influence, too. :thinking:

2 Likes

It has been several days since I’ve posted any of my running results. Overall, I’ve found Loop to do a fantastic job keeping my BGs stable on non-exercise days, and non Dexcom issue days, ie., failed sensors :weary: Except for these days, I typically get TiR (60-120) in the mid 90% :smile: with excursions being non severe lows typically upper 50s during a meal for maybe 15 minutes, and a few upper 120s again around meal time. These are probably related to my Loop settings being a bit off and I need to tweak these.

I continue to tinker with my settings on Loop for running. I’ve found my best results is to use my Running override, set to Correction Range of 200, so it doesn’t start up a basal at all during the run as long as all predicted BGs stay below 200. I initiate the override usually 30 minutes to an hour pre-run. Sometimes Loop will already be temping me ZB even before that for a period of time though, so it may not even be necessary to initiate the override early if my BGs are already on the low side.

I’ve attached a Tidepool graph for Saturday’s run:

13:25 Activate Running Override (Loop switched basal to ZB)
13:49 Run start, BG 97
15:51 Run end, BG 82
16:00 BG 92, deactivated Running Override in Loop
16:17 1.2U, BG 115
16:21 BG 121 (highest)
For @Nickyghaleb :slight_smile: :
Run time: 2 hours 2 minutes
Distance: 10.1 miles

I edited the image to add the “Running” text in red. Too bad Tidepool doesn’t include Apple Health info!!

I did not have any carbs after the run for re-fueling, so I need to work on this! I did have dinner early at 6pm so not too far off time wise for re-fueling but I know, probably not sufficient carbs! :frowning:

Apple workout shows 2 hours and 2 minutes running, a distance of 10.1 miles BUT the map it shows is not accurate! It has my start/end at different places! Still, I’m glad it includes the map so I can see whether it is consistent with the numbers!! The distance is probably closer to 12 miles.

Yesterday’s run was only for 1’37’’, and Apple shows distance as ONE mile, despite showing the map fairly accurately!!! :grimacing: I did stop a few times to check BG and to take a photo, but distance was certainly not one mile!! Go figure, not sure why the inaccuracy!

Another annoying thing about Apple Workout is that it doesn’t always record workouts! I did an 8 mile bike ride yesterday afternoon, selected Record, and Done on finish, but the workout is not shown in the Health app! :thinking:

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get Apple Workout to be more accurate and ensure workouts are captured?? Perhaps I am doing something wrong? :thinking:

Also, my Tidepool chart shows a pretty significant low pre-breakfast, despite ZB by Loop, so I’m thinking I need to lower my basal from 0.5 to perhaps 0.45. I haven’t done this yet, but as I experienced this again this morning, I probably will lower the basal a bit tonight. I will also run autotune to see what it recommends. I haven’t run it since I began Loop. At that time, autotune confirmed my OmniPod settings but I have adjusted those a bit in Loop.

3 Likes