Sorry I've been away so long

Well, I’m back, for whatever that’s worth.

To make a long story short, I’ve been overwhelmed with: trying to keep my house after estranged husband left me with high five-figure IRS debt, increasing work hours frequently up to 15 per day to pay said debt, #Resistence work (marches, demonstrations, Twitter, calls to Congress), struggling with almost-15-year-old Type 1 daughter who has essentially shut me out of her D-care. This has resulted in plummeting A1c’s. I am not exaggerating:

3rd most recent endo appointment: A1c = 6.5. :slightly_smiling_face:
2nd most recent endo appointment: A1c = 7.0 :slightly_frowning_face:
Most recent endo appointment: A1c = 7.5 :cry:

I don’t feel hopeless, but I’m overwhelmed and exhausted.

Thank you for listening and I hope everyone is doing as well as possible during this difficult time in our history when our Constitution is being :poop:upon by our illegitimate president and GOP-majority Congress.

7 Likes

And who are you again? :confused:

Ha, just kidding! Glad you posted something Rose. I thought you were lost forever.

We are still here. Willing to help in whatever way we can. Not so much with IRS and political marches, but with all the other things.

4 Likes

Thank you, Eric!

It feels good to be back. I might not be around as much as I’d like right now, but I promise not to go away forever.

5 Likes

Glad to see you’re still fighting, @rgcainmd! So sorry to hear that things with your daughter are difficult. Must be so very hard!

2 Likes

I think the forum actually has more parents than T1’s. They can tell you more about the parenting stuff.

I know that I always tried my best to have good control when I was younger, simply because it felt better. Nobody wants to feel crappy. Having good BG always felt better, so I did it for that reason.

Taking care of D is not fun. There is no motivation in it by itself. But feeling good is always a motivation.

There are possibly some easier ways to deal with it. Counting carbs for everything you eat and trying to calculate the correct dose is not really easy. It’s simpler to look at what you ate and realize that if you went high after the meal, you either didn’t take enough or didn’t take it soon enough. And just make an adjustment the next time. I don’t think every meal needs to be spent looking at a bunch of numbers.

Also, higher basal and just grazing throughout the day when low is possibly easier for a teenager. As long as there is some discipline to not eat the whole bag of cookies.

And then there is always the thing of - Car? Driver’s license? You want to get your learner’s permit? Get your A1C below 7.0…

And finally:

Give this up for a bit. @Sam and @docslotnick can take over for you, while you focus on helping your daughter get squared away. :wink:

5 Likes

Good to hear from you again @rgcainmd! Sorry about all of your travails.

It might help to forget about that silly resistance stuff, and just make sure you keep a sharp lookout for Russians under your bed :grin:

3 Likes

Good to see you here!

2 Likes

Hey! I remember being a 15 girl with diabetes. I know part of why my control got worse around then was all the emotional and social turmoil in my life, only a fraction of which my parents were aware of. My suggestion would be to avoid something that could feel punitive like the drivers permit approach (would have just made me angry and deepened the divide, probably without solving whatever the issues were), and ask her what she thinks could be helpful in at least keeping things from getting more out of control (staying at 7.5 for now is better than going higher after all). Also, does she have a therapist? If not, any chance she could see one familiar with diabetes? And/or have more appointments with a teen-knowledgable NP who could meet with her more regularly to strategize? Sometimes taking parents out of the picture makes teens more willing to open up about what’s going on and to problem-solve, just because that’s the nature of teens. Good luck!

3 Likes

Glad you are back Rose, in whatever capacity you can manage. Can’t help on many of the fronts you are dealing with, but can absolutely commiserate on the D-care front. My 14.5 year old son, has taken over complete control of his D management. He is doing a good job right now, but we are always on the lookout for the cliff. He will ask to confirm once in a while, but often it seems like it is too much to even tell us that he treated a low. He is like “you can see the dexcom data, so you shouldn’t worry.” Like the Dex tells us if he treated…

3 Likes

Glad to see you back, Rose! I hope you realize that although there’s a lot of stress in your life, some of it can wait… I’ve had to come to the same realization myself…

2 Likes

Welcome back Rose. Sorry to hear about the struggles you’ve had and the stress that comes with having so much on your plate at once.

What comes to mind is “she persisted”! :smirk:

3 Likes

It’s kinda like that when I ask my 15 year old about homework. :slightly_smiling_face:

“When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years.”

• original source unknown, often attributed to Mark Twain
4 Likes

So glad to have you back, Rose! Here’s hoping your daughter has a come-to-insulin moment with her D-care. We’re always around to listen!!

4 Likes

:heart:

Welcome back. Sorry you’ve been having an especially rough time with things lately, but wonderful to see you around again.

3 Likes

Rose, we’ve missed you! Do take care of yourself and stay in touch.

3 Likes

You all … I don’t have words. I’m feeling the love and it is lifting me up and towards my old, more stable life.

It’s true: That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.

I’m feeling a little stronger just about every day.

I love you all! :heart:️:heart:️:heart:️

8 Likes

YOU GO GIRL!

Doc, she just got here. Don’t send her away so quickly.
:smile:

3 Likes

Rose, it is SO GREAT to see you post!! I am so thrilled!

1 Like

Hey, look who’s here! Nice to see you, Rose. Sorry to hear about your troubles, nothing spells F-U-N like a T1 hitting adolescence. But you’re back among your peeps–hope you can stick around!

4 Likes