Rheumatoid Arthritis and type 1

Does anyone here have a child with type 1 and Rheumatoid Arthritis? I have a 6 year old daughter with both. Boy is it challenging!!!

2 Likes

I’m sorry to hear your daughter has both. I have other autoimmune conditions besides Type 1, as well as other chronic health issues, many of which I’ve had since I was a child. Managing multiple chronic health issues is never easy! I have a lot of admiration and respect for any parent of a child who juggles these challenges.

2 Likes

@Nreid77, I am so sorry your daughter has both. T1D is bad enough, to add RA on top must be so hard for her.

1 Like

Thank you!! It is hard. Mainly because it’s another medicine she needs.to take to manage her diseases. And it makes her really really naseous and sometimes vomit. I wonder how it might affect her Blood sugar too?

1 Like

So sorry to hear your daughter has both of the these autoimmune diseases. It is heartbreaking esp as she is so young.

I don’t have any advice other than just that whenever I am sick, my BGs skyrocket even without food intake. If she is vomiting, too, you’ll also have to monitor her BGs for lows. She may not be able to eat something to prevent a low so it is a good idea to have an glucagon emergency kit available.

I myself have Type 1 and RA. I’m 63 and was diagnosed with T1 at age 22, and with RA at age 42. Yes, it is a challenge, but I didn’t let it limit me. There are lots of RA meds and if your daughter is having bad side effects from one then you should talk to your rheumatologist about trying a different one. Good luck!

2 Likes